MaineDad

Gear Reduction and Swept Axle for C-120 & Ark Loader

MaineDad

Tomorrow Darren and I are going to upgrade my 1977 C-120 with the Ark Loader to the gear reduction / forward swept axle setup;

photo%201_zpsnrauyzmo.jpg

photo%202_zpsbaeblwwb.jpg

Any insight or tips before we start? Any custom work needed? Its a dedicated loader tractor so the bellcrank and lift arm have been removed. Thanks in advance and of course I will post some pictures.

MaineDad

Here's what is being installed;

image2_zpsykwzs1jz.jpg

c-series don

Only thing I can say is I wish I had that set up for my C-141 with loader. After years of use my steering now skips. One of these days I will get that set up,good luck with yours.

stevebo

You will need to drill 2 more holes in the frame for the steering block. Good luck!

MalMac

You will probably need to grind a little off the lifting bell crank. If I remember right about a 1/8".  The crank just touches the back of the bevel gear.  I just got done with my second conversion because my C141 was getting wore out with a Ark on it. Put the steering reduction on a 414-8 that the loader is going on. 

stevebo

You will probably need to grind a little off the lifting bell crank. If I remember right about a 1/8".  The crank just touches the back of the bevel gear.  I just got done with my second conversion because my C141 was getting wore out with a Ark on it. Put the steering reduction on a 414-8 that the loader is going on. 

​It was so long ago I did mine I forgot about that. Get the grinder out....

bmsgaffer

​It was so long ago I did mine I forgot about that. Get the grinder out....

​He said its a dedicated loader, so he removed the bell crank... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by bmsgaffer

MaineDad

Ok. Update. As instructed I had to drill the extra two holes. No problem except that the battery tray no longer fits between the engine and the steering block with this new set up. So, I am going to upgrade to an automotive battery and put it in the weight box in some type of marine box with a cover. Will take pictures tomorrow. 

MaineDad

Yeah no bell crank :)

MalMac

Yeah, I really goofed that one up. 
Duh, but if you did have a bell crank you got to grind it. Lol.

wh5208speed

​If you have access to the 520H parts tractor that you got your gear reduction steering from, you can use it's bell crank and it will clear without modification.

Thad

MaineDad

So as mentioned above, if you do this upgrade on a 1977 C series, you will not have room for the battery and tray that was originally bolted right to the frame between the steering block and engine. So what I chose to do was to cut off the bolts on the battery tray and drill two new holes that match up with the bolts for the lift cable tube on top of the transmission;

photo_zpsfiszk5iv.jpg

As you can see there is plenty of room under the seat. I went to Napa and bought two 2 gauge (red and black) 42" battery cables for $9 each. Installed everything back together and fired right up. I'll take better pictures later if the dang sun actually comes out.