motor12

Shop interior walls

motor12

What would be a good material to cover the interior walls of a small shop. I was thinking of 3/8 inch sheet rock. I am open to any and all suggestions. I only want to do this one time so getting the right covering the first time would be nice.Thanks.

Racinbob

3/8" sheet rock is OK but a bit light if that's the only covering. 1/2" would be a better choice. My workshop up north had 3/8" rock and then 1/4" plywood. The plywood was far less prone to damage. In any case you should start with rock for fire purposes. If complying with the code you must use it.

953 nut

:twocents-twocents:  I used 5/8 OSB and am very pleased with it. Cost a bit more than drywall, but you can run a screw in it to hang things up and not be bothered looking for a stud. Also, when the inevitable happens and something hits the wall it won't leave a hole to patch.

• Like 2

can whlvr

I would use 34 plywood,i would steer clear of sheetrock in a shop,not durable and will fall apart in some time,unless you use the exterior type used to sheet the exterior of houses,but I wouldn't use it

Geno

I would go with metal like I have in mine.  Wash it once a year, always looks new, run into a piece just pop it off and change it.  :)

Wheel-N-It

How about 3/8 or 1/2 inch plywood from the floor to 4 foot above the floor, then peg board the rest of the way up? I love peg board.

• Like 2

KyBlue

Sparks can get behind pegboard ... keep that in mind ...

Personally I like Drywall ... Its a bit more to get it up but it looks oh so nice when done

• Like 1

Forest Road

Mine is all 1/2" drywall. 3/4 plywood over drywall in areas where I'm hanging equipment.

Mr. 856

Im going to do my shed in the spring so this is a good post and the ideas are good. I like the idea of 1/2 plywood and 1/2 pegboard in half the shed. I need some wall space to hang stuff to keep some floor space.

nhunt308

T111 exterior pre finished plywood sheets... hang it and done, no finishing required and durable as well..

• Like 2