chesbaycruiser

Steering Shaft (lower) Question - B-80

chesbaycruiser

I need some confirmation from some experts please!

The quick background is that my 1975 B-80 has had "slop" in the steering for some time, jumping teeth any time you attempted to turn the wheel when stopped or slowly moving.  The gear teeth on both the upper and lower shaft were worn, but the lower was worse and when I found one at a good price on eBay I finally decided to do something about it,  After a lot of cursing, I finally got the old one out, but when I went to install the new shaft it would not fit.  A comparison of the two parts shows the new part to be at least 2" longer.

So my question is, am I correct in assuming that the lower steering shafts remained constant for all four years the B-80 was built?  I ask because the shaft was sold specifically as a B-80 part.  I haven't contacted the seller yet and I have no reason to expect any difficulties returning the part, but before I claim the part was misidentified, I'd like to make sure I know what the heck I'm talking about.

Also, while you can't see it very well in the photo, the shaft from my tractor (the shorter one) has three holes below the gear teeth, the new one does not.  Can anyone with a B-80 confirm their's does/doesn't have the holes?

Any input would be appreciated!

B-80_shafts.jpg

TT

1974/75 B-80 4 speed models were a "medium frame" with a (roughly) 43 1/2" wheelbase.

1976/77 B-80 8 speeds were "long frame" models with a (roughly) 45 1/2" wheelbase.

The difference is in front of the footrest mounting bar, so the lower steering shafts are different lengths.

• Like 2

chesbaycruiser

Thanks TT...that would explain it!

For what it's worth, I did discover that when I got the old part out that someone had erroneously put one of the spacer washers between the steering shaft and base instead of on the "cotter pin" side.  When I reinstalled the old shaft I put the washer (and one more shim) on the correct side and the steering hasn't jumped a single time, including in all the snow pushing I did last week.  

So, it's still a win!!!   :banana-rock:

Edited by chesbaycruiser
  • Like 4

kudzu3

My '74 B 80 does not have the holes and is 16" from the front plate to the end of the shaft in the rear where the gears are. Hope this helps.

kudzu3

Looks like you solved the problem :)