Lane Ranger

Using the two piece cultivator this year on 1961 -701 !

AMC RULES
WOW! Great picts Lane.    :handgestures-thumbupright:
That thing really does work nice. 
  • Like 1

Factory Dog

Are you able to control the depth pretty good with that set up so as not to go too deep?

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

You have really three ways t control depth of the shovels (on center cultivator) and three on rear.    The rear (and center cultivator) you can raise and lower to a level with the Hein Werner pump.  You can also adjust the2  set screws (they are just square head set screws like on the wheel hubs) to raise or lower the shovels.   Wheel Horse manuals says between three and 4 inches max.   I set mine so I could get on and off my trailer with no dragging when up (about two inches off the ground).   

My center set also has a third way to raise or lower -my lift bar was special made with three holes to attach to the center hole I had drilled in the back of the cultivator bar  (in the center ) and four holes on the top for the lift rock shaft.  

Let me tell you this set up works great !  If we had used our handheld garden tiller it would have taken and hour and a half.   It took about 15 to 20 minutes max to do five rows about 3 to 4 times each.    We will be doing each week during the garden growing season!

Edited by Lane Ranger

AMC RULES
The weeding is gonna be too easy...    :eusa-think:
what will you be doing with all your free time now Lane? 
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger

My next  project Craig!  That is where my "free" time will go! 

A 704 I bought last year.   Just going to put a 7 HP  recoil start  Kohler and go with it!

IMG_4565.JPG

IMG_4566.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4568.JPG

DSCN8527.JPG

DSCN8528.JPG

DSCN8529.JPG

DSCN8530.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2

Lane Ranger

More pics of the 1961 Wheel Horse 701 with the two piece cultivator set before she went to work!

IMG_8210.JPG

IMG_7908.JPG

IMG_7906.JPG

IMG_7907.JPG

• Like 3

AMC RULES
I do like that set up...  :handgestures-thumbupright:
are both those cultivators WH pieces Lane?
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger

Yes both Wheel Horse  pieces ! 

IMG_8650.JPG

IMG_8653.JPG

• Like 1

Factory Dog

Thanks for the additional picks!  That sure does look a lot nicer than fighting a tiller up and down the rows.

• Like 1

squonk

Lane, I'm bringing my cultivators to the show. If you bring yours, we can De-Weed during the parade! :)

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger
IMG_8711.mp4

I guess that settles it Mike!  I  will bring the 1961 Wheel Horse 701  instead of the 1958 RJ.  I am only going to bring one tractor this year -no trailer hauling this time!

[object Url]

IMG_8708.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2

squonk

You got those shovels dug in pretty good Lane! Holding that tractor on that side hill is quite the trick! :ychain::ychain::)

We got to get a pic side by side at the show! :)

• Like 1

Catmanii

Looks really good. I got to get into my garden as soon as I can to do the same thing if it would stop raining long enough to let me. Sunny today, but ground to wet and supposed to rain again tomorrow. So far 31.22 inches of rain since Jan. 1 of this year in this part (East) Texas.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I just now saw this thread. What great pictures Lane. It looks like they could have been taken when that tractor was new. I trust that we'll be seeing more of the 704. That was my Dad's second new Wheel Horse, right after the Suburban 400. Hopefully one of those will be my next project. Make that.....my next Wheel Horse project.:)

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

The 704  I bought last year is coming along nice Bob !   I am posting some pics of it.  I put my  early wheel horse mid-grader blade on it.

Craig:     Both the tiller pieces are wheel horse original tiller pieces.    They must have been used a lot as the center one does have a slight curve to it from use!    The  back bar is suppose to be straight but I did not correct it.   I am posting a pic from June 4, 2015 after cultivating was done.

005.JPG

006.JPG

013.JPG

015.JPG

001.JPG

016.JPG

• Like 4

AMC RULES
Looks so nice, have a source to share Lane...
for those chrome front hub covers?     
:greetings-clapyellow:
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger

I have been using these for years.   Mr. Gasket  #2485  set of two.  They use to be $4.50 on ebay.  

They fit  B-80 and B-100 over hub weld.  They also fit older style like 701 and 704 but I use a little of that flat packing foam  stripped off in about a I inch wide piece six or seven inched long and around the HUb.  That foam secures the chrome cap on and you should not have to worry about losing one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MRG2485-Mr-Gasket-2485-Wheel-Hub-Chrome-Dust-Caps-1-790-Dia-/231238178259?hash=item35d6de95d3&vxp=mtr
  • Like 1

mid60's

I like the cup holder. Thanks for the pictures Lane. Good looking stuff. Is that grader blade new?

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I bought the  early  Wheel Horse grader blade last year.  I believe it is an MB-405 Model made from 1965 thru 1967.

It is on of the first or second models Wheel Horse sold.    What is unique about it is that one of the previous owners  made it into a grader blade that could be pulled behind the tractor or attached in the underbelly as originally designed.  That makes it much more flexible to use depending on the need you have for it.    Those two side bolt holes on the tower made enough room for two big washers underneath to hold my plastic cup holder in place.

This is what an original MB-405 looks like:

007.thumb.JPG.5912bece2312c9d20b8cb1ed3c
This is what mine looks like:
013.thumb.JPG.e1d20e4a7467847f7b44b6834d

A previous owner (not really sure how many it may have had)   added the tab on the end with hole to use it in a slot hitch at the rear of a Wheel Horse tractor.  The previous owner also moved the mid-attach bar about two inches (see old weld bead marks on grader blade) and beefed up the ends to secure in the mid attach hitch.

012.thumb.JPG.e11cee08ed596fd900097b52f4
I have used it both ways and it works great and clears all the front steering  parts-at least on the 704 it does !

014.thumb.JPG.d03f7ea95c60605760d401317e

016.thumb.JPG.17c8e3d08a37c409d45557f5be

KC9KAS

The garden looks great!
Looking forward to seeing you & David this weekend..Oh, and your uncle too!
If Marilyn sees that cup holder you know what I will be installing!

• Like 1