RedRanger

867 made it home. From 0 to 2 in just three weeks. (Picture Heavy)

ben06351

Well, they both look great to me. I'm sure that they will clean right up. You have the makings of a fine herd there. As far as HP you may be surprised with what you can do with what you settled for. I know that my B-80 keeps me amazed at how much work it can do with just 8 hp. I guess it's all in the gearing.

RedRanger

Well, they both look great to me. I'm sure that they will clean right up. You have the makings of a fine herd there. As far as HP you may be surprised with what you can do with what you settled for. I know that my B-80 keeps me amazed at how much work it can do with just 8 hp. I guess it's all in the gearing.

Thanks for the compliments Ben.  The lawn ranger is truly a 10 footer.  The pictures make it look better than it is.  The hood and fenders are going to need a lot of bodywork, the deck has a rot hole in it, belts are shot, etc.  We knew that though.  The plan is a father son project this year.  Spend some quality time in the garage.  The 867 is the more solid of the two.  As for the 867, I agree the gearing has a lot to do with it.  The old Kohlers are tough as nails too.  I don't plan to work it really, just hope it's fun to mow with once in a while.  I grew up on an Economy and a MF, both had Kohlers.  14 and 12 HP.  I remember them mowing well, problem is I've gotten accustomed to 24 HP and a 60 inch deck.  These older mowers should be a good time.

Jparkes43

my favourite tractor those rangers!! currently restoring one now

james

• Like 2

wh500special

In my estimation, the 867 is definitely one of the more scarce models. While most pre-1968 tractors were one model year only tractors, there really isn't much difference among them.

The 867 isn't especially unique, but it was from the first year that wh made available the dual range transaxle. And it's a short frame which is a bit unusual for the 6-spd. The relative scarcity and "first year" status for what became the default transmission option makes the 867 a pretty significant collectible.

Nice little tractors! Welcome to the hobby!

Steve

• Like 1

Ken B

You and your son will have a great time together, I know I have a lot of fun with my 13 yr old son and my 20 yr. old son before him.. Two very nice tractors you picked up, I haven't seen too many 867's myself!

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Very nice finds! Looks like the addiction is kicking in!  :ychain:  The 867's are out there, but I've only seen about a dozen or so, I have one myself and really like it,I use it for mowing around our house.

jackhammer

Looks like you might have two to fight over down the road.  Good for you and welcome here   :WRS:

RedRanger

In my estimation, the 867 is definitely one of the more scarce models. While most pre-1968 tractors were one model year only tractors, there really isn't much difference among them.

The 867 isn't especially unique, but it was from the first year that wh made available the dual range transaxle. And it's a short frame which is a bit unusual for the 6-spd. The relative scarcity and "first year" status for what became the default transmission option makes the 867 a pretty significant collectible.

Steve

I may be wrong as I'm new to WH, but from what I'm seeing, the 867 is the first of the 6-spd as you stated (along with the 10 and 12 Hp that year, but they were long frames)

After 1967, all of the 6 speeds were in long frames.

So the 867 is the first and only short frame with the 6 speed and a small block.  I think that makes it pretty unique.  

As in rarity, I was just wondering if anyone knew the production numbers of the 867 vs the 855 or 877 for that year.  Seems I see a lot more of the other two models around.  Both on this site as well as for sale on the interweb.

Edited by RedRanger

RedRanger

Very nice finds! Looks like the addiction is kicking in!  :ychain:  The 867's are out there, but I've only seen about a dozen or so, I have one myself and really like it,I use it for mowing around our house.

Thanks Jake.  When you're mowing, what gears are you generally using?  Hi or low? and which gear?  Can the 8Hp handle thick grass?

Looks like you might have two to fight over down the road.  Good for you and welcome here   :WRS:

Thanks JH!

JC 1965

Great lookin tractors.  :WRS:

RedRanger

So can anyone tell me if this seat was factory for a 1967 WH?  I assumed all 67 models came with the metal seat pans, but I've since seen this same plastic/fiberglass pan on two other 1967 models on this site.  Is it from a later model or could it have been stock that year?  Thanks.

207_zps8f8983f8.jpg

208_zps443cbbed.jpg

Great lookin tractors.  :WRS:

Thanks Jerry!

Kegler

Looks like the original from my 1077 and my charger 10

RedRanger

Looks like the original from my 1077 and my charger 10

Thanks Kegler.  Looking at it closer this morning it looks to be a heavy duty fiberglass shell.  It's in good shape.  I'll either recover it or buy another aftermarket cover.

