neil

What was your first car ?

chesbaycruiser

I just found these photos a few weeks ago.  This is the first car that I ever bought, purchased in 1984.  It is an early model 1966 Porsche 912, which was basically a 911 but with a Porsche four cylinder instead of the flat six.  It wasn't really a practical car—more than once I had to wait on parts to arrive from Stuttgart, Germany, but I did love that car and how I wish I still had it.  Couldn't afford to buy one today, as their collectibility continues to rise.

912_01.png 912_02.png

912_03.png 912_04.png

The first car that was mine to drive, but not "officially mine" was our family's 1976 Malibu Classic Wagon...Last of the Great Wagons!  (Hit some pretty big milestones in the back of that machine. ;-) )

Malibu_01.png Malibu_02.png

In college, I drove the burgundy 79 'Vette (as in Chevette) parked in the background behind the Porsche in the photo above.  And my last sports car was this 1984 Dodge Daytona Turbo that I bought in 1986.  Not all that impressive by today's standards, but it sure was in its day.  When that turbo spooled up it would pin your head against the seat and you damn well better have a firm grip on the wheel or that front wheel drive would jerk it right out of your hands!  

Interesting side note about this photo:  It was taken when I put this car up for sale.  I washed and waxed it and then drove around looking for a good spot to snap a photo.  I ended up here, in front of a random building on the University of Richmond campus (where I was not a student nor did I have any connection there).  When I found this photo a month or so ago, I realized that 27 years later, this is the very same building, and very same doors I walk through when I meet with the largest (by far) client of my freelance design business.  Go figure!

Daytona_01.png Daytona_02.png

• Like 2

specialwheelhorse

1950 jeepster Could sure stand to have that one back.

953 nut

1950 jeepster Could sure stand to have that one back.

One of my high school classmates had a '48 4 cylinder Jeepster which we rebuilt when we were about 15 or 16. Had a heck of a time getting it timed; turns out we had the distributor in 90 degrees out and had to time it on #2 cylinder. We learned a lot and had a ball.

• Like 1

Aldon

My First car was a 68 Camaro RS. It had been resurrected by a body shop fella on the side.....So I got a low mileage car in 80. My father who was a mechanic on the side assured it was not bent etc so I was able to get a steal of a deal.

This photo is is off internet and not actual. only difference is mine had Aluminum ET Wheels. I miss that car often!

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 2

my first car was this 1930 Model A Ford 4-door sedan in 1970.  it is long gone , but since then i have always owned a Model A Ford of some type

myA4.jpg

this is my current Model A Ford , a 1928 Tudor sedan with a 350 chevy. i have had this one since 1988

28tudor5_zpsddd49cf9.jpg

primers2012_zpsdc38c920.jpg

Edited by 305
  • Like 7

AMC RULES

Sweet ride...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

when you gonna chop that top? 

kaiser

my first car was a 68 Pontiac tempest. 352cid, 2speed hydroglide....

second car was a 74 vw super beetle, which I liked much better.

• Like 1

Sweet ride...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

when you gonna chop that top? 

probably not going to chop that one , but i am in the process of chopping the top on my `30 ford coupe project

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:wwp:

• Like 1

motor12

First car was a 1955 Chevy 2door sedan with a 265ci motor and three on the tree. I was in high school and drove the poor car into the ground. Wish I still had it.

• Like 1

smoreau

My first car was a 73 Chevell Malibu with a 350. 4 weeks later I bought a mountain bike as the Car met its maker around a tree. Can't count all the vehicles I have owned, but miss the 70 Roadrunner 440 the most! Why oh why did I sell that car!!

