OhioGuy89

Flywheel not engaging

OhioGuy89

Hi folks, a while back I posted a topic in the main forum called " weird starting noise" to cut it short, I lubed the pinion gear shaft on my starter, and got a New battery. I also tightened the flywheel bolt. When I went to start the tractor just now, I got the following video to show what happened. It seems like my flywheel is loose and not engaging with anything .https://player.vimeo.com/video/121082087<br/>

WH nut

Cant view the video, but the flywheel doesn't engage anything.  The starter engages the flywheel. Try turning the motor over by hand on the crankshaft nut. if the flywheel turns with the motor you are fine. Even if the flywheel key had broken the flywheel and ring gear will turn with the starter if in fact the starter drive engages the ring gear

OhioGuy89

What happens is the flywheel turns, but it sounds wobbly, even with the center bolt tightened. The engine won't turn over for some reasons. The starter is good, I know.

WH nut

That sounds like a broken rod, Take the screen off and turn the motor over with the crank nut and see how easy it turns and if you hear the banging. Does the motor stop spinning pretty quick when you let go of the key or does it wind down? Ok I got the video to play all the way through without buffering. You have serious engine troubles. Broken rods or crankshaft

Edited by WH nut

OhioGuy89

Ok. To do that, should I take the flywheel off?

WH nut

Ok. To do that, should I take the flywheel off?

No you can remove the screen, but see my post above for the edits. You have serious engine problems

OhioGuy89

Ok. What would cause a rod or crankshaft to break? I've never ran it low on oil.

WH nut

Ok. What would cause a rod or crankshaft to break? I've never ran it low on oil.

Its hard to say. Was it running then quit, or just wouldn't start. You can also remove the pto bell and watch the  output side of the crankshaft while you spin it over to make sure it spins. if it does do a compression test

OhioGuy89

For a while, it wouldn't start. This was after I had to put on a new oil filter housing and take everything apart because of a stuck oil filter. I put everything back together and hooked it all up, that is when I posted the " weird starting noise" thread. I found the flywheel and starter weren't engaging. Now, this problem.

WH nut

Boy I don't know, it doesn't sound good. See if you can see the crank spin on the PTO side, if it does take a plug out and stick your finger in the whole and see if you can feel any compression. And the way it winds down after you let go of the key make me think no compression

Edited by WH nut

OhioGuy89

Oy. Ok. I'll look into that. I do recall hearing what sounded like compression when I turned the crank by hand. Maybe I was imagining things.

WH nut

Also, if you remove the screen from the flywheel you should be able to see if the crank is spinning with the flywheel

oldredrider

From the sound in the video, you've got a broken rod. Time for an engine rebuild.

slufoot733

Without being there it's hard to tell. Right off the bat, the starter IS engaging the flywheel and spinning it. However, if I am hearing what I think I am hearing, you released the key and the engine continued to spin, rather freely. Did you forget to reinstall the spark plug? There is NO compression right now. If there were proper compression the engine should stop spinning almost immediately if it doesn't start. That one spins for quite some time. If the plug is in place then there's a good possibility that the connecting rod has broken and the crank is spinning freely.

Place your open hand on the screen over the flywheel and try to turn it in either direction. Even without a spark plug you should feel the resistance of the piston sliding up/down in the cylinder. If there is no resistance then the rod is no doubt broken and will need to be replaced. I think if the crankshaft was broken it would not turn at all.......but not sure on thet. My best guess is a connecting rod.

Good luck.

Edited by slufoot733

OhioGuy89

I think you're right. I'm gonna check when I get home Just to he sure. If it is broken, I've been told here and other places a rebuild is necessary. If that is the case, then I can get a new engine for cheaper than that

slufoot733

A new engine can cost ya big $$$. A good used engine can also run into some expense. However, if you can find the parts you need, and someone who can guide you, replacing a broken piston rod is not the hardest thing to do. And it gives you an opportunity to check out the rest of the engine and fix anything that is worn or about to go. If you're not comfortable with rebuilding the engine then maybe a good used engine is worth it. Either way you will have to open the engine to first find out exactly what's wrong.

OhioGuy89

Yeah. I'm going to call my uncle and see if he can come over. I've been told if they are broken. You really gotta rebuild the whole engine

C-101plowerpower

i think the flywheel isn't seated right on the tapered bit of the crankshaft, broke the flywheel key and probably damaged the taper, if you look at the vid the flywheel looks a bit wobbly. don't think it's a broken conrod

Edited by C-101plowerpower

953 nut

:twocents-twocents:  You began your post by saying that you had tightened the fly wheel bolt, did you have the flywheel off prior to the first time you encountered this problem? If so you would want to remove it and inspect the key and key-way.  

From the sound of the video I'm afraid I would have to agree with the broken rod theories, but I hope not. Whenever I encounter a problem the first place to look is the last thing I did prior to the problem!

Good luck and keep us posted.

OhioGuy89

Thanks! Will do! I did take the flywheel off to install a new oil filter housing. I'll go look in a bit to check the key and taper

OhioGuy89

I just pulled the center bolt out,and guess what I smelled...

PB blaster! How much you want to bet the derps at the shop lubricated the flywheel? They must not own a harmonic balance puller. Also, here's a pic of the key and taper74ecbfdc15e403fed03f5dd62b942890.jpg

wallfish

When you pulled the bolt did you also remove the flywheel? Looks like it should slide right off.

Seems like the flywheel is spinning on the crank because it was not installed properly. The washer which holds the flywheel on is missing. I'd bet the key is now sheared or mangled.

Remove the flywheel and inspect the key, shaft, and the taper in the flywheel. Post some pics of them.

I'm confused, was the work done by a shop? If so, take it back to them.

OhioGuy89

Ok everyone, so I've gone through it all again. Cleaned off the shaft, and got a new flywheel key. I got the flywheel back on, but for some reason, it won't go all the way on, and I  still have that wobbling. Any idea how to make it sit all the way on the shaft?