SethL1984

New to me 520H

SethL1984

Ok Gents, 

I'll be picking up a rough 520H this saturday; I was told it ran only a matter of months ago until it "lost spark". Being my first Onan, I'd like to know what you onan guys think I should look for! Possibly even a checklist

to run through once its home. I'm looking for any and everything! I'll be checking the system overall but I'm hoping for a few Onan tips.

Let the instructions and tips fly guys!

• Like 1

SethL1984

Also, wheres a good place to get mufflers from?

Shuboxlover

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check.....fuses!!!!!....WIRING!!!!.....Ignition switch......I have a great used muffler if you're interested!!!

LOVE MY 520'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Shuboxlover

boovuc

Shubox is correct for first off. If the PM said it lost spark, make sure it didn't lose spark because of a safety switch, ignition switch or bad connection first.

If it has no spark, check the seat switch, transmission neutral switch, PTO switch, parking brake switch, ignition switch connections. Check for a bad ground! Pay REAL close attention to the 9 pin connector between the battery and motor. Open it up and spray it with contact cleaner for now. Make sure the connections are tight. Look for burnt wires on this plug!

If you still have no spark, test the coil and then the ignition module located under the flywheel. (PIA). Do a search in the Electrical forum here on how to check them.

Once you have it running...............shut it off and keep it off until you first take all the tins off. Especially the rear cylinder and clean the cooling fins out and any grass stuck to the tins. With everything opened up, you should adjust the valves as well. (Very easy to do). Change the oil and filter the sparkplugs and buy a new gas and air filter for it.

I would also de-carbon the heads if I thought it was a sweet engine worth holding onto.

Congratulations on the 520!

ericj

i think you should just give it to me and avoid all the headaches :ychain:  :laughing-rofl:   check the onan service manual it will tell you how to check and what to check

eric j

HorseFixer

Congratulation's I have 4 of them in various stages of condition.  I have been through them from front to rear Including rewiring and rebuilding the engine.  They are a great tractor. I would follow what  boovuc says on the wiring. I suppose they can be intimidating if you cant read a wiring schematic.  Let us know how you come out on it.    :thumbs: 

~Duke

SethL1984

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it!

Keep it all coming!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Best of luck, cant wait for some pictures.

Glenn

boovuc

(Bob)....Duke did a conversion on one of his 520's where he mounted a remote oil filter. This is an excellent idea and opens more air flow through the rear cylinder and at the same time, should cool the oil better plus it increases the total volume of oil for the engine. He ran the lines out of the tins and made a little circular adapter plate to close the opening up. This also makes changing the filter easier and you don't get oil everywhere when you have to tip the filter to get it out of the small opening where it is in the stock position. (All pluses)! 

Of all the mods I have seen on Onan powered Toro-Wheelhorses, Duke's remote filter is the best one in my opinion.

• Like 3

SethL1984

It's a rough one...

motox25

Hey that one looks almost identical to one I restored last year! Rough, yes but a very solid tractor under all the rust and faded paint.

can whlvr

they just have to hack the hood :banghead:

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Looks like it lost a little more than spark... lol :ychain:   That sure is rough but I have seen alot worse turn into beauty queens. With mouse nests like that right near the bulk of wires, I would start looking for chew marks. I have a hood and some other stuff if interested. PM me. I am outside of reading.

kyle

ericj

i would concentrate on getting the motor running first and see how that goes then start addressing the other issues once it is know if it runs good or not

eric j 

SethL1984

Yea, its rough, but the price was right. 

ericj - Motor if the first thing on the list!

Theroundhousenr - Surprisingly enought the wiring doesn't look to bad as far as I can tell so far! No corroded terminals and no chew marks yet! PM sent...

can whlvr - Tell me about it... He told me "they wanted to much for a new muffler, so I put one from a miller welder on it!..." I kept thinking, tearing up the hood was the trade off he chose for buying a cheaper muffler!? Oi...

I haven't really tore into it yet, I'm also reading posts on the hydro's my dad and I are 8 Speed guys so I new to the hydro arena. I'll keep you all posted on what I find.

And if anyone see's something in a photo please let me know!

ericj

the onan service manual on here as a down load will tell you how to check for spark, i also think martin started a thread on here that's pinned how to check the onans  if you can't find it pm me your email address and i'll email it to you good luck

eric j

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

(Bob)....Duke did a conversion on one of his 520's where he mounted a remote oil filter. This is an excellent idea and opens more air flow through the rear cylinder and at the same time, should cool the oil better plus it increases the total volume of oil for the engine. He ran the lines out of the tins and made a little circular adapter plate to close the opening up. This also makes changing the filter easier and you don't get oil everywhere when you have to tip the filter to get it out of the small opening where it is in the stock position. (All pluses)! 

Of all the mods I have seen on Onan powered Toro-Wheelhorses, Duke's remote filter is the best one in my opinion.

Thats interesting and a great upgrade. Like you say, changing the oil is a dirty, messy affair. Big design flaw to me. Maybe Duke will pick up on this and post some pics on that conversion.

Glenn

Seth, you will get it in order, take your time. One step at a time. Good luck.

Glenn

bobert94

what a shame how some people destroy or try to destroy these things. makes a person sick!!!

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

I have a solid 520 hood from a 91 if you are ever looking to replace that one. Its painted black by the PO but there is VERY LITTLE rust, it is solid.

$75 + shipping (obo)

Edited by bmsgaffer

1977.d-160

I've had my '93 520H w/ a QuickWay loader for a four or so years now.  It is a great machine!  I'm really impressed w/ it's power & lift capacity.  Mine came w/ dualies, but after snapping the right axle (twice) I've opted for the less stable, but less labor-intensive single rear wheels.

As mentioned - I'd definitely focus on the mechanical stuff first, you probably don't want to be spending your $$ on lipstick, glitter & yoga pants when what she really needs is to hit the gym.   :banana-jumprope:

She may not be the prom queen at this point, but once the mechanical issues are addressed she'll surely put out...  :banana-tux:  and you can pick away at the cosmetics as resources permit.

• Like 1