JAYDOG 69

d-180 people, I have a few questions

JAYDOG 69

always wanted to get a D series I have a chance to trade my 520h for a d-180. First it has the 3-point but no pto is it possible to install one ? I have no idea. Second will my 60" mower fit on the d-180 ? thanks for your help

1maidenfan

Most people will say DONT trade, I myself love my D series tractors!!!

A PTO is possible to install, takes a little work (especially finding one) but is possible.

The 60" mower deck, I belive, will fit but needs to have hanger changed as the belt adjustment is totally different.

JackC

I would not use a D for mowing if I had a 520. The steering is not good for mowing.  The turning radius is wide.  The D's are brutes and good for when you need a brute like pushing, pulling, plowing, or tilling.  The are a good platform for a loader.  You need to own both.

cazngz

I agree........  forget the mowing and use it for what it does best...  pushing dirt, gravel, and snow.  With a good chain setup and a little weight you can move most anything you have a mind to..   The D's are a big tractor.. equal ( IMHO ) to the green machine, only nicer since all the D's have the auto instead of fumbling for a gearshift.  The A frame and plows can be hard to find and if you do be prepared to pay for the heavy duty steel that goes into them..

JAYDOG 69

the d180 comes with a 54" blade and a brinly  dd-1000 disk I would love to keep my 520 but im married, must of you know how that is haha. my yard is about 800 ft long by 220ft wide. just always wanted a d series for the power and versatility but I haven't made the deal yet lol

• Like 1

cazngz

You are indeed fortunate to get that stuff as a " bonus "   if you close the deal that is..   :)

JAYDOG 69

Ok let me ask a different ? my 520 isn't any thing special 850 ish hrs. everything works as it should the guy has a 75 d-180 and the meter has 750 hrs on it it comes with a 54" plow and brindly disk, rear three point an no pto  I was going to put my 60" mower under it (if it will fit) haven't seen the 180 in person but looks great from pic. do you all think this is a good trade? 750hrs on the meter seems low to me but im going to look at it 2marow

• Like 1

"D"- Man

I would go for it, Mark.

elliot ness
  1. They both have their good and week points, If you have a lot to mow, use the 520, :techie-eureka:  if you have farm type work, use the D. They both are great machines if used for the right projects. I have had a lot of D's and the steering can be a problem, but if the steering box is tight, make sure you still have thrust bearings under the front axle on top of the spindle, they come from the factory that way, but most of them wear out if not lubricated :techie-eureka: , they make it steer way better. and always run more air in the front tires then they call for, that also makes then steer easier. and always let the hydro fluid in the winter time warm up before you use it. :techie-eureka:

muz123

I would never part with my 520 for one....but it Sounds like a good deal, so go for it  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by muz123

ericj

i have a D200 and several 520s i would not trade a 520 for a D Series. i grew up with my D dad bought it when i was a teenager. so i really like it and will never part with it but, it is big and cumbersome, don't turn very sharp at all and since i had the rear blow out when i was driving it years ago i'm Leary of it possibly going again. wheel horse repaired it under warranty then but i highly doubt that they would do it again. i have heard and might have seen it done were a 520 deck was swapped over to a D series tractor but the mounts on the the deck and the tractor have to be modified for the deck to work. i would run the d around and get the trans good and warm and make sure it don't slip or act dumb in anyways. parts are a lot harder to find for a d series and if you think it's expensive to rebuild an onan just wait till you need parts for a K532 kohler if you can even find a rod for one. i also had a D160 and a 18 Auto that both needed work but i moved them both on to new owner's, but have increased my number of 520s. in the end it's your tractor and you do what you want and you think is best for you, but i personally would not do it. good luck

eric j       

pacer

You say you want PTO capability but be aware of another 'quirk' of the D's is the PTO shaft speed is (I think) 2000rpm (others are 520 - again I'm not sure) which limit it to Wheel Horse attachments. For sure it a peculiar speed and can be difficult to get an attachment.

I agree with all the above - I have 2 D's, a 160 and a 180 and they are indeed 'brutes' but have weak/undesirable points - steering and transmission.

On the mower deck, its mounting is quite different from other horses, from the engine through the mule drive to the mounting on the frame. If you dont have these components, it may be a real pain to rustle them up.

pfrederi

You have about 2.5 acres if it is wide open the D would be OK for mowing but if you have trees and obstacles I would stick with the 520.  I have a 60" three point deck for my D200 and it is great for open spaces but around the yard one of smaller horses is a better choice.

tommyg

I agree with all the posts about the turning radius. But I also agree that if you mow a lot of straight lines, the D is great! I've got a 60" deck in my garage that I'll be retrofitting on my D-180 this spring. I know it can be done. Just haven't dug into it yet. I also found a rear PTO a ways back. I got it cheap. Maybe $150. If you find them on eBay, they're going for up to $300.

JAYDOG 69

ok thanks everybody, I have decided to keep my 520. maybe someday in the future I will be able to afford a D series wife willing haha. thanks again for all the input,Jason