RMCIII

Harbor Freight 12v Heater

RMCIII

I am sure most of us have seen the little Harbor Freight 12v heater that seems like it would not have enough heat to even warm an ants behind. I have changed my mind after seeing (2) of them in action last week. The 1435 came with (2) of them mounted in the cab. (1) up high, and (1) half way down the windshield. If you look at the video I posted in the "What will you be using thread", you will notice how large of a windshield it has. 30" w x 48" H. Then you have the cab space itself.

The day I shot the video there were 20mph northern winds. You can tell how windy it is when I am standing behind the unit and the snow is being blown to the West. The temp that day was 22 degrees and wind chill placed it around 5 degrees. I said all that to help paint the picture. Here it is:

(2) Harbor Freight heaters managed to keep the windshield clear of snow meaning, it melted off the windshield, and it was some 15 to 20 degrees warmer in the cab than outside. Now this is by no means the best heater I have come across, HOWEVER, for its size and what I saw it do in the space of the Deere's cab, I was very impressed. So, I had 1 lying around the garage, decided to mount it in the cab of the "XI". Placed it in the pre-drilled holes for the beacon light on top. Here is what I know so far.

The heater and the windshield wiper can't be ran at the same time or it will blow the fuse. No big deal, will just run, 1 or the other, at a time. The Deere had both of them wired into a 30amp. accs. fuse. Unfortunately the "xi" does not have that. It seems like (1) may very well work just fine.

Rob

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

I had mine installed in my 314 cab. Only used it on those bitter cold days when the moisture from my person would fog the glass. It worked well enough considering the limited amount of power available for it. I'm going to install it on my X530 as soon as I finish the headliner.

Where's the video Rob?

Sent from my tractor seat.

• Like 1

RMCIII

It is the last posting on the thread "what will you be using to clear snow"

Rob

craigbic

Do you think I could run this (intermittently perhaps) in my 314-8?

Fun Engineer

Found it. That's a lot of glass. The JD really throws the snow well.

Craigbic. Your 314 should power it. Don't expect any real heat for the cab. It will however keep an area clear on the windshield so that you can see. If you have a wiper you'll want to use it as there's not a lot of melting taking place except where you aim the defroster. I had mine mounted with velcro to the lower left corner of the windshield aimed in the area that I needed to look through. I only ran it when absolutely necessary to reduce the drain on my battery.

I just look at the picture of your cab. I don't know how well this will work on a vinyl window. Since it doesn't put out a lot of heat I wouldn't worry too much about it melting the plastic I just don't know how good it will do in melting any snow on the outside along with any fogging on the inside.

Edited by Fun Engineer
  • Like 2

craigbic

I was thinking more about all the fogging I get on the inside windshield when I'm in it for awhile.

Fun Engineer

Well it should help. One thing I learned is not to exert myself before I get into the cab i.e. no snow shoveling or over exertion. That helps to keep the perspiration down which in turn helps keep windshield from fogging. Because of the location of my chute control and forward-reverse lever I tend to lean forward which caused me to breathe on the windshield. LOL that didn't help at all.

craigbic

I was surprised how compact the 314-8 control area is in general and then you add a confining snow cab and a big guy into the mix and I'm huffing and puffing just getting into it!  :grin: I also found myself leaning into the windshield a bit and had to consciously sit back. The HF heater is dirt cheap so I guess the worst that can happen is my battery cuts out snow blowing and I'm out $15.

RMCIII

Based on my 1 time expierence with the (2) that are mounted in the 1435 cab, I would say it would keep the window free from fogging up and possibly add additional heat to the cab overall. Like I mentioned above, the cab is very large, and the (2) heaters had it some 15 to 20 degrees warmer in the cab than outside temp. That is the extent of my knowledge thus far. I hope to add more once the snow starts to fly.

Rob

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

craigbic

It's funny, the engine and/or my respiration seem to keep my cab warm because for the few hours I've used it snow blowing, I had to take my sweatshirt off because it was too warm in there. I just want something to keep my vinyl window fog-free. Right now I'm using a rag.

RMCIII

Some of the vinyl cabs cover enough of the engine shroud to allow engine heat back into the cab. The engine on a "xi" sits way forward on the frame compared to where the vinyl wraps around the hood.

Rob

Fun Engineer

Here's how I installed the defroster in my new cab.

• Like 4

RMCIII

How Funny! I should have your's, since it is red, and you should have mine since it is yellow.

Rob

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

RoadPro makes them in black but this matched the 314 it was in.

I think I'll go this route next time. http://m.ebay.com/itm/like/111230330153?lpid=82

Edited by Fun Engineer
  • Like 1

HorseFixer

I have used one in the of the 520 snow chucker since Inception. In the Ole C-120 the heat off the engine heat collector I built puts out 5 times the heat that the Cab Heater does. But the Electric heater works good in the 520-H Chucker. :thumbs:   

• Like 1

608KEB

I was wondering if I could see pictures of how and where you installed your 12V heaters. Where can I run the power from without blowing fuses. Also what type of heater you are using. I have a 93 530-H Thanks!!

post-5623-0-91722400-1420689992_thumb.jp

Edited by 608KEB
  • Like 1

Fun Engineer

Here's how I installed the defroster in my new cab. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1417829452.059232.jpg

Mine was wired directly to the battery with a 25amp in-line fuse on my Wheel Horse 314. On the JD it is wired to my switch panel that has a 25 amp fuse from the switch to the heater in addition to a 30 amp fuse between the battery and switch panel.

• Like 3

RMCIII

Thanks Fun...... Mine was done almost the same.

Rob

HorseFixer

I built a dash for all of my added controls. Here is where mine is located, I mounted mine low figuring heat rises to get the best use of thermodynamics.   :thumbs:  

• Like 1

ericj

run a new line direct from the battery with a correct size in line fuse for the heater. then you don't have to worry about blowing the fuse on the tractor if you run the wiper or what ever else might overload the circuit

eric j 

608KEB

Thanks, I bought the 12 volt heater from Harbor Freight this afternoon. Pretty cool for $11.00. I hooked it up off the battery. I used it tonight! It worked great. It actually does throw out a little heat too!

Fun Engineer

-4 degrees, -22 windchill and my Harbor Freight defroster worked flawlessly. Best $9.99 I ever spent [emoji2]