Anthony Wendover

Engine may have seized?

Anthony Wendover

Hey guys been a while since iv posted to bad my return is cause of a possible seized engine :( I was mowing with it back in october and it started to lose power slowly and shut off. I was able to restart it for a second and then same thing it lost power like bogged down and died. It has been restarted since. But if you try to crank on it to turn it over it sounds very healthy and normal. So i am not sure what to look for. Any ideas on what i should look for? I pulled the head off and everything seemed fine to me. want to get my baby going again and ready for the snow. any help or tips would be appreciated :)

May have helped to say its a 312-8 horse with a 12hp kohler mag on it 

Tristan Wilson

are the vales seating properly In the seats, timing could do that ,coil breaking down, air leak, carb problems that's just a few

Fordiesel69

Not seized.  You have a fuel problem.  Work your way from the tank to the carburetor.  Its just that simple, where the fuel is not making it to, is the problem. 

WH nut

Is there any noise when it is running, any low thud or knock. Be careful if it doesn't seem right and don't wait for noises. Like stated before, check fuel. if that doesn't reveal the problem I would pull the pan and check the rod. I had on do something similar and the governor gear had come apart and pieces got into the rod and did some damage. It would run but get tight and bog and die.

Anthony Wendover

I think ill rebuild the carb and check the full line again.. It started in the spring it would randomly lose some power you could hear it in revs and then it would still run and be fine and mow. Then i noticed a throttle cable kept going down over bumps so i replaced that and i had good full revs.. then there was no noise it just started slowing down then shut off i started it again no noise then shut off.. Now it doesn't start at all.. But you can crank on it and hear it spin there is no weird sounds at all it just doesn't start at all.. Fingers crossed the fuel line is plugged or its a dirty carb. I can also freely turn the motor by hand too so maybe coil maybe fuel?

ericj

if you pull the plug out do you have compression when you crank it over ? if not you have bigger problems but it also sounds like my 312-A i have when the exhaust valve would stick, but only when the motor got hot. but yours might be further along then mine was when i figured out the problem. check compression before going much further or pull the head and check it out better

eric j

Anthony Wendover

Hey guys been gone for a long time been super busy over the last couple years. Tractor has been under a tarp and am just now getting to work on it. UPDATE

I pulled the head off of it and everything is moving freely as it should. So i checked spark and the plug is sparking just fine. Did a compression test on the engine and got about 125. I am possibly thinking this is fuel related. I pulled the bowl off the carb and it was bone dry. I am not getting any fuel through the line. So i am thinking its a possible fuel pump issue. That or the valve on the tank went bad. The tractor wants to crank but wont turn over it does sound like its starving for fuel. I took a video of it trying to start i could upload. Anyway just trying to rack more brains. Sorry for bumping this thing up but still stuck on it!

953 nut

Is any fuel flowing from the tank to the inlet of the fuel pump? Remove the line from the pump to see.

C-101plowerpower
11 hours ago, Anthony Wendover said:

Hey guys been gone for a long time been super busy over the last couple years. Tractor has been under a tarp and am just now getting to work on it. UPDATE

I pulled the head off of it and everything is moving freely as it should. So i checked spark and the plug is sparking just fine. Did a compression test on the engine and got about 125. I am possibly thinking this is fuel related. I pulled the bowl off the carb and it was bone dry. I am not getting any fuel through the line. So i am thinking its a possible fuel pump issue. That or the valve on the tank went bad. The tractor wants to crank but wont turn over it does sound like its starving for fuel. I took a video of it trying to start i could upload. Anyway just trying to rack more brains. Sorry for bumping this thing up but still stuck on it!

try a paper towel wad wet with gas and hold that infront of the carb throat, helps mine starting after standing for a while

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

heres a video local repair shop done. i had them make up the plate for the magnum i stuck on dads 502 wheel horse. 

this is a easy fix if its your fuel pump

BESTDOGEVER

Pull the line from the fuel pump to the carb crank the engine if no fuel try squinting a little light oil into the fuel pump sometimes that will help it prime. Make sure you have fuel to the inlet side of the pump 

Anthony Wendover

I am not getting any fuel through the line from the tank. So looking into that right now. Outing fuel pump back together as well 

• Like 1

Anthony Wendover

Ok another quick update. The line had fuel but the pump is not pumping it up. I by passed the line to the fuel pump and it's not picking up any fuel at all. I pulled the fuel pump apart and not sure what I see that's wrong. Also the little hole in the block the back of the pump goes in does that just sit in there?