motor12

Valve placement on rear wheels

motor12

On my 854 the rear wheel inner tube valve stem is located on the outside of the wheel. I have noticed on others it is located on the inside of the wheel. What determines the location of the valve stem. Is it wheel width, application of wheel weights, tube type or tubeless tires. Is there a right or wrong way. Thanks.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

My 1964..854 has the valve stem on the inside / rear wheels. Why? Others will chime in.

Glenn

post-12073-0-19657400-1416931369_thumb.j

scotty

Maybe the valve steam is on the inside so you dont have to worry about wheel weights hitting them? Just a guess. Im probably wrong.

• Like 2

C-85

When I was selling these new tractors I asked one of the reps why they always put the stems on the inside of the wheels and he told me it was for cosmetic reasons.  But I wished they'd forgot looks and just put them on the outside, so much easier to put air in!

• Like 2

pacer

I've always heard, and it sounds logical, it was to accommodate wheel weights... Bit of a pain to get to them tho aint it?

• Like 2

motor12

Most photos I've seen shows inside valve stem. Maybe i got a special one, or just a set of old VW rims or some such thing. 

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Most photos I've seen shows inside valve stem. Maybe i got a special one, or just a set of old VW rims or some such thing. 

They might just be turned wrong way round. Some wheels can be held to the hub either way (although one way usually works better than the other)

motor12

They might just be turned wrong way round. Some wheels can be held to the hub either way (although one way usually works better than the other)

I thought of that, but if i were to reverse the rims they will hit on the fenders.

• Like 2

Tankman

All my valve stems are to the inside. Why? Who knows?

At least I don't have to remove the WH hub caps.  :laughing-rofl:

• Like 2

Don1977

All my valve stems are to the inside. Why? Who knows?

At least I don't have to remove the WH hub caps.  :laughing-rofl:

That reason enough!

• Like 2

Geno

I put Cub rear wheels on a few of mine to get the stem to the outside.  The offset is a little different also, the cub wheels set a little further in under the fender. 

• Like 1

Tristan Wilson

yes it was wheel horse thing every garden tractor ive ever owned was on the out side if you didn't wont to change to different wheels you could allways weld to hole and drill it on the out side  

KC9KAS

One of my tractors has to be right, as on the front 1 valve stem in on the inside and the other is on the outside....Go figure!

skrusins

I always thought they are mainly put on the inside to protect them from being ripped or torn off.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I always thought they are mainly put on the inside to protect them from being ripped or torn off.

That was what I thought too!

• Like 1

groundhog47

I've always heard, and it sounds logical, it was to accommodate wheel weights... Bit of a pain to get to them tho aint it?

Agree Bill, and hub caps too!! My front wheels have valve stem on inside also, except on non WH rims. Seems Bill, if rem correctly your 1054 had them outside.

My non WH :oops:  weights have a notch for stem, which isn't there of course. JD :oops:  rims with same offset as WH also have stem inside.  

Edited by groundhog47

ericj

:text-yeahthat:   

One of my tractors has to be right, as on the front 1 valve stem in on the inside and the other is on the outside....Go figure!

could 1 of the rims be on backwards i have a C120 that somebody put both the front wheels on backward and put the valve stems out. if you look close the tires almost rub the tie rods. just an idea 

eric j

SAM58

Every original Wheel Horse rim i have seen has the valve stems on the inside. I have seen John Deer rims & Simplicity Rims that will fit a WH

and the stems will be on the outside.

My 2 Cents :)