oliver2-44

What kind of primer paint do you use and what are the pros & cons.

My 312-8 and C-161 both have some light/medium pitting on the sheet metal. They will be worker tractors, but I want them to look as good as reasonable possible.

So my interest is the best looking, most durable primer and top coat combination.

I've sprayed a lot of lacquer on wood projects and rustoleum and equipment enamel on metal projects over the years

I haven't used much automotive hi-end paint, but I'm not opposed to learning how to apply it.

Are high-build primers any harder to work with? If so, what are some recommended brands?

are some primers more prone to chip, or make the top coat less durable.

rmaynard

Best all-around primer is 2-part epoxy. Sticks to everything. Be careful though, some epoxies are miserable to sand. I use a product called DTM Epoxy from TCP Global. Easy to sand and goes on smooth.

• Like 1

Tankman

I don't prime often. Several coats with Rustoleum Regal Red, rattle cans, hold up well.

I leave lots of time between coats.  :)

PS. I like the Regal Red and is on my route under $4 a can at Home "Cheapo."

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

Mr. 856

In my opinion the primer would depend on what your going over. If it was bare metal id go 2K epoxy to seal it up then maybe a 2K urethane primer then topcoat that. No clear coat on these old girls so skip that. If your going over a painted surface then you can go 2K urethane then topcoat. You could also go with a self etching primer if bare metal. You have a few choices.

• Like 1