WildHorses

How big of a disc could a 520 pull?

WildHorses

I see youtube videos of smaller garden tractors tossing around the 36" Brinly-Hardy disc harrow style discs but has anyone  used anything bigger? It may be a stupid question or bad thing to do but I'm just curious. I'm thinking a 520 could theoretically be made to run a hydraulic line set out the back to lift and lower a larger disc. I don't see any reason why with some wheel weights and Ag tires it wouldn't be able to pull a larger disc. 

I'm not thinking anything huge but maybe a small double gang disc, something in the 4-5' range after taking the outer plates off of a 6' unit?

post-3879-0-25549700-1430711480_thumb.jp

post-3879-0-28737500-1430711512.jpg

Edited by danielbaute
  • Like 1

pfrederi

A lot depends on soil conditions.  In many instances real farm tractors are worked harder disking than plowing.

• Like 1

Forest Road

Theoretically pigs can fly.

In all seriousness as w any accessory you'll run out of traction before power. Tis the Wheel Horse way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

brandonozz

Like forest said - traction,

You will likely be able to pull the disk no problem at first.  If/when you actually start getting the ground broke the disk will bury and the tires will likely spin. I tried to pull a disc (one row 4' wide) one time after tilling with a Honda ATV with the rear locked and pretty aggressive tires.  Made it about 4'..... when the disc hit the soft soil my rear tires buried about 8".  Really depends on how deep the disc gets but if you hope to get more than 2-3" inches I see it as being challenging.

Good luck!

Brandon

WildHorses

Yeah, I know soil conditions will affect it. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with a larger disc.

MalMac

Speaking from experience in the field with farm equipment. What will happen as mention before. First you will start out then traction will become a issue. This is the case in almost all Wheel Horse's, they run into traction issues before power becomes a issue. If you can get traction and I say if, then power will come into play as your soil conditions change. One thing to keep in mine here if you should try it. That is if you should get traction and get to moving,  all it takes is for that disk to suddenly bogg you down, that tractor if it does not break traction will want to rare up and I mean rare up quick.  Even with weights on the front a tractor can decide to stand straight up or worst come back on over. If that happens you won't need to worry about pulling a bigger disk. Don't mean to sound so negative here but like the old saying " For every action there is a reaction". The reaction here is what would happen in trying to pull a to big a implement for said tractor. With that said yes it would be cool if it could.

jeff lary

We have a set of harrows like in the above picture. We have always used the old Allis Chalmers 1947 Model "B"  to do that sort of thing. I can guarentee you will not pull them far. The old Allis is almost wot and into the govener when pulling them in worked soil with chains bty. I have a Kubota and a 312-8 also but the would be way too much for the horse. Good idea but i see damage in the future just not designed for such a thing. Good luck have a good summer Jeff.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PWL216
      By PWL216
      Looking for a good to very good condition hood. Thx
    • Truckedup1
      By Truckedup1
      I have a very recently restored 1989 wheel horse 520-HC tractor with 60” deck. Family owned for over 10 years but now it’s time for another project. Please contact me with any questions I have the original 60” deck but it was rough so I sourced the current deck off this site, it really is in excellent condition for not being restored.

• jleitschaft
      By jleitschaft
      Hello All,
            New to the group and looking for advice. My father was a devoted wheel horse enthusiast for many years. He only cut grass with a wheel horse tractor (rear discharge deck) pulling a Parker lawn sweeper. We have a lot of property and it took him a while but he was retired and loved being on the wheel horse. When he got sick, I had to take over all the lawn maintenance. All of our family lives close on the same road. At the time, I was responsible for maintaining 7 properties plus my fulltime job. Using the wheel horse was not an option for me so I bought a commercial zero turn mower.  Unfortunately, in 2017 my father passed away. I have all his tractors and it has been hard for me to think about what to do with them. He had 6 wheel horse tractors total. 3 tractors we used for cutting grass and 3 tractors are show pieces that have never cut a blade of grass. I have a few guys that have been asking me for years to sell them but I am not sure if I’m ready. I am turning to the group because I am lost at what I even have. Its my belief that the tractors are rare and the conditions are mint. If anyone would be willing to express their opinion and provide feedback I would be grateful.
      Wheel horse 420 LSE (shows 7.5 hr)
      Wheel horse 520 hydro (shows 92 hr)
      Wheel horse classic GT (shows 26 hr)     

• lodestonefarm
      By lodestonefarm
      Selling my trusty WH520H.  ~880 hours (currently used for moving snow when needed so hours may rise) very solid machine, strong and hardworking.  20HP Onan, hydro transmission and hydraulic lift.  Has Matt's foot-pedal conversion for forward/reverse.  Included in the sale is a tall-chute snow blower and 60" mowing deck.  The blower is in excellent condition and is on the tractor currently.  The mowing deck has been a workhorse over the years.  No holes but could use some TLC, probably needs new spindles at some point and could use a couple spots touched up with welder also does NOT have any pulley covers/protectors (see photo).  Tractor has been an incredible tool, very solid and dependable and I'm certainly going to miss her when she's gone.   

Recent maintenance: replaced the plugs this summer, fluids as needed (hydro has about 100 hours on fluid/filter; oil was done in the spring and has about 25 hours on it).  Battery is about 3 years old as are the tires, Terra Trac tires on the rear and turfs on the front.  The seat (with arm rests) isn't in great shape.  I've got a cover for the seat, never used.  It's never really bothered me but new seat cover is included in sale as are 4 hub caps, chains for the rear tires, and some misc spare parts (see photos).  

I've owed this machine about 8 year and put ~350 hours on her.  She's not a show piece but could be restored.  Sheet metal is generally in shape, no rust however the hood does have a couple dings in it.  

I'm only selling because I'm trying to help my son get a small lawn care business started and looking to move to a zero-turn.  The 60" deck is too large for our trailer, the mowing deck lacks pulley safety shields, and we'd like something that mows faster.  My only complaint with this machine is the top-speed (which isn't great when comparing to today's machines) otherwise she's a beast.  They don't make them like this anymore.  

• Workin_Horses
      By Workin_Horses
      Nice solid clean 60" deck for 520H Model # C560SC04       $500 OBO