snowhound

Ultrasonic cleaner

snowhound

i just picked up a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner to use to clean carburetors.  Has anyone used the Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner and if so what do you use in to as a cleaning solution.

rmaynard

I have an ultrasonic cleaner, not HF, and I use a solution of Simple Green and water. Mix ratio is about 1 cup of SG to 2 gallons of water. 

However, it won't clean mineral build-up and the junk left by ethanol gas like soaking it in carburetor cleaner. But it will clean dirt pretty good.

specialwheelhorse

Maybe a pint of simple purple or ultra green or same goop.

And don't be discouraged about how things look when they come out

I just leave mine in for a few minutes let soak awhile then hit

Again a few more check then maybe re clean again.

Wont look fantastic but look in the bottom of the unit and

You will wander where all that cr p come from. Turn stuff around now

And then. I have to clean mine more often than I thought.

Sometimes put a dash of sea foam in it too.

KC9KAS

Many commercial solutions are available for ultrasonic cleaners, but it's easy for consumers to make their own cleaning solutions. These homemade products are just as effective as their store-bought counterparts, and they cost a fraction of the price.

Ultrasonic Cleaner Overview

An ultrasonic cleaner is a device that offers a unique and effective way to clean delicate items. Ultrasound waves, usually ranging between 20 and 400 kHz, create vibrations that loosen built-up residue and dirt from the items being cleaned. A variety of solutions can be used during the ultrasonic cleaning process; though most solutions are solvent-based, even plain tap water will provide adequate results.

Uses of Ultrasonic Cleaners

Ultrasonic cleaners can be used to clean a wide range of delicate household items. These inexpensive devices clean and polish items in a way that's nearly impossible to duplicate through manual cleaning techniques.

Jewelry and Accessories

Jewelry is one of the most common items to be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner. With regular use, jewelry accumulates a layer of oils, lotions, skin flakes, and other debris. It's nearly impossible to manually clean this grime out of all the nooks and crannies of a typical jewelry piece. Gold and silver come out of an ultrasonic cleaner with an impressive sheen, and gemstones such as diamonds and rubies gleam after a good cleaning. Softer, porous stones such as turquoise and pearls should not go into a jewelry cleaner.

Some consumers also use ultrasonic cleaners to clean their watches, though this practice can be risky. It is safest to remove the bracelet from the watch head and just immerse the bracelet in the ultrasonic cleaner. Eyeglasses can also be safely cleaned in a jewelry cleaner.

Brass

Gun enthusiasts often use ultrasonic cleaners to polish the brass cases used during reloading ammunition. This method of cleaning can transform dirty, blackened brass into spotlessly clean cases.

Shaving Tools

Vintage safety razors are sought after for their classic appearance and durable construction. However, consumers need to be sure that these previously owned razors are sterilized before use. An ultrasonic cleaning with an antiseptic solution like Barbicide will render a vintage razor gleaming and sterile.

Instructions for Cleaning Solutions

Many instructions for homemade ultrasonic cleaning solutions are available online. These formulations differ depending on what items are being cleaned. The following formulas are known to deliver safe and effective results.

Jewelry Cleaner

It is easy to make a jewelry cleaner that effectively removes buildup without harming valuable metals and precious gemstones. This potent formula will work on fine metals and non-porous gemstones:

• 2 cups water

· 2 tablespoons dish soap

• 1 teaspoon ammonia

A gentler formula is also available for jewelry that may not require the full strength of a solvent cleaner; this alternative recipe contains no ammonia and makes a larger batch of cleaner that can be used a bit at a time:

• 2 cups of water
  • 1 cup of dish soap
Eyeglass Cleaner

The following formulation makes an effective eyeglass cleaning solution that can be used in both an ultrasonic cleaner and a simple spray bottle. While this formula is safe for most glasses, it's not recommended for lenses that are finished with an anti-reflective coating. Rubbing alcohol, which is used in this cleaning solution, can wear away the coating and cause it to flake off over time:

• 1 cup water
  • 1 cup rubbing alcohol
  • A dash of dish soap
Brass Cleaner

Gun owners who use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean their brass reloading cases swear by the following formula for a cleaning solution:

• 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • A dash of dish soap

While some gun enthusiasts claim to get good results from using a pure vinegar solution and omitting the water, this practice can leave a dark patina on brass cases. Using a solution of half vinegar and half water seems to be equally effective at cleaning the metal without the unattractive patina.

• Like 1

clip

I've got their large version and it works ok with vinegar and water, and a little dish soap to break surface tension. I've used it on safety razors and my Farmall Cub's carburetor. I soda-blasted the carb first and that did a great job, the ultrasonic tank didn't do much else for it. Takes a little while but does get razors clean.

A coworker cleans his carbs without taking them apart, just dropping the whole thing in his ultrasonic tank. Gets him by season-to-season and he's suggested I try it on the Work Horse carb, but I've cleaned it with carb cleaner while it was running, ran a tank heavy on Seafoam, and it's been running great since. Have a rebuild kit sitting on the shelf so next time it goes down for service I'll pull it and properly rebuild, but it's not broke right now.

cody jones

i bought a name brand ultrsonic cleaner off ebay and put half simple green with half water and it cleans any part i can fit in it like brand new

Mr. 856

I use marine clean in mine and It works pretty well.