JackC

Another way to de-carbon your ONAN?

JackC

Most will use Seafoam but Eric the car guy says just use a little water.

He says the steam will break up the carbon.

Has anyone tried it?

boovuc

I wouldn't do it.

I know that the carbon deposits I removed from three different Onans I own required hard pressure with a Scotch-brite pad and some citrus solvent and or MEK. Pouring water into the fuel system where water itself is the enemy and creating some spontaneous steam only after it decompresses on it's way out isn't going to remove anything but very loose deposits if that.

DougL3

This is an often used, yet controversial procedure used on oil-head BMW opposed twin motorcycle engines known as "water torture".  I personally have done it more times than I can remember and never had ANY ill affects.  In fact, it always worked wonders and cured the pinging issues that were so common even with 93 octane gas.  I do recommend changing the oil after this procedure!  You will know why when you see it drain out.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Without removing the head, and doing a visual inspection both before and after...

seems it's just speculation, as to whether this procedure really works, or not.  :confusion-shrug: 

• Like 1

DougL3

Without removing the head, and doing a visual inspection both before and after...

seems it's just speculation, as to whether this procedure really works, or not.  :confusion-shrug:

I can assure you it works on the BMW opposed twin...and the head gaskets for it are a "wee" bit more than $17 a piece!

• Like 1

Coadster32

Interesting. I find most of his stuff to be on point. Just a little skeptical about this though.

As to Craig's inspection point...should be said for any de-carboning method to see if whatever you are doing works or not.

I think when things have gotten way out of hand, no "snake oil" is going to substitute a good scraping/scrubbing.

• Like 1

608KEB

I asked if anyone tried using water to decarbon a few months ago when I was cleaning up my 520H. I did not try it though. I'm going to get to adjusting valves and decarboning this summer. I'll post some pics of the top of the cylinders

• Like 1

decksetter

I haven't ever decarboned any of my onans. I set the valves without pulling the heads and I always run Seafoam in my gas. Maybe I'm just living dangerously. Every once in a while I do pour Seafoam down the carb while it's running. I think I'll try the water though.

alswagg

Most Marine shops and Marinas have products called Engine Tuner made by Johnson/Evinrude.  Made specifically for removing carbon from two strokes and four stroke engines.  It really does work,  We stock several cans at all times.  Sell for $12,50 can.  Good luck  Al