Dieselcowboy

Bachtold fence mower pic

JackC

I have never seen or heard of one.  That looks like a real piece of history that should be in a museum somewhere.  The 1965 875 was the very first automatic and the one you have looks to be in great shape for being 50 years old.

niftynoah

I'll take 2! :thumbs:

oliver2-44

Awesome piece of history 

Don1977

I like it, wish I had one.

RedRanger

I'd like to see video of that thing working.  Very cool.   :thumbs:

• Like 1

ericj

seen picture of that in brochures but never an actual unit, well i guess i still have only seen pictures  :laughing-rofl:

eric j

• Like 1

wheel horse men

I grew up 30 miles away from where those weed mower were made. Wish I could find one

pfrederi

Must have been pre OSHA and Consumer Products Safety Division :)

CasualObserver

@Dieselcowboy Did you ever post any other pictures on this?  I'd love to see a few more.  Yours is the only other original I've seen mounted on a Wheel Horse.  Nice to know there is at least one more out there. I'd also love to see an action video.... your's looks well worn by the shape of the blade. Mine's NOS. :P It came from the family of a closed dealership in Iowa (via another collector in Michigan to me) .. Original owner's son claimed  his dad was the one who talked Bachtold into making them. They were both a Wheel Horse and Bachtold dealership. 

20140823_134043.jpg

20140823_134139.jpg

Mine will eventually end up on either a 753 or 854 to emulate this picture.

bachtold.thumb.jpg.657b5f46f2256d9fa911d

• Like 5

wrightorchid

An awesome find.  Thanks for sharing pictures.

• Like 1

Dieselcowboy

Mine is pretty worn.  I really need a new blade but not like I use it daily. Lol. I have mounted mine on a round hood since the last pics.  It works pretty well. These mowers don't chop like a mowing deck but rather cut the weeds at the bottom and drop them whole.  I will defiantly get a few more pics of the mower for you.  Nice score on a nos one ! So there is at least 2 of these in the world left. 

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Does the blade come out past the circular guard?

Dieselcowboy

Yes it does. OSHA would never approve of this dangurous machine today! 

• Like 1

js5020

Very interesting attachment.  Would love to see detailed pics of the mounts, pivots and drives.

Dieselcowboy

Here is what it looks like now.  Next time I get it out ill see if the wife will video it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Dieselcowboy
  • Like 4

js5020

Thanks for the additional pics.

WNYPCRepair

If my brothers and I had one of those when we were kids, I guarantee one of us would have been chasing the other two around with it. 

• Like 1

tunahead72

Here is what it looks like now.  Next time I get it out ill see if the wife will video it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes, video! :handgestures-thumbupright:

If I'm reading the info sheet correctly, this mower only moves in a straight line along a fence line.  It doesn't, for example, pivot side-to-side so you can clear weeds under a split rail fence, correct?  I can see the lift feature being useful for pushing back overgrown fencerows, kind of like you can do with a lift-type bush-hog mower on the back of a farm tractor.

Very nice, I'd love to see one in person!

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Neat attachment...:handgestures-thumbupright:
can't wait for the video. 

PaulC

That looks dangerous which makes me like it :ph34r: I also would like to see a video of it in action.

CasualObserver

If I'm reading the info sheet correctly, this mower only moves in a straight line along a fence line.  It doesn't, for example, pivot side-to-side so you can clear weeds under a split rail fence, correct?  I can see the lift feature being useful for pushing back overgrown fencerows, kind of like you can do with a lift-type bush-hog mower on the back of a farm tractor.

Very nice, I'd love to see one in person!

Ed, No, it does not pivot. That runner on the side that the mower rides on can be set at an angle (it's just clamped on the shaft) and with it set at a slight angle out you can ride along the fenceline reaching under the split rail or to pull grass/weeds into the cutting path. That's exactly how I'd like to set up a little display to go with mine... Going to get a small section of fence and show how the mower reaches under to cut.

Edit... I forgot, you can also do a slight angle in and push right up against a woven wire fence and not worry about hooking the fence.

Edited by CasualObserver
additional

CasualObserver

The front half of the unit is the exact same as the walk behind models they were famous for.... they just made a mounting kit for the tractor and had drive pulleys arranged depending on the model.

The base of the unit is the Bachtold 204.

bachtold_204.thumb.jpg.0bd37ac26a1c070f5

• Like 2

Big-Game

Hello, 

I am looking for measurements to make the lift bar that goes under the tractor and attaches

to the Bachtold.  I would love to hear from the two owners if they still have these and could

help me with measurements and pictures. 

Thank you for any help you can give !!

Ron Greco

rsgreco@embarqmail.com