jusgettingbuy

1969 Charger V8 info/worth/opinions?

jusgettingbuy

I recently purchased a Charger V8 automatic (model # 1-7841,serial # 593424).  According to what I found online it is a 1969 model year and they only made them for 2 years.  It's a neat little bugger. It starts right up, moves forward and reverse well. I even cut a little grass with it.  Appears (haven't measured it yet) to be a 36" rear discharge deck.  Paint is faded but no real rust anywhere on her.  The front lights work as well as the rear although I don't know how original the rear is.  Heck, even has the original cigarette lighter and it works!  Any background on this model would be welcome as well as average value in this condition.  I will probably unload it in the spring as it was part of a package deal and I don't have a need (or space) for it.  I was told the baby moons are original, too.  Too bad I'm not a smoker otherwise I would keep it just so I could light up while cutting that dry august grass. lol  Man, people really liked their smokes back in the day!  Thanks guys.

post-12338-0-32210400-1421414512_thumb.j

post-12338-0-48242100-1421414531_thumb.j

post-12338-0-37460800-1421414555_thumb.j

post-12338-0-37454100-1421414562_thumb.j

post-12338-0-66664600-1421414569_thumb.j

post-12338-0-86394200-1421414576_thumb.j

post-12338-0-49043700-1421414616_thumb.j

post-12338-0-41813900-1421414623_thumb.j

post-12338-0-70722100-1421414645_thumb.j

post-12338-0-01891800-1421414652_thumb.j

post-12338-0-27061300-1421414657_thumb.j

• Like 1

wh500special

The V7 and V8 are tough little tractors.  But they suffer a lack of popularity with collectors.

Most guys take one look at the vertical shaft engine and will tell you "it's not a true garden tractor.  They're good for cutting grass, but that's pretty much it."

In actuality, the V7 and V8's were made to be fairly capable lawn and garden machines.  The cast iron Unidrive rear transaxle in your unit was made to me compatible with a tiller, plow, and other gardening implements on the optional sleeve implement hitch.  There isn't much following for these machines, but if you poke around a bit you'll find some information on this forum about using them.

The achilles heel of the V8's was the Kohler KV181 vertical shaft engine.  They earned a reputation as a connecting rod chucker since the lubrication system was a bit marginal on them.  I can't tell from the picture if yours has the original Kohler or a replacement Tecumseh.

In my mind, these are a valuable part of WH history and are nice machines.  They just haven't caught on with most other collectors.  You'll find value to be relatively low, unfortunately.  If you were in the St. Louis area I'd probably offer you $275 for yours.  Others will vary.

Nice tractor!  Let it be a basis for your sure-to-follow collecting!

Steve

jusgettingbuy

Thanks, Steve.  I will check the engine and see what make it is.  It does have a slight rod knock but the guy said it's been doing it for years, lol.  Starts right up, doesn't smoke and chucks right along.  I hate to part it out because other than the exhaust it looks to be entirely original.  The sheet metal is pretty much all straight and rust free.  It would make an excellent resto candidate because it's all there (from what I can tell)...I think the hard to find items are there (headlight lens, ciggy lighter, etc)...  If I had the space to keep it I would. The xi is my priority right now but man are they tough to find implements for. Makes me consider going back to the 520...Thanks for your input.  Any others are certainly welcome to chime in.

Ken B

It is a neat little machine. Yours would probably clean up real well. I had so many different lawn tractors back 30-35 yrs. ago  but all of them had Briggs 8 hp engine's on them. It was tough too kill one of them even with a shoe string tied to the governor for a little extra speed and power. :hide:  It would be cool to see one like yours properly restored at a show. Value would probably fall in the area of free - 200 bucks around here at best. Like Steve said, collector's have little to no interest in them so your main target is a home owner looking for something cheap, but there are a lot of newer Craftsnman tractors out there for cheap money.  The seat looks pretty nice...

Edited by Ken B

wh500special

You'll want to keep it in good running tune. Even though they have a way to disengage the trans for pushing, they are stubborn like mules. It would be easier to push your xi. Up a hill. With a plow in the ground. While wearing roller skates.

I forgot to add that you'll notice the whole front end section is cast iron. I don't know if they did that for extra weight or what, but there is probably more cast iron in one of these things than almost anything other than perhaps a gt14.

Man, two posts in one day...what's gotten into me?

Steve

slammer302

I would say sense it is in nice original condition and in running order someone will take it off your hands

mopar 440

I got one of these 4 or5 months back all numbers match Kohler 8 hp, was surprised how easy it started all lights work pushed cig. lighter in and it popped out hot. Runs good mowes good little deck noise. I"am going to buy 30=40$ paint & sand paper decals 55-70$ get them at red horse. Just pretty it up and keep it, have a good day