clueless

The Elusive 18 HP Kohler OHC

clueless

Pictures of the Kohler OHC that some people say they never made. Over 900 hours and still running strong. 

-Chris in Florida

post-2565-0-11318200-1417571815_thumb.jp

post-2565-0-87705900-1417571827_thumb.jp

post-2565-0-96722800-1417571837_thumb.jp

546cowboy

I've never had any Wheel Horses newer than 1991 so I've never seen an OHC Kohler. Thanks

joel_400

Ive seen them but never on a wheelhorse. Isnt that a simplicity?

• Like 1

craigbic

:text-datsphatyo: Sweet! Looks like a cool paint job too!

19richie66

My dad had one on a powerking that someone retrofitted. Ran good once he got it going. I had never seen one before that.

Jim_M

Thanks for posting the pictures. Just like a new car engine, they keep it covered so you can't see much. If you ever have any of the covers off of it, snap some pictures for us. I'm going to download the manual for it when I get a chance so I can see the insides, but pictures are always better.

clueless

Sorry, didn't mean to imply the engine came on a Wheel Horse. Just showing the motor because some people didn't know they ever made them. The tractor that it is on is a 75th anniversary Simplicity Sovereign.

Jim, I would like to take the valve covers off to show you, but they are the biggest flaw in the design. The plastic covers eventually flex and warp, leaking oil down on the fins. You can't see it and it becomes dirty and clogged with grass clippings. The engine starts overheating and you can drop a sleeve or the piston sticks to the cylinder. The valve covers have been siliconed to prevent this, but if I ever have to remove them we will take pictures. The link below is information about this engine from a man who knew them well. 

http://www.simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=124577

-Chris from Florida

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks Chris, differant for sure.

Glenn

oaktown1987

Always wanted one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMCIII

Those 75th Anniv. Simplicity were some awesome GT's. I always thaught they were very nice looking. I found one a while back, with only 10hrs. on it, but they wanted $7k for it. Deck had not even been used. Had the optional hitch and there was another attachment, but I can't remember what it was.

Rob

Ken B

Those 75th Anniv. Simplicity were some awesome GT's. I always thaught they were very nice looking. I found one a while back, with only 10hrs. on it, but they wanted $7k for it. Deck had not even been used. Had the optional hitch and there was another attachment, but I can't remember what it was.

Rob

There is one in CT. from a guy I kinda know but Stevebo is very good friends with him. He has a Simplicity 75th anniversary with 50 hrs. on it that is MINT. Its on CT craigslist for 2200 bucks!

• Like 1

Buckshot 1

:) Here in the Fort, a long time Simple City dealer has one in his showroom. Chrome wheels and all the goodies, very sharp piece of equipment. :USA:

TT

I definitely know they were produced. :blink:  The one I had ended up being a good runner, but took a lot to get it back in shape.

Well ahead of their time, but a total disaster that scarred Kohler almost as bad as the Courage line of engines.

The earliest engines were known for the cylinder sleeves coming loose and sliding downward into the crankshaft.  :eek:

Design changes to prevent that from happening were not always successful and Kohler eventually ceased production after only a few years.

The heads, cylinders, and upper half of the block is all one casting. The valves are the first pieces to get installed ~ UP through the cylinders from the bottom. The piston & rod assemblies went in from the bottom next, followed by the crankshaft and the bottom half of the crankcase.

I bought a 1999 (?) Sovereign with the Triad engine. It had a broken timing belt and obvious signs of the previously-mentioned valve cover leaks.

This was the tractor:

throw1.png

Here's a few pics of the teardown for timing belt replacement:

triadteardown025.jpg

triadteardown020.jpg

After some Purple Power & a pressure washer:

triadstage2001.jpg

Good view of the horizontally-split crankcase:

triadstage2004.jpg

The Command twins are a much better engine. I learned my lesson about Triads the hard way and don't care to see another one here ever.

(moved this to "other brands" while I was here)

• Like 1

AMC RULES

There is one in CT. from a guy I kinda know but Stevebo is very good friends with him. He has a Simplicity 75th anniversary with 50 hrs. on it that is MINT. Its on CT craigslist for 2200 bucks!

What?    :scared-eek: 

Jim's tractor is for sale?   

post-3498-0-69626900-1417839841_thumb.jp

RMCIII

Terry - you sure did clean it up nice. How was the overall performance when you had it running good?

Rob

TT

Terry - you sure did clean it up nice. How was the overall performance when you had it running good?

Rob

It actually started & ran rather well and seemed very strong.

• Like 1

chazm

Damn TT is there anything you haven't had your hands into   :eusa-think:  ? ... Well mechanically that is :ychain:

TT

Damn TT is there anything you haven't had your hands into   :eusa-think:  ? ... Well mechanically that is :ychain:

I don't hunt or fish anymore, I could care less about sports, and I don't drink ~ so I need stuff like this to occupy my spare time.  :hilarious:

• Like 7

RMCIII

Terry-

Funny you mention hunting... As a teenager/young adult, I walked away from the sportsman league... At the age of 10 I bought my first rifle. At the age of 13, I was give a Remington 870 trap grade 12 gauge for Christamas. By the age of 16 I was begining to draw the attention of sponsers. < The reason why I walked away is a LONG and hurtful explination. Regardless it is now some 18 years later, and I find myself on the verge of having a rifle that has a velocity of 3,680 fps. and a trap grade mdel 12 shot gun with a square trap grade barrel.... < If you know about trap/*****, you will understand that......

So my question is did you just finally decide it was enough?

Rob

• Like 1

TT

So my question is did you just finally decide it was enough?

Rob

Don't want to start a discussion of governmental corruption, so I'll just say I'm no longer in favor of financially supporting the PA Fish or Game Commissions. B)

• Like 3

case442

Hi TT,

Its still running great. Sold it to a friend though.

Mike

TT

Hi TT,

Its still running great. Sold it to a friend though.

Mike

Hi Mike!

I was wondering if you were still around & if you'd chime in.  :handgestures-thumbup:

Hope all is well "out West"!

Ken B

What?    :scared-eek: 

Jim's tractor is for sale?   

Not Jim, his name is Tommy.

AMC RULES

:eusa-doh:  That's right Ken...    :thanks: 

Tom...I knew that...met him at Steve's...great guy.  

post-3498-0-83356900-1418076231_thumb.jp

case442

Yes sir Terry,

Doing well, I did sale the F-450 though. I got a little smaller one now. A 150 king ranch. Did you ever get your solid axle swap finished?