craigbic

New guy!

craigbic

So this is my first post and I wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone here!  :greetings-clappingyellow:

I've been cruising the site for awhile researching what I could about the Wheel Horse 314-8 before making a decision to purchase one from a local dealer. Totally excellent site and a great help in my decision! I've never owned a Wheel Horse before but have had an early 90's MTD 12.5/38 LT and a much older small LT that I can't remember the manufacturer for. I have a long, steep driveway that I need to keep clear of snow (my elderly mother lives with me) and I really didn't want to go for an expensive new LT with a snow blower as there was no way it would hold up to the strain and I couldn't swing the price of a new GT setup. Then I saw this package at the local dealer but wasn't sure. It's a 1998 Wheel Horse 314-8 with 149 hours on it and includes the 42" deck, vacuum bagger, 42" snow blower, and the snow cab. Everything was in excellent condition - no rust, rot, or cracks! I had no experience with Wheel Horse and wasn't sure of their reputation. Boy am I glad I found your site! After reading a bunch of posts here about Wheel Horse and in particular the 314-8, I was VERY confident in my decision to buy it. It's being fully serviced right now (included in the price - sweet!) so I'm still waiting for delivery but here are some pictures of it (sorry, some of these are blurry - I'll post better pics when I get it home). I can't wait to get it home and put it through it's paces with some leaf pickup in prep for the inevitable snow!

post-14262-0-09613200-1416449054_thumb.j post-14262-0-91967300-1416449063_thumb.j post-14262-0-06383700-1416449076_thumb.j post-14262-0-90846300-1416449092_thumb.j

• Like 2

RMCIII

Hey Newbie - you won't need that! That is way to much for your needs! You may not have gotten such a great deal, and you probably should have gotten a newer LT> Tell you what. Just give me your adderss and I will come over Saturday, refund you the money you spent on that old package..... :ychain:  :ychain:  :laughing-rofl:

Great find! :woohoo:  I am sure many of the members will chime in saying what a GREAT FIND!

Rob

• Like 1

RMCIII

Serious though. where did you find it, cause in one of your photos, there is anothe HORSE, with a cab on it on a shelf?

Rob

Edited by RMCIII
  • Like 1

Sparky

:WRS: 

Sounds like you found a great 4 season machine!

Mike.....

• Like 1

craigbic

Serious though. where did you find it, cause in one of your photos, there is anothe HORSE, with a cab on it on a shelf?

Rob

In my neck of the woods, there's a great local Toro dealer/service shop - Boyden & Perron, Inc. The photos were taken when they brought it into the garage for servicing. They've been around for almost 60 years and they were awesome! Owner came out to my house, looked around, and gave me his honest opinion that I would need a GT for snow removal because of the grade on my driveway and the length, fearing an LT would take a beating and likely have a hard time getting traction. I originally asked for a quote for a brand new Cub Cadet LTX 1050KH 24 hp with blower, chains, and weights which came to WAYYY more than I ultimately purchased this setup for and he extolled the virtues of this package above the new setup even though it meant less money for him. No attempt to up-sell me. In fact, he was fairly confident the Cub LT would let me down and was hesitant about it. He was EXTREMELY confident in the older Wheel Horse even with less horsepower due to it's being built like a tank and having the durability to hold up to snow blowing on a steep grade and the bigger tires and heavier weight for traction. Even still, he gave me my space to think about it and held it for me. Thats when I came here to do some research. After hearing all about the awesome reputation of Wheel Horse and all the great things about the 314-8, I went ahead and bought it. I've bought all my other power equipment over the years from big box stores and was not use to this level of service - it was great! Super-stoked about my new old iron and can't wait to put it to work!

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Give them a tip...

they hooked you up. 

• Like 2

Geno

Hello Craig and :WRS:   Very nice setup you got there.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

craigbic

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!  :woohoo:

RMCIII

Sounds like they could be another possible vendor for us...... Do they know about Red Square?

Rob

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:  Looks like a very nice horse, that should do great for clearing your driveway!

• Like 1

JC 1965

Welcome to  :rs: Criaig. Good lookin tractor you got there. Love the cab.   :thumbs2:

• Like 1

craigbic

Sounds like they could be another possible vendor for us...... Do they know about Red Square?

I'm not sure but I'll ask him when he drops off the tractor. I highly recommend them! They have a large well equipment service garage and a great showroom and parts department. Very helpful! You can checkout their website at http://www.boydenandperron.com

Racinbob

:WRS: Your dealer definitely did you right. A very well deserved plug for them here. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

craigbic

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get my WH home before we get some snow. I'm actually supposed to get it next week before the holiday.

Amanda

Welcome to red square!!!

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

:WRS: Craig, nice rig there!

• Like 1

RMCIII

SOOOOO, where are the PICS of it, at it's new HOME!!!! :eusa-think:

Rob

• Like 1

craigbic
Finally got it home at 7:30 last night - JUST in time for the impending snow today! I put a couple of LED spot lights up on the cab roof but forgot to take a pic before I packed it in and went to bed.  :roll:

• Like 1

Geno

Looking good!  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

Forest Road

Welcome to RS!! Very nice! You'll be very happy with your purchase.

It's unfortunate that they're no longer in production. You'll learn soon enough that parts are easy to come by. And accessories are plentiful, just gotta be patient.

David81

Welcome Sir ------>           Very nice set up your ready for snow  :)

Terry M

Welcome to the  :rs: forum....glad to have you here...

can whlvr