km3h

BLASTING CABINET SAFETY PRECAUTIONS

km3h

Yesterday I was using my newly acquired blasting cabinet. I have it hooked up to a vacuum and thought this was good enough to keep from breathing the dust that escapes from the cabinet. My shop is crowded, so I usually move the two tractors that are parked in the center of the shop out the back door and then move them back in when I come inside for the day. Since it is colder now I had both the garage doors closed while I was using the blaster. I am using 80 grit glass beads by the way. 

When I finished, I opened the rear door to move the tractors back in and I was surprised to see a large cloud of dust billowing up into the sky. I suddenly realized that I had spent several hours breathing all this dust into my lungs.  

I will wear a face mask from now on.

• Like 1

953 nut

:twocents-twocents:  One idea I saw years ago is to put an air conditioner filter on a large box fan and run it as a dust collector while you are working. Not perfect, but it will get a lot of the dust.

• Like 1

varosd

having silicon in the lungs is bad news

Terry M

Just curious as to what kind/brand of cabinet you have.  I'm Thinking of buying something this spring and would like some input on different brands and set-ups......and, I  Can't afford anything thats TOO fancy  mind you... :)   

Save Old Iron

If your vacuum has an outlet port, hook a hose to it and direct it outside. I keep the blaster cabinet near the garage doors and keep the vacuum outside (and the garage doors nearly closed while running).

• Like 1

squonk

TP Tools has everything you need for blasting Including the proper type of vacuum!  :)

http://tptools.com/

• Like 3

Fun Engineer

In addition to the round filter, I use a HEPA filter bag in my vac. It makes a big difference in how much dust escapes.

I like Save Old Iron's idea to connect a hose to the outlet port. Will try this next time.

Sent from my tractor seat.

• Like 1

km3h

TP Tools has everything you need for blasting Including the proper type of vacuum!  :)

http://tptools.com/

I do not know the brand of  cabinet I have. Bought it used. It is big though. I bought a new gun and pickup tub from TP Tools and am very pleased with it. Much better than the one that came with mine.

Silica come from using sand which I do not use. I am aware how harmful silica is to the lungs. In fact it is deadly.   I am currently using 80 grit glass beads.

I like the idea of putting an exhaust hose outside. I will do that the next time I use it. I also use a bag over the filter in my shop vac.

Edited by km3h
  • Like 1

squonk

Use the carbide orifice and nozzles. They cost more up front but save you money in the long run with their durability. Especially with aggressive media

• Like 1