• Like 1

RMCIII

In my wonderful days of youth, I wanted a Muscle Car. Nothing else would do. So at the age of 16, my dad signed for a loan, on a 1971 true numbers matching, SS Nova. Color, hood exactly like what is in the photo. 1 owner car, with all the documented up-keep. True 10 bolt posi, 350/275hp. Bench seats, auto. That was right around summer time when I got the car..... Fast forward 3.5 months. Now fall is setting in. I am not liking the fall weather and dad is starting to snicker a little about the Nova.... I believe his comment was something like "well, if you get up early enough in the morning, there is this big yellow thing that will pick you up for school". I certainly did not want to drive the Nova in the fall, winter months, and I was not about to ride the bus..... SOOOOOO, I devised a plan. Once day after school on a Friday, I went and picked out a 1978 Chevy  3/4 ton Scottsdale 4x4. Photo attached also. The story behind me getting the truck is to looooong to type, but the shortened version is this. I went to the dealership, let them know I wanted the truck, salesman said you are to young to purchase without a parent signing. Gave them the number and name of person at the bank I banked at and walked out with the truck. Salesman was dumbfounded and was still trying to pick his chin up off the floor when I drove away with the truck.... And they say farm boys are slow and ain't got a clue... I worked 3 jobs and still had a full schedule at school. However, I had enough credits my junior and senior year that I did not have to stay for the last 2 periods of school. So that got me some extra hours at 1 of my jobs to help pay for (2) vehicle payments, insurance, gas, maintenance, and storage for the Nova for the bad months.........

Rob

post-10322-0-43787700-1431394807_thumb.j

post-10322-0-13369800-1431395386_thumb.j

• Like 4

Racinbob

Now that's a cool story Rob and an awesome Nova. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

Deere Hunter

Here is my first car, still have it. Owned it for 28 years. My Dad owned it for a few years before I bought it off of him. Although he used to tell me I ruined the car when I started modifying it. Until he drove it one time, I thank that changed his mind lol D2A110C3-93C7-4C89-894E-FE5FF2DC3E4F_zps

1AC32D5B-298C-4CFE-B7B4-B63A98746BD8_zps

• Like 5

perry

73 Dodge Dart

finished my `30 coupe project this past spring , thought i'd post a picture......decided not to chop the top

mmmmmm_zpst4ejlw4l.jpg

• Like 2

carscape

First car 57 Citroen DS19 converted to manual shift, no pix.

X305 your avatar is priceless.  Haven't seen ol' Wonder Wart Hog in years. 

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
14 minutes ago, carscape said:

First car 57 Citroen DS19 converted to manual shift, no pix.

X305 your avatar is priceless.  Haven't seen ol' Wonder Wart Hog in years. 

Was it a DS19 or actually an ID19? My older sister was dating a guy in high school in the 50's that had an ID19 with the manual trans. I use to enjoy getting a ride in it. Items that stand out in my memory were the single spoke steering wheel, roof mounted brake lights, and the rear track being narrower than the front. Can't forget the hydraulics in the suspension as well!

• Like 1

T-Mo

I would like to see some pictures of this Citroen.  I remember when I was stationed in Germany in the early 80s, the 2CVs and the Renault 4s and 5s.  Those were neat, but crude cars.

tarcoleo

This is a 1939 Bantam "Woodie".  Mine was blue and clean. 

It had an American  Austin engine and could just make it to 50 mph.

The plastic cam gear gave out and that was its end for me.

e17681e4fd51228784a0997f6f2350c5.jpg

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

my first car was a mazda 323 that i returned after an hour because after taking it through the carwash it started leaking through the roof.

my current car is a volkswagen golf mk3 variant

• Like 1

953 nut

:handgestures-thumbupright:  Glad this thread has been resurrected, just went through it from the beginning again;   very Kool.

rjg854

Kewl thread, my first car was nothing to brag about but it was mine and it was paid for by working nights after school washing dishes and busing tables. I bought myself a 1965 4 door Chevy Impala. I put Pontiac Grand Prix bucket seats in to replace the torn up bench seat that was in there. It had a 327 and road like the cruzer it was. I still miss the old girl.  :D

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

My first was a 63 Impala with a 327/250. To much of a Slug so got a 67 Chevelle with a 327/365. Traded it for a 66 Chevelle 396/375. Wish I still had them all. As my kids were growing up. I redid another 67 with a  327/350 . Sold it to a collector in MI. Jay Leno ended up driving it..

Scan_20150127 (3).jpg

Jay before driving.jpg

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

My first car was a 1953 4 door Chrysler . It was so ugly I put a bag on my head when I drove it. Here is the story , got my permit at age 15 1/2 and got a part time job at a local burger joint. I had been saving my grass cutting jobs since age 12. ( back then 1/4 acre yard with hand trying cost a dollar, price went up $0.25  per 1/4 acre). Parents drove me to work and picked me up. I came home from school one day and this ugly A * * green Chrysler with Fluid Drive is setting in the driveway. Walked expecting company my father looked up from the paper and said you owe me $75.00 for the car and $150.00 for the insurance. I could have killed him. Never owned another Chrysler.

• Like 1