kart17

Suburban for the grandkids

AMC RULES

Looks like you've got some great little helpers there. 

Nice new  :wh: tractor score.   :thumbs:

:WRS:

squonk

Cool! What's the green thing in the background?  :confusion-confused:  :text-welcomeconfetti:

C-101plowerpower

looks good, i really like those suburbans looks like an nice one.

i think that shell is a morris mini?

wallfish

:WRS:

You are correct on the tractor model. Could be a 550 since it appears to have a key switch on the hood next to the steering shaft.

Surprised you got that steering wheel off the shaft, you must have been determined! They don't come off too easy and more difficult with the shaft still on the tractor. I know it's too late but here's an armchair quarterback call, there is a roll pin in the steering gear under the frame which could be knocked out to remove the entire steering shaft.

Edited by wallfish

kart17

Thanks Craig!  The are great helpers and want to work with granpa on the "project" The boy has a fever of 103 but REFUSED to stay in with granny.  Only kept him out the until the tylenol worked and sent him back in.

Hey Mike, it a 1970 Austin Mini Cooper project.  Also have a 67',  putting a big motor with turbo on it and rebuilt front end with bigger brakes to woe it down :auto-nascar: .

Edited by kart17
  • Like 1

C-101plowerpower

Thanks Craig!  The are great helpers and want to work with granpa on the "project" The boy has a fever of 103 but REFUSED to stay in with granny.  Only kept him out the until the tylenol worked and sent him back in.

Hey Mike, it a 1970 Austin Mini Cooper project.  Also have a 67',  putting a big motor with turbo on it and rebuilt front end with bigger brakes to woe it down :auto-nascar: .

how big an engine? something like project binky?

kart17

Hi Goody,

Yep!  Austin in this case.  The 67 is a Morris Cooper.

Hi John,

Figured I had to get it off sooner or later.  Gear puller and cutting torch worked despite stuck roll pin.  Small enough to heat and shear however.  Darn things have a lot of roll pins....LOL.

kart17

For the 70' sticking with 2 wheel drive and and original style motor.  Punched out to 1373 and all the other high end motor work (MSD, fancy head flowed and really worked, cam, pistons, lifters, balanced, blue printed).  Want it to be a little of a sleeper.  The 67' aint much of a sleeper.

Edited by kart17

953 nut

:WRS:    You have a great Suburban to start with, and a grandson who wants to help, what more could you want! You are only about 4 hours away from the annual  :wh:  show, try to come up and join us.

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

Racinbob

Cool Steve! I replied to your email before I saw this. I'm looking forward to following this. :handgestures-thumbsup:

stevebo

I saw your add looking for wheels and tires. I would try cleaning those up. A little paint on the wheels and miller's tire makes an awesome tire paint. Many members here use it.

neil

This has to be one of the most heart warming pics I have seen for a long time, The look on those two kids faces really made me smile. That's what this hobby is all about .

post-2119-0-21569100-1427609156_thumb.jp

Ah , the Mini Cooper , great little car , one of Great Britain's engineering success stories.

post-2119-0-56772700-1427609187_thumb.jp

• Like 2

kart17

Thank you Neil!  Very kind words.  They are honestly excited and the the little tractor is "AWSOME". 

And the Mini's well..... I think are AWSOME!!!. 

kart17

A little progress! 

Grandson is on spring break and will be here all week! :happy-jumpeveryone:   He is still sleeping!  LOL.  Between the tractor and planting 1 acre of the garden, he was toast last night.

Started breaking it down.  Some interesting issues.  Steering shaft is bent, hood stand has some interesting mods (cut and bent to make room for briggs motor and hole torch in it for exhaust)  If anyone has steering shaft and hood stand reasonably priced, may be better to replace than repair. Also need one front wheel.  Wierd, one of 2 is bad.