RedRanger

Also-  Can anyone tell me what this L bracket is for?  It's located on the right hand front corner of the frame above the axle.  (Bottom left corner of the picture)

204_zps8e4bbf75.jpg

Also notice the labels added by a previous owner.  All four corners were labeled for tire pressure as well as a label on the belt guard for oil.  

205_zps860f0734.jpg

Geno

Hey Red and if I haven't done it already :WRS:

Whoever put the labels on it must have took care of it awfully well, looks like you got some good ones!   :handgestures-thumbsup:

RedRanger

Hey Red and if I haven't done it already :WRS:

Whoever put the labels on it must have took care of it awfully well, looks like you got some good ones!   :handgestures-thumbsup:

I popped one of the labels off and the paint behind it is like brand new.  Them are some old labels.  lol

Yea, I'm guessing the owner was either very maintenance oriented or very forgetful...or both.

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Thanks Jake.  When you're mowing, what gears are you generally using?  Hi or low? and which gear?  Can the 8Hp handle thick grass?

Thanks JH!

I don't have very thick grass, or usually let it get that tall, but normally in 2nd or 3rd high, these aren't very fast tractors and they have plenty of power to run my little 32" deck. It cuts pretty good, and is a lot funner than push mowing up by the house.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

:WRS: , and thanks for the photos.

I am glad you and your son will be working on these together, and YES, they are addictive, so you wife is correct.

jm46322

join the club i ended up going from zero to  2 round hoods in about 30 days also.

you ended up with 2 nice ones congrats ! 

i am sure that time spent with your son will make those menories that last for ever.

my son  and i are in process of redoing one of them and making it a hybred

and one is staying barn fresh after some mechinical repairs

i see that your from nw indiana  

the power show is july 10-12 this year at the crown point fair grounds

sounds like we both need to get busy if we are going to make it.

• Like 1

wheel-mule

When You get ready to add to your herd get with me.You never know what I might have.Great looking tractors :happy-jumpeveryone:

Edited by wheel-mule

RedRanger

join the club i ended up going from zero to  2 round hoods in about 30 days also.

you ended up with 2 nice ones congrats ! 

i am sure that time spent with your son will make those menories that last for ever.

my son  and i are in process of redoing one of them and making it a hybred

and one is staying barn fresh after some mechinical repairs

i see that your from nw indiana  

the power show is july 10-12 this year at the crown point fair grounds

sounds like we both need to get busy if we are going to make it.

I'm in Schererville.  Right next door.  Keep in touch.

When You get ready to add to your herd get with me.You never know what I might have.Great looking tractors :happy-jumpeveryone:

Thank you and I will!

bowtieguy

Steve

Found this info while searching for one of the 16 WH models made in 1967...seeing that I have about 6 of the 16 models in the barn I started to look for more in hopes of collecting all 16...well, I found a T-867 nearby....(not listed in the WH file...wonder why?)...looks like I "gotta have it"...will look good next to my 857 and my 1057 and my 1067..

Didn't know much about the T-867 ...but I'm learning (remember, never too old to learn something new!!)..plus short frames get my attention~!

Thanks for the pics Racinfool and info Steve and TT...now if I can only get the herd down to SIXTEEN....all 1967 models! :scratchead:

• Like 2

bean

the 867 also has a limited slip differential. and ,as mentioned, the only 8spd short frame.

RedRanger

Well, she's cleaned up and put her to work hauling brush to the street today.

Amazing how these things clean up.  Power washed and degreased, powder coated rims, new tubes, new seat cover, buffed original paint, new ignition switch, re-wired entire tractor, new belts, cleaned and set points, new plug and air filter, rebuilt carb, new engine gasket kit, de-carboned the head, lapped and gapped the valves, new tail lights and headlight bulbs, added an amp gauge, new lift cable, added a fixed pulling tongue, new tie rods.  Fun little bugger.

Before

post-14487-0-28563600-1427058930_thumb.j

post-14487-0-72507300-1427058961_thumb.j

After

post-14487-0-07341300-1427059037_thumb.j

post-14487-0-21089800-1427059045_thumb.j

post-14487-0-87640300-1427059072_thumb.j

post-14487-0-25954000-1427059098_thumb.j

post-14487-0-76738300-1427059226_thumb.j

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 2