lodestonefarm

312-8 vs C175

lodestonefarm

Given the choice between a 312-8 and C175 Hydro which would you choose/prefer?  For sake of argument, let's assume equal sale price and equal condition.  

I ask because I'm looking for a second WH tractor and these have come up in my area.  I own a 520H with 60" deck and snow plow.  I'd like to move the plow over to my next machine and get a blower for the 520.  So the second machine would be a plow tractor and backup.  I'm looking for ease and cost of maintenance, dependability, ability to plow snow.  Mowing frankly isn't that important to me- I don't have a large yard and I already have the enormous deck for the 520, but it is thirsty so maybe the backup tractor would be the primary mower.  

I'm curious to hear what folks think of these two machines.  Are they fairly equal or does one shine over the other.  

Thanks,

Peter

slammer302

sense you already have a 520 i would go with a single cylinder kohler 312-8 is a great machine

• Like 1

varosd

Peter, 

Blackhood fans will chime in that the early Series I Kohler 17 hp had oil/lubrication issues when operating on a slope. 

this was corrected by the Series II engine. 

do a search here on RS and there is certain serial numbers that will tell you if it's Series I or II. 

They did put series II stickers on later engines I think

lodestonefarm

Thanks for your input.  I'm actually a bit surprised and glad I posted the question.   I would have suspected the tally would be C175 hands down.  Maybe I'm too wooed by horsepower. 

I'll have to see what engine the C175 has.  I do have sloping property and don't want trouble with the series I machine.  Would the fact that it's hydro mean anything about the year/engine?  

bmsgaffer

:text-yeahthat:  I'm a blackhood fan, but if you are looking for easiest, cheapest, and simple to maintain I'd go with the 312. You have the low maintenance 8 speed, the pressure lubricated 12hp magnum (which will easily spin up to a 42" if you want to mow with it) The single cylinder is good on gas and dead simple to maintain.

Complete rebuild on a M12 is about $4-500; rebuild on a KT-17 $1000+ and the extra horsepower wont do you one bit of good plowing. Because of the transmission I think the general consensus is that 8hp will plow as well as 18hp as long as you have enough traction!

I dont believe the C-175's ever came with a series 2 (I could be wrong). I believe they were switched when the 417 came along.

• Like 1

MalMac

If it were me I would go with the 312. It will do darn near anything and do it without breaking the bank. Very good machine.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

All I know is this series one, Kohler twin is a snow plowing beast.   

post-3498-0-29705900-1426276443_thumb.jp

• Like 3

953 nut

:text-goodpost:   Traction is king when it comes to plowing snow. Due to a very steep driveway I have to use wheel weights, chains and concrete blocks hanging off the back to plow with any of my horses. I have noticed that the 3 rib tires on one of our 953s work far better than the wide turf tires on the front of the 312 and GT-14, they tend to let the blade push the front end around.

lodestonefarm

I appreciate all the views.  Looks like a good condition 312 is what I should be considering seriously.  

Thanks,

p

bitten

Id go with the 312-8. 

GM_Man

All I know is this series one, Kohler twin is a snow plowing beast.   

I agree 100%! I have no regrets buying my C-175.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Depends on how much you have to plow.  The hydro is much faster in reverse if your plow pattern requires that.  Hydro lift of the blade is nice.. depends on your age and condition of your shoulder.

• Like 2

boovuc

I have a C-175 8 Speed and I had a 312-8 and own two 310-8 speeds. If you are going on dependability, go with the 312. (If it isn't a basket case)!

lodestonefarm

Depends on how much you have to plow.  The hydro is much faster in reverse if your plow pattern requires that.  Hydro lift of the blade is nice.. depends on your age and condition of your shoulder.

Good point.  I have to say I'm spoiled by the hydro and lift on my 520.  I have no idea how much effort is required to lift the plow since it only takes a push of the lever!  Age and shoulders are headed in the wrong direction....

I have a C-175 8 Speed and I had a 312-8 and own two 310-8 speeds. If you are going on dependability, go with the 312. (If it isn't a basket case)!

The 312 is certainly NOT a basket case.  Single owner, moderate hours, used for mowing only- no plow or blowing.  The C175 is noticeably less expensive but doesn't appear to be in great shape- fair to fair+ from the photos.  

JackC

I buy based on what I like to own and drive.  I have a C-175 Twin Automatic black hood with a Series II replacement engine.  I would not trade it for love or money.

post-4541-0-00564100-1426317481_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

I would buy both of them.I have 5 or 6 312-8's.I use them mainly for grass mowing duty.I have 2 C175 automatic's.I use them for snow plowing and blowing.The c-175's are quite a bit heavier than a 312.Just my opinion........it's your money.

jackhammer

I had  both  ,, 2- 312-8's   175/with a 16MagA replacement.  Reliability 312's hands down winner for me. Fuel winner again.  made 15 or more years

175 A of mine felt  "bigger bulkier" -  had a metal seat pan also  -  blowing with it only one time.just so so  I think maybe made for 4-5 years or so..    good ones are more collectable.

Both my 312s this year were loaded with blowers.   Pretty decent  but I'm just a lover of using the plow, so I'll put 1 of each on next year.    just my   :twocents-02cents:

BTW got rid of the 175/16  last fall

Rick

post-11144-0-55046300-1426333194_thumb.j