John Galt

Gt 14 321 kohler triangle coil, no spark slow death

John Galt

A year and a half ago my gt 14 started to run bad, low power output. Then it quit running as a pulled a load of wood and I couldn't start it again. When I trouble shot the tractor the electronic box was pretty corroded. Then a wire came off. So I replaced the box.  I've drained the gas rebuilt the carb and It fired off maybe three or four sparks. Now, I get nothing. I haven't been able to find the coil that is triangular. This kohler doesn't have any points.

My question is could it be something else?  Any ideas welcomed.

gt14 coil.jpg

gt14 electronics.jpg

gwest_ca

A year and a half ago my gt 14 started to run bad, low power output. Then it quit running as a pulled a load of wood and I couldn't start it again. When I trouble shot the tractor the electronic box was pretty corroded. Then a wire came off. So I replaced the box.  I've drained the gas rebuilt the carb and It fired off maybe three or four sparks. Now, I get nothing. I haven't been able to find the coil that is triangular. This kohler doesn't have any points.

My question is could it be something else?  Any ideas welcomed.

gt14 electronics.jpg

​The finned box looks like an aftermarket rectifier/regulator for the charging system. That simply controls the charging voltage to keep the battery charged up and has nothing to do with the ignition.

The ignition is self-powered and the single ignition wire that goes to the ignition switch grounds the ignition to shut it off. With the ignition switch in RUN or START position that wire should not be connected to anything and the ignition should work. See if you can disconnect that ignition wire near the coil and try again. Doing this will eliminate any chance the ignition wire is grounded and preventing the ignition from working. Remove the spark plug and lay it on top of the engine with the spark plug wire connected to it. You should see spark at the plug tip when cranking. The metal hex on the spark plug needs to be grounded to the engine metal to complete the circuit. A special test plug has a spring loaded clamp so it can be clipped onto the engine but not everyone has such a tool. If you have booster cables clamp the plug hex into one cable end and the other end onto a good chassis ground.

Let us know what happens.

Garry 

Edited by gwest_ca

pfrederi

Kohler manual has diagnostics for your ignition system

electronic.JPG

• Like 1

John Galt

Thanks for your post. I'll try your advise tomorrow. I did have a spark at the plug as you suggested. Then I didn't. Now I have a direction to start trouble shooting. I'll post what I find.

John Galt

I've done the test as follows. Coil checked at 13k ohms. the diode test with the ohm meter indicates the diodes are good. Src test also checked good.
Could it be the ignition switch? I did get another new plug. Ideas?

gwest_ca

Only thing I can think of is to remove the ignition wire that goes to the switch from the engine end of the wire. If there is a short to ground somewhere between the coil and the ignition switch it will defeat the ignition. That would also rule out a faulty ignition switch.

Garry

Rob R

I totally agree with taking the shroud off and chking all the wires first, I had an identical problem and that's what it was, also to prevent damage to the electronic module (it is very sensitive) Wheel horse does not directly short the module directly to ground they put a resistor in the line going to ground, this line and all the connections were loose and shot I completely replaced this and put in the line a larger one (Radio Shack) on the same resistance, carefully soldered and sealed everything with good shrink wrap spaghetti and this solved all my issues. Hope this helps 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• tractorboy79
      By tractorboy79
      I have a old gt14 and the plastic plates or control panels are way past their prime, and I saw someone was remarking them with a 3d printer a little while back and I was looking to se if I could find the file but no luck. If anybody has info that would be amazing. Thanks for your time and anything helps.
    • Duramax7man7
      By Duramax7man7
      Very Solid tractor! Starts right up and Runs and Cuts like a Champ! 

ONLY 419hrs

FEATURES:
      Newer Agro Tires on Rear & Solid Front Turf Tires.
      Wheel Weights on rear.
      Fully Swapped Forward Swept axle and Steering off of 520h.
      New Tractor Supply Adjustable Seat.
      Exhaust Fully Restored. (Sandblasted, Outgassed and 2000deg High Temp Satin Exhaust Paint Coated.)

I ran my 60" Deck on this tractor for over a year with no issues. 
      Deck it solid top to bottom with no rot and newer blades. Belt and Pulley are good to go! 
      She's just a little dusty and needs a cleaning. Can get a nice Seat a Tractor Supply. 

Asking >>>>> $1,099 OBO <<<<<<< 

(248) 943-8634 Text or Call.  God Bless. 

• Little Red Horse
      By Little Red Horse
      I am selling a 1970 Wheel Horse Electro 12. It is in *working condition*.
      It has AG tires and a mid-mount blade from wheel horse. 
      It also has a front mounted generator that currently doesnt put out power. It has been in the barn quite a while, so it may be a corroded connection,  not sure. Although there's not too much that goes wrong with them. 
      The tractor has been a great one for me. The last 6ish 7ish years that I've had it where I lived it brought the gravel back up my driveway for me every time it rained. In the last few months, it would run for 20-30min then die.
      I was moving at the time so just didn't have the time to look at it. And it seems I still don't. Where I am currently I don't have a place for it. I don't want it setting out and deteriorating. So here we are.
      Please contact me by text or email. 
      Thanks for looking! 

• ohiofarmer
      By ohiofarmer
      i know that there is ebb and flow with market conditions, but I have been seeing bargain 520 and c-160 prices more common. I recently saw a c-160 like model on a place other than here that was close by, but i did not get a chance to see it as I was still on a medical tether getting care. i say c-i60 like model because it was a series of numbers like 4455 or somesuch .Tractor had the k series engine clearly a sixteen HP and came with a decent looking deck and pusher blade. i called my buddy Jay and told him for the $250 ask , he better hustle after it. i really do not know if he did.
        I also have been seeing 520s and such lower than I can remember as well as the D series..My theory is that people experiencing paycheck to paycheck living are increasing in number.
      You even are seeing a lot more older trucks like square bodies and especially big blocks than you did before. we used to see this a lot in new trucks when fuel prices hit records.
      i am not claiming expert status on this, but it seems to be trending this way one county next to indiana and 90 miles North of the Ohio River.
       Tell me what you are seeing out there and what you think. 
           Edit:  Jay and I ran up to buy Bob Ellison's tractor in MI.  Bob was very nice to deal with and included his "last seat"   I got super lucky buying my first C-160 that did not start and another one shortly dropped in to keep it company. The tractor described above was listed for only two days and was gone
    • Rick3478
      By Rick3478
      For Sale NOS M12S Short Block, still in the original box.  I bought it pre-emptively when Kohler was phasing out the Magnums.  Thought I would have it on hand if one of mine needed it, or maybe I would find a tractor with a busted rod for cheap.  Neither of those things happened, the darn things just keep running.

Part number 77 522 35, probably built in late '05, it's the combination replacement kit Kohler made to fit WheelHorse or Gravely, machined to bolt directly into the Gravely transaxle, but also has spacers to mount WheelHorse PTO clutch/brake.  Also has a bunch of gaskets and seals packed with it, probably all you need to install it.

And it's heavy, so it's not practical for me to ship.  Buyer arrange to pick up near Elida OH, I can lift it about knee high to help load.

Asking $800 or might consider trade for a good center mount grader blade.