82Caddy

How dead is my horse? Commando 800 shifter issue

82Caddy

While pushing snow with my commando 800 I stopped and went to shift into reverse when the whole shift lever came out of the transmission.

16241836880_a954097287_c.jpg

Knowing nothing about transmissions, how do I fix/replace/repair this or is it time to put my horse out to pasture?

From a few weeks ago in all it's working glory

16337614395_8e88dbf4b3_c.jpg

Thanks for the help/suggestions!

Racinbob

You didn't do any harm. There's a long dogpoint setscrew that hopefully is still partially screwed into the front of the collar where the shifter goes. First, make sure the shifter forks are as shown. Move them with a screw driver if needed. Put the shifter into the tranny in the neutral position. There's a hole in the front of the ring that's welded to the shifter. The setscrew goes in there. Use a 1/8" allen wrench and run the screw into that hole until it seats. Make sure the jam nut is backed off far enough. It may take some fiddling to get it in the hole but you'll feel it when it goes. Back off just a fuzz until the shifter feels right. Then, holding the screw in place with the allen tighten the jam nut with a 7/16" wrench. Check it out again and fine tune as needed. Note that my picture doesn't show the jam nut.

post-8408-0-57282900-1422903009_thumb.jp

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 6

wallfish

Should be a simple fix as long as the screw isn't broken off.

On the front of the lip, where the shifter sits in the trans, is a dog point set screw or should be one which holds the shfter in place. The tip of the screw goes into the little indent on the ball of the shfter and holds it in place and also allows the shfter to pivot.

• Like 1

82Caddy

Sweet!  

Tractor was in neutral, I had to push it back up the hill and into the shop.  I forgot how hard this thing is to push with wheel weights and chains.

Thanks for the info guys.  I'll check that out tonight.  I was afraid my ole horse was dead, looks like it will ride again!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

If your set screw is broken...it is hardened steel...hard to drill.  It may turn out by hand if you can get a hold of it.  You can buy them on line, but in lots of 25.  If you need one send me a PM and I can mail you one.  :)

• Like 5

can whlvr

hopefully the set screw hole(where the set screw screws in)isn't worn,i had one that I had to drill and tap a larger size,but that's a rare occurance

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

• Like 2

82Caddy

Let the bad luck continue... I found a bolt that threads in, unfortunately the threads are a mess.  Looks like I'll have to pull the transmission (or at least enough tins to get at it), drill and tap it for a larger size.  That will have to wait until later though as I have other things that need to be done first.

Racinbob

Remember that's not just a bolt. Whatever you run in there will need to be 'fitted'. Here's what they look like. Sorry for the crummy picture. The machined end on the right side in the pic seats into the donut welded on the the shifter. You can't just run a bolt in there. :)

post-8408-0-42089500-1423011171_thumb.jp

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

82Caddy

Thanks for the photo Racinbob, I saw a similar photo earlier in my searchings.  The threads are messed up/worn/need to be redone on the top of the trans.  When I was testing it with a bolt, I was just trying to figure out what size and thread pitch I was looking for.  Worst case, I'll drill it out and tap it for a bigger size.  Then just spin a bolt down on the lathe.  Either way it'll get sorted out, just not as soon as I had hoped. 

rmaynard

Here's a better picture of the dogpoint set screw

post-2221-0-96426400-1423017712.jpg

Check this post:

• Like 2

82Caddy

Awesome!  Thanks guys.  I found that thread earlier today by accident.  I'm still learning how to search on this site and get useful results.

:hide:

:text-baaa:

82Caddy

Next random question about this...but not directly. 

Is there an easy/DIY way to remove the transmission on these things?  I don't need an exact step by step but some general guides?  Is it in one of the manuals I missed?  I don't want to just start taking things apart all willy nilly...

Racinbob

It's really pretty simple. Remove the seat, sheetmetal around it, disconnect the cable to the rear hitch if you have one and wheels. Disconnect the brake linkage from it on the left side and slip the belt off the drive pulley on the right side. Then there's four bolts on the front of the transmission. :)

Edited by Racinbob

82Caddy

Excellent.  I was hoping it was as straight forward as that.  It seems like when it looks that way there are 3 hidden bolts or some trick to getting everything removed.  Guess I know what I'm doing tonight when I get off work since the other projects have stalled due to missing/late delivery of parts.

What is the best gear oil for these?  Might as well do that when I have the trans out too...

Thanks for the help!

buckrancher

Thanks for the photo Racinbob, I saw a similar photo earlier in my searchings.  The threads are messed up/worn/need to be redone on the top of the trans.  When I was testing it with a bolt, I was just trying to figure out what size and thread pitch I was looking for.  Worst case, I'll drill it out and tap it for a bigger size.  Then just spin a bolt down on the lathe.  Either way it'll get sorted out, just not as soon as I had hoped. 

1/4-20 thread use a heli-coil to repair

Brian

• Like 3

stevasaurus

To put the trans back on to the frame it really helps to take a couple of 3/8 x 2" bolts...cut the heads off and the burrs from that...use those bolts, as studs, in opposite holes to line up the trans on the frame.  It makes it so much easier to start and tighten the other 2 bolts...then remove the studs with a pair of pliers and place the last 2 bolts.  This is the best tip there is.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 8

squonk

The 2nd best tip is go out to a store and buy a pair of good grippy gloves for the wife/girlfriend. That way she won't drop the trans on you when she picks it up to install on the frame and you're lying underneath ready to start the bolts!  :)  :)

• Like 4

82Caddy

The 2nd best tip is go out to a store and buy a pair of good grippy gloves for the wife/girlfriend. That way she won't drop the trans on you when she picks it up to install on the frame and you're lying underneath ready to start the bolts!  :)  :)

HA!  If you can get my wife in the shop for anything other then to tell me she's leaving the house to go someplace you'll be way ahead of me.

I got most of the rear end parts removed and ready to pull the transmission out.  Hopefully I'll get that done tonight so the helicoil can go in and start putting it back together.

• Like 1

82Caddy

We can put a close to this thread. Got the transmission pulled, yogurt looking gear oil drained, drilled/tapped with a new helicoil and all reinstalled with new gear oil.

Learned a few things along the way and most importantly had some quality help from some good folks on the Internet.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

can whlvr

its good to hear,its very satisfiying to repair a tranny and have it work when done

• Like 1