Bobster

Where to start to get started

Bobster

Hey gang, I just traded for a 857 in really poor shop.  The carb was in a box with a carb kit.  The fuel pump was in the box also.  It look trashed.  Can I start it with out the pump if I just block off the hole.  Also need a coil.  Don't have any idea of the condition of the motor, so I guess I just need to start it and see.  Kinda wish I could trade it for a running Wheel Horse to play with....post-14625-0-06780000-1424035648_thumb.jpost-14625-0-10516100-1424035699_thumb.j

boovuc

:WRS:

You will feel a whole lot better about yourself when you can bring that tractor from it's death bed to running and working.

What you can do right now are some basic things. First is to test for spark If you have spark, then you are good to go to tackle the carb. You can run it without the fuel pump. I would mount the old pump over the hole when your ready to try out the carb. I use a small gas tank from a mower for testing engines out that the fuel pumps are toast.

Don't drive it until you check out the transmission first.

That 857 looks great. 48 years worth of history and patina on that tractor.

• Like 1

Bobster

Thanks for the ideas......guess I'll need to find a coil somewhere first.  Will most any 12volt coil do the trick? 

KC9KAS

:WRS:  Good luck with your 857.

boovuc

Battery ignition coil for a K series motor. Look on ebay or ask right here on our classified section and see if one of our members has one they will sell you.

can whlvr

all good advice so far but if it were me I would pull the head off and look inside,see if the cylinder looks ok,if the piston moves up and down when the crank is turned,even manually and then you can see if the valves are operating correctly,then reinstall the head with old gasket for now till you see if it runs,and before you spend on a coil

Bobster

Can I use a coil of an older car. Standard coil?

KATO

Looks like a good tractor to start with :handgestures-thumbupright:

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

Dhodge

Can I use a coil of an older car. Standard coil?

Kohler coils have a resister in them.  An automotive coil will work for a short time, but will fail quickly.  I would recommend using a Kohler coil for best results

WH nut

Any internal resistor coil will work

slammer302

I've never had a fuel pump on mine just gravity feed from the gas tank been using it like this for 10 years

I would also take the head off and decarbon it

953 nut

:WRS:   The coil from the 12 volt VW ( 1967 and newer I think ) will also have the built in ignition resistor, or go to a good auto parts store and buy an external resistor and put it on the positive (incoming) side of the coil. You may have to find the oldest sales person in the store to get the resistor, haven't been used for years.

As boovuc said, a temporary gravity fee tank will let you test everything else once you have spark. An electric fuel pump could be substituted if your old one will not work.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

wheel-mule

I have new and used Kohler coils for sale.PM me if you want more info.

squonk

Napa IC64SB Universal internally resisted coil. Works great and cheap!

Live4outdoors

Wow, that doesn't look like a bad tractor at all

Bobster

Thanks guys for all the input. Just got about 10in of snow today and gonna turn COLD. I kinda want to get started but it sure looks like a big job for me. No one had expressed and interest in the "Old Horse" so I think I'll try. I talked today with the dude I got it from and he said he found a new set of blades for it and the factory manual. No coil as of yet. If I pull the head off it, what should I use to "De-Carbon" it. Should I use the factory torque specs with the used Head gasket? Check back from time to time to see how I do.

WH nut

Thanks guys for all the input. Just got about 10in of snow today and gonna turn COLD. I kinda want to get started but it sure looks like a big job for me. No one had expressed and interest in the "Old Horse" so I think I'll try. I talked today with the dude I got it from and he said he found a new set of blades for it and the factory manual. No coil as of yet. If I pull the head off it, what should I use to "De-Carbon" it. Should I use the factory torque specs with the used Head gasket? Check back from time to time to see how I do.

Dont reuse the head gasket, while at Napa pick up a new gasket. They can get you all that stuff through primeline. A coil should be about 15 bucks and maybe 6 for a gasket. Squonk already gave you a number for the coil. Get her done, its not hard work

Bobster

This is what she looks like today...

post-14625-0-46468000-1424190008_thumb.j

boovuc

I would knock the snow off of it to try to keep as much moisture from possibly getting into the transmission as possible. Then throw some plastic over it.

If you look at the shifter where it goes into the transmission case, you'll see the rubber boot that is no doubt in bad shape and will allow water into the case.

Bobster

I meant to have it inside the garage before this snow came.  My bad.  Hope to get it in this weekend......

Racinbob

:WRS: You came to the right place to find help. A lot of good ideas have already been mentioned. Personally, if the motor is turning freely I would make sure the oil is good and filled properly. Then I would check for spark. If there is spark then do a complete rebuild on the carb since you already have the kit. Then rig up a fuel tank and see if it will start This way you'll get a better idea of what it might need for a proper fix up. If you do decide to pull the head I would reuse the old head gasket......for now......if it wasn't blown out. Once you determine what it needs, or at least get a better idea, start fixing her up with parts as needed including a new head gasket.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

If you use the old gasket, torque to regular specs.  Also, you can use a credit card and a shop vac to scrape off any carbon under the head.  The 857 is a great tractor, as you find out.  That picture of it in the snow like that is probably the last time...save that picture.  The next time that horse sees snow...it will be plowing your drive way.  I know...I have an 857.  :)

• Like 4