Nathanielperz

1276 trike mod

Nathanielperz

Hey guys I have an idea and I want some opinions and some advice as to how I could do it...

So just try to stay with me here haha I'm trying to take my mental image and turn it into words so bare with me...

what I want to do is make a second front axle for my 1276 but make it a trike front end. Sounds simple enough but here's the catch I want to be able to switch between the trike front end and the original.
my plan would be to use the original front end for actual "work" and use the trike for fairs, shows, cruises etc. because I think the trike would make the tractor tippy with all the hills on the property.

Feel free to ask questions and tips and ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Nate

I have attached pictures of my wheel horse with the original front end and a different wheel horse with a trike...

wheel horse trike.png

gallery_12518_492_161716.jpg

stevebo

The tractor in the picture was built by one of our own here. He may chime in. 

bmsgaffer

I believe the trike setup takes some pretty significant steering modifications to work properly. It would require some serious engineering to make it swappable...

• Like 1

Coadster32

I think what you're trying to accomplish is doable, but you should go thru previous posts about the steering setup. IIRC...it's a chain sprocket setup tucked under the angle iron frame rails. Really nice design by a couple/few of our members who did it. It might seem a little strange on the regular axle, but don't see why it wouldn't work. Good luck. 

octfst

I ran into a guy at Portland selling a conversion kit. had everything even tires. it was a bolt in and used a shorter tierod . It was for a round hood but sure they could be made to fit a square hood easy enough.

953 nut
suppose it is conceivable to make a removable tricycle front end, but I am afraid it wouldn't be satisfactory due to too many moving parts that wouldn't be as tight as they could be if welded. The support for the front wheels could be inserted into the cradle that supports the front axle. It could have bearings installed on both ends and would need some sort of support going back to the frame to stabilize it. There would also have to be a steering arm  connected to the shaft. From the front of the fan gear shaft you would have to fabricate a bell crank assembly to convert the side to side motion to a front to rear motion.

It is doable and I hope you do it and share lots of pictures as you go along.   
:woohoo:

Nathanielperz

I ran into a guy at Portland selling a conversion kit. had everything even tires. it was a bolt in and used a shorter tierod . It was for a round hood but sure they could be made to fit a square hood easy enough.

​Do you happen to have any contact info for this guy in Portland octfst?

I also realized a flaw in my design... if I use the same bracket that the original axle uses which allows it to articulate for driving over rougher terrain wouldn't that make the trike just tip to one side or the other and make it lean to one side or the other?

Thanks- Nate

• Like 1

octfst

Don't know his contact info. He has mine. Hoping to see him in Evensville In. June 10-13. It bolted to the frame.  just remove front axle and bolt on. saddle to the frame & 1 short tie rod total of 2 or 4 bolts for saddle & 2 nuts for tie rod. He sells them but there something like $350

953 nut

I also realized a flaw in my design... if I use the same bracket that the original axle uses which allows it to articulate for driving over rougher terrain wouldn't that make the trike just tip to one side or the other and make it lean to one side or the other?

Thanks- Nate

​If you build a fixture that fits all the way up into the front axle bracket and add a set screw on each side it could be tightened once the pivot pin is installed, should also be braced back to the frame.

Thanks- Nate​

Nathanielperz

A kit would defiantly help me out a lot! let me know if you know of anybody who sells them or can point me in the right direction.

-Nate 

Nathanielperz

The tractor in the picture was built by one of our own here. He may chime in. 

​Steve can you tell me who made that tractor in my first post? I would really like to talk to him.

Thanks, Nate

jeremi3210

I think if I were you I would just buy another wh and make one into a narrow front and keep the other original. But be careful 1 turns into 2 pretty soon you have 20.

IMAG0280-1.jpg

Edited by jeremi3210
  • Like 3

953 nut

Here is a drawing of the front end I was suggesting with the trailer hub as the pivot point.

5b3e9c2817108_narrowfront..jpg.624dfd6b723543cd2dc13f8e6f3836d3.jpg

RobinKelley
On 7/4/2021 at 12:02 PM, Wheel Horse 3D said:

2 1/8 inch Badges now in the store! Available in natural "steel" or painted silver, and as a single left facing, or Left and right facing pair.

20210703_094746.jpg

20210703_100848.jpg

On 6/27/2021 at 1:16 AM, Wheel Horse 3D said:

BIG show...

Had a great time at the show! Thanks to everyone who stopped by and we got to meet

@pullstart and family, @WHX24 @Achto @roadapples @Sparky @rjg854 @Suburban 550 just to name a few!

Mrs had a great time milling around and visiting everyone and thanks everyone!

Lessons

1. Bring more keychains

2. Go up Wed nigjt(cuz while thurs is setup, its still pretty busy)

Possible pending projects from show

Light buckets for the black noses, customizable gt 14 dashes, square badges, 4in inserts for plastic wheel weights, and more!

On 5/29/2015 at 7:56 AM, octfst said:

I know this is a old post,but any chance of contacting guy in portland

Wheel Horse 3D

Dunno about prtland guy, but @953 nut has a great post on doing a narrow front end

"Narrow front end 953 - Restorations, Modifications, & Customizations - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum" https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/79781-narrow-front-end-953/?tab=comments#comment-781373