Pollack Pete

Plastic Hood Hinge Bushings

Pollack Pete

Working on putting the hood back on my C-175 after working on some starter issues.When I removed the hood,the plastic hinge bushings disintegrated.They're no longer available,of course.Anybody here have ideas what to use in their plase? Copper tubing?Stainless tubing?Plastic tubing?Hate to put it back together with nothing.These hoods seem to wobble around enough as it is.Thanks for any info or ideas.

redrooster

Get a brass bushing and drill it to fit.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

I havent seen a C175 so I can be specific, but McMaster-Carr does have a variety of plastic snap-in bushings.

rmaynard

What is the part number of the bushing? Was it a Nyliner bushing?

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Just found and ordered brass oilite bushings from MSC.Thanks for the replies.

bobert94

the 300-500 series use bushing #5983 still available, did'nt know the c series had bushings?

Pollack Pete

For C-175,Parts Tree number is 108599.NLA.

Martin

c series (black hoods) had two styles.

nyliner and rod similar to the 3,4,500 series......

E986F3C8-B2EB-44E5-AFAC-A59A9F9C5F2D-316

and the bushing style that is the subject of this thread......

E41A52AB-15FB-4681-8DE9-2100AA5BE390-316

• Like 1

gwest_ca

If you have access to automotive door hinge pin bushings that is another source. They come in nylon or bronze oilite but all seem to be flanged.

Garry

tunahead72

I know this is an old thread, but I need to replace these same bushings on my C-105, and it's 300+ miles away....

Does anybody know the dimensions of these?  I believe the inside diameter is 1/4", but I don't know the outside diameter, overall length (or flange thickness & length of "tube") or flange diameter.  I'll find something that works, but it would be nice to know exactly what I'm aiming for.

857 horse

3 ladys at the BIG SHOW was selling them....the rear barns,,,Nylon with a curled slit and flanged,,,,,,Dad had several 100 of them,,,,,they come every year and sell off dads old stock.....,,I know,,,,,rhe show is over,,,,,,,,,,But they had them.......3.00 a pair,,,,,,,,,,and   NO,,,,dont have a name.....

their barn had a ..pig over the door,,,,, I know this don't help,,,and does little good for now,,,but they do exist,,,,,

Howard.

• Like 2

rmaynard
12 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

Does anybody know the dimensions of these?  I believe the inside diameter is 1/4", but I don't know the outside diameter, overall length (or flange thickness & length of "tube") or flange diameter.  I'll find something that works, but it would be nice to know exactly what I'm aiming for.

Ed,

Give me a little time to get out to the shop. I may have some that were left over from the 416-H rebuild. If I have extras, I'll send them to you, otherwise I will try to find the dimensions and where I got them. I do remember it was a marine supply company but I don't remember the name. Have to do some research...

Okay, here you go. That didn't take long.

Inside diameter is 3/8". Is this what you need?

nyliner.jpg.6f2260b5b5fc69698ab379493424cd19.jpg

Available from the link below. I think they are packaged 10 to a bag. 

PM me and I can send you a couple.

Bob

http://shop.mariner-sails.com/Nyliner-3-8-Inch-Id-Rudder-Pin-HC-8061011.htm

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 7

tunahead72

Thanks for the information guys, but I don't think those are what I need.  Mine are like Martin's second photo, and I'm pretty sure (but not 100% certain) they're metal.

If you look at that photo, directly above the tire valve stem is the bolt/bushing/nut I'm talking about.  That's a 1/4"-20x3/4" hex bolt inserted through the pivot bracket (the horizontal bracket with the two rectangular slots).  It slides into the bushing that's inserted from the inside of the support bracket (the V-shaped piece with a hook and three bolts).  The bushing is definitely the part number 108599 that Pollack Pete mentioned.

Actually, if anybody knows the thickness of that V-shaped bracket, and the diameter of that hole in front, that would help.  I've looked at my local hardware stores and online suppliers like Bolt Depot, McMaster-Carr, Grainger, etc.  I suspect I'll have to get something a little larger outside diameter and length, and make it work by drilling and adding washers or whatever.  For now, one side is fine as is, and the other is held together with a bolt and no bushing -- it works, but it's loose and will probably wear itself out in a short period of time.

For that matter, for Pollack Pete, do you remember what you got from MSC?

Thanks again!

tunahead72

Memory like a sieve, my wife says.... :rolleyes:

I just found a piece of paper with some notes on it from last year, with measurements I took on one of the hood pivot bushings from my C-105:

They are 1/4" i.d. x 3/8" o.d. x 1/4" long, and the flange is 3/4" diameter and about 1/16" thick.  It's not clear whether the 1/4" length includes the flange or not.

The other part of this story is that last year I actually bought several bushings that I thought might work, but for the life of me I can't find them.  Since then, I've been driving this tractor naked/topless (the tractor, not me!), and the only reason I started looking for the hardware again is that my wife volunteered to do some mowing but insisted I put the hood on.

Good grief!

857 horse
12 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Ed,

Give me a little time to get out to the shop. I may have some that were left over from the 416-H rebuild. If I have extras, I'll send them to you, otherwise I will try to find the dimensions and where I got them. I do remember it was a marine supply company but I don't remember the name. Have to do some research...

Okay, here you go. That didn't take long.

Inside diameter is 3/8". Is this what you need?

nyliner.jpg.6f2260b5b5fc69698ab379493424cd19.jpg

Available from the link below. I think they are packaged 10 to a bag. 

PM me and I can send you a couple.

Bob

http://shop.mariner-sails.com/Nyliner-3-8-Inch-Id-Rudder-Pin-HC-8061011.htm

these are the ones I saw at the BIG SHOW,,,,,,but not sure of the demensions,,,,,,,Good Eyes Bob !!!

• Like 1

rmaynard

Not what Ed wants. but these are the ones that fit the hoods on 416 and many others.

• Like 2

rmaynard
22 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

They are 1/4" i.d. x 3/8" o.d. x 1/4" long, and the flange is 3/4" diameter and about 1/16" thick.  It's not clear whether the 1/4" length includes the flange or not.

Ed,

Were they solid or split like the ones in my picture?

tunahead72

Solid.

Crap!  Martin's photos are gone!  They were really nice too, f'in' Photobucket! :disgust:

tunahead72

Just a little update on my piece of this thread...

I ordered a variety of flanged sleeve bearings from McMaster-Carr today, all 1/4" i.d. x 3/8" o.d. x 1/4" or 5/16" long, with flanges 1/2" diameter and 1/16" thick.  The 1/4" long ones are bronze, the 5/16" long ones are nylon.  I should be able to make them work, and I'll have spares if I need them.

Just to be clear, these are very close to the bushing 108599 that I mentioned earlier, the one that we used to be able to see in Martin's second photo above.

I know some of you guys have recommended McMaster-Carr for a while now.  Just based on my experience with them so far, I'm starting to be a fan as well.  Their prices are very reasonable, and they don't mind small orders.  I sent them questions about shipping charges this morning, and had complete answers to all my questions within about an hour.  I placed my order this afternoon, and they tell me I'll have my parts Monday.  Sounds good to me! :thumbs:

• Like 1

Texas Todd

I drilled out mine on a 1056 and put these in. Got em at Lowe's.

596a1e35e287b_Bushinginstalled.jpg.91f210c1262068cc81620c98be8e7360.jpg

Bushing.jpg.9a111f29874ef876bf22d3000438df3c.jpg

• Like 2