nrowles

Why Do You Buy?

chip61

Growing up, a friend of my dad's would let use his wheel horse to till our garden every spring. I was hooked on wheel horse ever since. My father in law and I have a few acres on the water that I maintain. He bought a new cub cadet 7-8 years ago and I was never impressed with it. My neighbor had a wheel horse 310, and he knew I wanted one. He came over one day and asked if I would be interested in a non running 314-8 that had been setting under a tarp for several years. It had less than 300 hours on it and cleaned up nicely. I got a deck for it and now have a nice tractor to cut grass with. I have since bought a C160 that also turned out to be a great worker. It was supposed to be a restoration project-maybe I'll get around to it one of these days.

• Like 5

barns1

My collecting/addiction started in 1985 when my wonderful wife and I were married. We bought a small home and needed a mower to keep it cut. I asked my boss at the time if he knew anyone with a used mower for sale, he said sure and took me by the gentleman's house after work. He showed me a little 656 Wheel Horse, it ran good and cut grass, just what we needed. Turns out my boss had been pulling Wheel Horse Tractors for years. So it's his fault for my being addicted. I fell in love with that tough little tractor, it went through a lot of abuse and never failed us once. I started my 25 year firefighting career shortly thereafter and we were able to afford a nicer home with about the same amount of property, it was an excuse to buy another Wheel Horse! I found a very well cared for 74 A90 Special that my wife still uses to this day. The collection had begun. Today we have seven which are protected in a small barn, where else. I have always enjoyed tinkering with them. When I was diagnosed with Melanoma skin cancer in 2005 and Leukemia in 2008, which with other job related injuries took me out of work in 2012, the Horses(and my loving better half)started taking care of me, keeping my mind off health issues. Sorry for being so longwinded and thanks to everyone who have helped answer my questions and supported me through the years!

• Like 6

Ken B

What is more fun than hauling home a new Horse! I get pretty excited when all of the thoughts begin flyin thru my mind about how my latest find is going to turn out... Restoration is fun for me. With my other hobbies I have room for 6 tractors. When the time does come to sell or trade (my favorite) I'm content in knowing that they ALWAYS leave my place in better shape than they arrived... It may sound a little corny but I like to rescue the ones that have been put out to pasture.. I was offered a lot of money for my little Hot Rod Suburban at last yrs. Big Show. Not for sale. This is the one tractor that anytime I ride it I'm a little kid again without a care in the world!  FUN. That is what its all about for me... I can remember the day my son Cole went to pick up my Suburban and 633 (which also got restored) from Cre1992 (aka Charles) The whole ride home I was so full of excitement, it was like I was 10 yrs. old again, without a care in the world!

6031_zps4d01b4d4.jpg

IMG_1686_zps04fa1460.jpg

002-5.jpg

007-13_zps7f383d09.jpg

• Like 8

Fun Engineer

Flip? As in...

attachicon.gifback-flip_commando.jpg

I get a smile on my face and a tear in my eye every time I see this picture. Glad both you and the tractor survived Bob.

Sent from my tractor seat.

• Like 3

Butch

My reason for having more than one is because the damn implements weigh so much. It's a PITA

changing out implements. I'm looking for a 3rd now so I can leave my snow plow on my C-175. My

C-85 has the mower deck. Another tractor will have the grader blade. I still have to yank out my

mower deck, which is a PITA, to get the blades off to sharpen.

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

My reason for having more than one is because the damn implements weigh so much. It's a PITA

changing out implements. I'm looking for a 3rd now so I can leave my snow plow on my C-175. My

C-85 has the mower deck. Another tractor will have the grader blade. I still have to yank out my

mower deck, which is a PITA, to get the blades off to sharpen.

at least this is what Butch and the rest of us tell our wives [emoji12]

Sent from my tractor seat.

• Like 1

857 horse

I DONT HAVE A BIG YARD..

I DONT FISH,,,HECK I DONT HUNT..

I CAN MOW MY YARD WITH A PUSH MOWER....

5 YEARS AGO ,I STOPPED AN OLD TRACTOR GOING OUT OF A MANS PICK-UP IN THE DUMP...

HAD NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS,,

A 401 WHEEEL HORSE..NO ENGINE,,,NO HOOD,,BAD REAR..

IT CAME HOME WITH ME

NOW,,,,ITS THERAPY,,,DEVOTED PEOPLE AND HOBBY

AND ALL PEOPLE ASK OF ME IS

ARE YOU HAVING FUN?

NOW,,,,I ASK YOU,,,,,,,,ARE YOU HAVING FUN??????

THANK-YOU FOR ASKING

• Like 5