"D"- Man

How To Make An 18 Automatic Into A 23 Automatique LSE

cleat
2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I still have several pieces of sealed wheel bearings that exploded in a press lodged in my face and one ear - I hated pushing those things off and later just learned to cut through them to relieve the stress instead .

Have you load tested that engine/pump coupling yet ?

Sarge

Our big press at work has a large expanded metal guard that is closed and latched when pressing tight parts.

Have not needed it yet (used it, just nothing has exploded) but good to know it is there just in case.

My 20 ton manual press at home has no guarding so I use a face shield, safety glasses, steel toed boots, and long sleeves with leather gloves when I have that one pushed up really tight.

Same thing when using a puller.

Cleat

• Like 1

Sarge

Those Ford style wheel bearings are a known issue - especially on the Japanese Samurai rear axles as the retaining ring they used can really get stuck on the axle tight , it's common to explode the bearing trying to press that dumb thing off . Most now have learned to just cut that ring and replace it - the bearing comes off pretty easily and can be re-used after that if it's good . On the plus side - they will never walk a wheel off like some of the early Dana axles . Worst I've done so far with my 30 ton was trying to push out a bearing from an electric clutch on a Grasshopper mower - no way to tell how it was assembled and we shoved it out the wrong way , bending the housing badly . I did fix that part with the press and some creative dies - new bearing and it is still in service today . $30 versus $550 for a new clutch was a win . Make sure if you use a face shield it has a high impact rating lens - some are not rated for that , only for dust/debris - you need one rated for explosive metal debris such as a broken grinding wheel .

Sarge

"D"- Man

Just took two of the back tires/wheels to a couple of tire shops.  One was mounted; but, the area where the valve stem hole was welded shut, was ground down a bit too far so it leaked.  Having this dismounted so it can be rewelded. The other has a bit of bead damage and both shop workers advised get a new tire or use a tube.  A Carlisle Trac-Cheif in a 27 x 8.5 - 15 (6 plies)  doesn't come cheap.            

"D"- Man

Just a bit of an update, took the tire with the damaged bead areas and the wheel to Best One Tire service center. They dismounted, cleaned and applied some bead sealer prior to remounting and inflating. Temporarily mounted hubs and tire/wheel assemblies to axles to get a couple pics. First is Dual hubs on axles the second one is all 4 temporarily mounted.
P.S. Right fender is slightly off level because I did not have the under fender support bolted on.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

Gonna be a beast! Might have to get someone to drive ahead of and behind you with "wide load" signs and amber flashers. :laughing-rolling:  can't wait to see more! 👍

• Like 3

"D"- Man

Thanks Richie, it measures ~56 inches from outside to outside of the duals. 

• Like 1

"D"- Man

I know I will have to do some disassembly before I proceed with the remainder of the Resto-Mod; however, I just finished the grill housing. It had been dented and straightened, so I bolted it on for a quick photo-op prior to the disassembly.

IMG_20180317_155036.jpg

IMG_20180317_155103.jpg

IMG_20180317_155126.jpg

IMG_20180317_110525166.jpg

IMG_20180317_110608400.jpg

IMG_20180317_111146018.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

19richie66

That looks tough! 💪

• Like 2

"Manic-Mechanic"

Man, that has come a long ways since I last seen it, you'll be riding here soon! You keeping track of your hours on the build?This has to be one of the most epic builds that I have ever seen, simply outstanding! Did you plan on a custom trailer to bring this wonderful machine to the show? :handgestures-thumbupright: I'm surprised you and Sarge don't combine some of your engineering if not already, in the future?

Oldman

Edited by Oldman
  • Like 2

Sarge

That's looking great, makes me want to give my D180 a swift kick out the door.

If you don't mind,  what hydraulic oil temperature gauge did you use ?

Sarge

• Like 1

"D"- Man

Thanks gentlemen, I purchased all the gauges N.O.S. from eBay, except for one. They are for a D-180.  I was even able to get a N.O.S. oil pressure sending unit for the K-582.

• Excellent 2

"Manic-Mechanic"

Say did you decide to stay with the Ammeter or go with a Volt Meter? I see an Ammeter in the dash, didn't know if you thought about that at all?

Oldman

Edited by Oldman

"D"- Man

Oldman, I am going to keep the original amp meter.

"Manic-Mechanic"

Your a brave man!

Oldman

"D"- Man

Thinking about bringing my tractor to the show.  I have two questions: 1.) Should I bring it if it's not complete?  2.) Does anybody have any experience insuring a lawn and garden tractor to and from the show?  Thanks.

Edited by "D"- Man

19richie66
18 minutes ago, "D"- Man said:

Thinking about bringing my tractor to the show.  I have two questions number one should I bring it if it's not complete?  Number to does anybody got an experience insuring a lawn and garden tractor to and from the show?  Thanks.

Bring it! I know I would love to see it. Mine isn’t finished either. 

• Like 1

Aldon

Nor will my GT22 be finished.

as for your insurance question, I have no experience.

• Like 2

"D"- Man

My Auto-owners will insure a trailer and whatever damage it could cause, and my home-owners will insure a show tractor as long as it's on my property.  I checked with an antique tractor insurance provider and was told I would have to purchase a years worth, even if I am only needing it for a couple of days.

• Confused 1

Aldon

It’s a racket I tell ya!

• Like 1