Next steps:  Sandblast everything.  Open up tranny and see what, if anything is wrong.  Here are a few pics.

post-14820-0-79952400-1428407961.jpg

post-14820-0-85349900-1428407986.jpg

post-14820-0-96308100-1428407987.jpg

Edited by kart17
  • Like 4

Pullstart

Great (safe) way to get the young ones out in the garage!  My first learning curve other than pedal bikes and radio control stuff was installing a lift kit on my cousin's K5 Blazer while he was at work.  I was 13 or 14 and looking back so many things could have gone wrong in that shop...  Love them round hoods!

kart17

Hi All,

Here is an update:

Rear wheels, frame, toolbox, fenders sandblasted and primed. Seat front axle and and other small bits on the agenda today.  Purchased 2 sets rear tires (1 turf and one AG) and 1 set of AG fronts.  Also tore down tranny.  I think everything is good in the tranny.  Looks like someone was in it not too long ago.  Any sugestions to make sure I don't need to replace any bearings?  

Still looking for hood stand and steering rod and 1 front wheel.  If any one has these, please send me a PM.

Here are some pics:

post-14820-0-02699600-1428841371.jpgpost-14820-0-06438000-1428841350.jpgpost-14820-0-17845600-1428841358.jpg

• Like 3

Jake Kuhn

Looks like your off to a good start! As for the rear end if the bearings seem smooth and tight they are probably ok. I would however recommend changing the bronze bushings in the differential and axles, and all seals/gaskets of course. Does look like the trans is in nice shape though, don't see too many like that.

Racinbob

It looks like that cleaned up real nice. Just check the bearings for excessive slop and that they are turning freely. In my opinion the 3rd/2nd gear (3523) is a major weak link so make sure the inner teeth are good and linking up to the input gear properly. What a great grandpa/grandson project. :)

Yea, what Jake said. He types faster than me.

Edited by Racinbob

kart17

Folks,

I need a front rim, one is shot.  Any input on options?  I have tires just no rims.  Would like to find some 3 rib tires also.  Any and all help is appreciated.

Regards,

Steve and the Grandkids

Edited by kart17

Jake Kuhn

Steve, Rims are a pretty tough find, just have to keep your eye out, and keep posting wanted ads, most are bad as they were almost all filled with chloride. As for 3 rib tires I usually buy them off ebay. k-morrow is usually a good seller to deal with.

kart17

Hi All,

Update on progress with transmission. Got all new bearings and bushings installed, gaskets cut and installed and everything reassembled and the case bolts tightened up and ready to paint!

My concern is it seems TIGHT when trying to turn everything. Input shaft spins nice while not in gear but when in gear it's hard to turn the input shaft and get the axles to turn. Is this just that everything is tight and the bushings will relax once things are turned a little while or is something wrong? Everything does turn just takes a fair amount of “persuasion”! The case closed up easy and all the shafts seem to be in place in their respective bearings.

Am I ok or should I pull it apart again and try to hone bushings some more to relax everything?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Jake Kuhn

Steve,
they are usually tight when you rebuild them from the bushings, before you paint make sure and tighten all the bolts as I've had issues of them locked up when I tighten the bolts. It will probably be ok and wear in, but I usually take the diff gear and make sure it spins ok on each side of the bushings before I assemble, the same for the axles, but if it turns without too much force it will probably be ok and wear in.

Jake

kart17

UPDATE: August 15, 2015

A LOT of painting done...  Transmission rebuilt.....  Need to paint front replacement rims (I hate them but originals are pretty bad!), Should finish most of the other stuff today.  Don't have original motor so will repower with the 5hp briggs it had or may go to something else.  Any suggestions on what will fit the motor mount bolt pattern?  Thanks for all the help folks!  Can't seem to uplload pics.  Will try again shortly.

Racinbob

The original motor for your 400 was a Kohler K-91. (3.125" x 6.375"). I'm betting the Tecky 5.5 is the same. They used Clintons on some RJ's.