snowhound

Electric Lift isseu

snowhound

I'd been blowing snow for about 45 min. and was about to make my last pass and the blower wouldn't lower.  I left the tractor running and moved the car and truck back to the top of the driveway then tried the lift again and it worked.  I finished the last pass and headed for the barn and stopped outside to clean off the tractor and blower and again the blower wouldn't lower but after cleaning of the blower and tractor it worked again. 

Anyone have any ideas why?

Ed

gwest_ca

If you go into the manuals and do a search for

Lift electric

you will get about a dozen files. At least one of them goes into great detail so should help with diagnosis.

Garry

Don1977

Sounds like you have a loose connection or a switch going bad.

doc724

I'm with Don on this as well.  I think that switch is a simple rocker (toggle) switch.  Most of these switches were snap acting (you moved the toggle and the blade inside would snap to the other position-opening or closing the circuit)  If the snap blade develops a crack, the blade will not snap but may creep (slowly move to the opposite contact) and may or may not make the electrical connection.  A multimeter should help you diagnose it.  Intermittent connections within the wire harness will show the same symptom

BTW, a good 5 inches here this morning.  This is getting old real fast

snowhound

Thanks everyone for your input I'll install a light to the switch and try to get it to act up again.  In the meantime I'll start looking for a new switch.

We got about the same amount of snow, I had to take about 3 feet off the garage roof today much of it packed hard from the wind. I needed to get it off before the rain Wed. I don't want to have the roof cave in on the herd..

snowhound

The switch is bad so I checked with Toro and they want $95 for a new one does anyone know of anywhere else to get one.  I thought it would be a standard on-off-on toggle switch but the Toro switch 4 wires not 3.

Going back to shoveling

Ed

Don1977

This is my guess as to the switch you need. Del City Electric  switch #7300057 $8.88

go to switches then"specialy circuit toggle switches DPDT"

http://www.delcity.net/images/linedrawings/7300057.pdf

shallowwatersailor

Any momentary DPDT switch with the same mounting hole diameter should work, just jumper across #3 to #4, and #1 to #6.

TunaSlayet

image.thumb.jpeg.4397cf81a1512d525aa19ff6b58454ab.jpegJust ordered Del City Electric  switch #7300057. Ill report back and let you guys know how it works. I have a 1987 417-8 with intermittent issues. No lift or lower without fiddling the switch. Traced it down to the switch. Actually took the switch apart and found extensive signs of arcing. This resulted in bad, burnt contacts. I cleaned them, and this helped for a while, but Its back. I am not sure, but I think the instructions say to have the tractor running at "pto" speed when using the lift and lower to prevent this. If you look at what is happening with a meter, the voltage drops to 8 or 9 volts when you try to use the lift without the tractor running. Voltage is inversely proportional to current. This results in a higher current draw.(proved this with the meter) So the moral of the story is for all the electric lift guys is to only use it with your tractor running at a good clip to prevent higher than normal current draw. Also, as a side note, I removed the lift motor and actuator and cleaned the brushes, and re cut the commutator with a hack saw. Also repacked the gear assembly with light weight grease. Has a nice purr now. 

Edited by TunaSlayet

midpack

shoot... not having to run the motor to move the lift up and down was one of the things I liked about having an electric lift...

interested to find out how you make out with that switch

TunaSlayet

Worked!!! Thanks Don1977. Perfect fit other than having to bend the cross buss a little, and being a little shorter than the stocker. Just glad it is back in action.