c175

Replacing 417a Kohler kt17 with Harbor Freight 22 V-twin?

c175

Hi All,

Will a predator 22hp engine work in a 417a?

slammer302

Ooooh yeah shouldn't take to much to make it work

smoreau

Make sure you document your repower on this site. There are a lot of members thinking of using this engine! my self included!

Wheel-N-It

I've been to a couple of HF stores looking for this particular engine with no success.

fireman

My local Harbor Freight still doesn't have any of the twins yet. I'm still waiting.

ericj

does it have bearing and can it take the side load from the pto just asking

eric j

varosd

from the HF web site. 

• Ball bearing support shaft for long life

Shaft length (in.) 2.84 in/72.2 mm

boovuc

I believe to use the drive pulley AND the factory PTO, you'll need over three inches of "CrankShaft"!

The inch and an eighth diameter shafts for the WH spec Kohler Garden Tractors from the C-series, 300, 400 and 500 series were 3 and 25/32 inch long with a .25" keyed shaft. You can repower using a smaller shaft but to use the stock PTO for use with your implements, size really does matter! :roll:  

fireman

That works fine for me because I don't run any attachments and just need the drive pulley.

fireman

I stopped by my local Harbor Freight today and talked to them about the 22hp engine. They were aware of it but have never had it in the store. They said as far as they know it can be only ordered online. They could be wrong but the guy I talked to has been there since they opened a couple of years ago and he really seems to know what's going on there.

Martin

Jeff, sounds like you have a plan for one of these engines? could be wrong, but i think i know which one......

Geno

That would be a beast for sure.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

c175

I think the shaft is 1" where the kt417 is 1 1/8" there is someone on ebay that makes a sleeve, I guess if the mounting bolts don't line up you could modify the mounting plate?

c175

I think the shaft would be long enough because the pulley set screws only needs about an inch, then the PTO sleeve could act as the extension. Home Depot also offers a similar engine with an 1 1/8 x 3; shaft, Lifan.. Probaly the Chinese difference between Johnson and Evinrude?

The only trouble with them both is the muffler points in towards the operator?

fireman

For me it would be fine. I just need the drive pulley so I can get a 1" bore pulley of the same diameter. I'm not running any attachments so don't need the PTO on there. 

Yeah Martin i've got something in the works. But then again i'm not one to kiss and tell  :laughing-rofl: ! Everyone will have to wait till the big show!

pfrederi

oops replied to wrong thread

Edited by pfrederi

Don1977

The description states the 22  has ball bearing supported shaft, but the parts list does not list any. I don't see any on the parts diagram.

Ken B

Is your KT 17 dead? If your 417 still runs good I'd leave that KT on there...

• Like 3

SALTYWRIGHT

I PUT A 10 HORSE POWER DIESEL IN MY 417-8 FOR $500.00. IT HAD MORE THAN A 19 H/P GAS ENGINE.       RUSS

dracey

any updates on this? I have a hydro with a bad crank that I'm thinking about doing this to. Would be interested to see what has to be done with the hood.

shallowwatersailor

I PUT A 10 HORSE POWER DIESEL IN MY 417-8 FOR $500.00. IT HAD MORE THAN A 19 H/P GAS ENGINE.       RUSS

The small 10-22 hp diesels are not being imported at this time. I checked with Carrol Stream Motor Company two weeks ago and was told hopefully in the Spring.