Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Went and done it

Nick

Nice truck Terry. SHould do better than the inline 5 Chevy. Even if its not a Ford. :D I'll have to admit Ford didnt add 4 doors or a V8 to the Ranger like they should have. Even sounds like the Ranger could be gone in 2010 if they dont replace it.

Performance results might vary from truck brand to brand but I hear good things about the Airforce one filter system, at least on F-150 engines.

http://www.airforceoneperformance.com/

The superchips programers also give good results if you dont mind an extra 20c a gallon for premium. They can be used on regular gas but with lower results. Either way they firm up shifts remove shift delays and raise rev limters. And for Dale they also remove top speed limiters. :P

Lot of places sell the Airforce one and computer tuners. One place to try is Troyer performance in VA. He does custom tuners and also sells preloaded tuners. I know he specializes in Ford but sells for all brands. Depends on brand truck but the tuner can have up to 3 tunes to choose from.

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi-bin/p...&link=storelist

Curmudgeon

I thought about a programmer, but general consensus of those I talked to said they can do wonders in diesel where there is a lot of things to adjust. In your basic gas engine, about the thing adjustable is the timing and mixture. The stock computer will adjust the mixture to meet a less restrictive intake or exhaust. More sophisticated engines might have valve timing, etc.

Other words, not much bang for what they cost. Plus, if you EVER took it in for any kind of work, warranty especially, when it was hooked up to down load the codes, (at a dealer at least) they'd reset everything to stock specs. If you tried to redo the codes with your programmer, it would be a no go. They are programmed to only do ONE vehicle, leaving traces behind once used. Next time they are plugged in, if those traces are gone, as the would be when everything was reset, it would deem it a different vehicle, and not work. To me, just not worth that much money.

Your results may vary.

Even at that, I would like the speed limiter GONE! I'm getting tired of the insurance companies putting the limit to me instead of basic horsepower vs. wind and rolling resistance!

Dale

T-Mo

Nick,

You bring up a good question, one that I've thought about myself. Why doesn't Ford make a 4 door Ranger? I've heard why there isn't a 4.6 in one (something about it won't fit in a Ranger but will an Explorer). But Ford may be missing a segment of the market by not making a true 4 door crew Ranger.

Stephen,

My brother-in-law would love for me to borrow your F250 4X4 V10 as he's a true blue oval guy and loves to have at least a F250 with a big gas engine. Though I'm sure he would want me to put the gas in it. :D

Nick

Terry,

I dont know why Ford chose not to build a 4 door Ranger or to make the 4.6 fit. They did come out with the Explorer Sport trac that has a bed and V8, but its more or less a plastic bed. The real strange thing is Mexico and other countries have a 4 door Ranger so all Ford had to do was bring it here. They even have a diesel 4 door Ranger. Ford says the small truck market is slow so they might even drop the Ranger alltogether around 2010. Hard to believe but lot or rumors about it in the net.

4 door Ranger

4DOORRANGER.jpg

Drove my brothers 2001 crew cab V10 4x4 to the PA show in 06. With 3 adults and bags up front and the load ranger in back we got around 14 to 14.5mpg. Other brothers 95 f350 460v8 gets maybe 10mpg at best. All Fords in this family. :D

v10.jpg