prondzy

Project CLASSIFIED

Catmanii

Looking good so far. The only thing better then cheap is free.  :)

• Like 1

KyBlue

Great start so far...  Keep it up 

rmaynard

I am anxious to follow this one. Good work so far. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Geno

:text-yeahthat:  Me too.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

groundhog47

:woohoo: That is just what am planning on the L-156, have upgraded to 8" fronts and 13" rears. Have been trying to fig upcoming probs that might occur with brake and tentatively plan to swap brake shaft off 4 speed to and 8 speed case if possible. Haven't taken 4 speed apart to see if has the 11-44t gears and if will swap or not. Any way I'm sure you'll post the fix for 8 speed brake rod and thanks for unveiling project, I am anxious and still procrastinating as usual. Am curious to see your work around on the Hi-Low; I've not even really thunk on it!

prondzy

honestly I haven't thought too hard about the brake setup yet. if I cannot modify a stock linkage to work I don't think it will be too hard to bend some steel rod and weld washers as stops like the factory ones. what are you thinking about with the high/low? are you referring to the shifter lever? I think it will work in its stock location although I have thought of re-drilling the roll pin position and making the shifter move front to back to engage hi/low over the stock left to right.

Edited by prondzy

Terry M

Nice Mike!!!   Looks like those 8/6 speed Lawn rangers could be multiplying here in Minnesota...

(you may not know what I'm talking about yet)

prondzy

Well I managed to get a few hours in the garage this morning, have plans this afternoon so I thought I share what I have done this morning. Here is the start to mocking up the steering, I had to shorten the lower shaft because it came from a long frame.

post-8362-0-64098000-1416680833_thumb.jp

I measured the frame and used this steel collar to re-join the shaft I wont weld it until I have tie rods to make sure the upper and lower fans are lined up.

post-8362-0-77920200-1416681158_thumb.jp

Another shot

post-8362-0-08889800-1416681253_thumb.jp

Here is a shot of he modified gas tank stand. it started as a c1-60 dash complete with steering shaft. This is a rough cut, I still need to make final dimensions, but it gives you an idea.

post-8362-0-38731300-1416681400_thumb.jp

I started to plan the brake rod and have a pretty good idea of how I want to make it. Getting excited maybe ill get a chance to make the brake rod tomorrow.

post-8362-0-99316100-1416681778_thumb.jp

Edited by prondzy

groundhog47

honestly I haven't thought too hard about the brake setup yet. if I cannot modify a stock linkage to work I don't think it will be too hard to bend some steel rod and weld washers as stops like the factory ones. what are you thinking about with the high/low? are you referring to the shifter lever? I think it will work in its stock location although I have thought of re-drilling the roll pin position and making the shifter move front to back to engage hi/low over the stock left to right.

Yes, was wondering if interference with side box and hi/low lever. Redrilling roll pin, hum, sounds workable.  

Have seem another poster do the brake rod readjustment with reported success.

Very nice job on steer shaft length adjustment.

Edited by groundhog47

prondzy

there shouldn't be interference with the shifter or hi/low, my father has an 8 speed on a 1045 clone where he used a round hood tower and he didn't need to relocate the shifters they fit just fine. I did make a brake rod today without measurements and it came out too long so I need to shorten it, I will post pics when I am done

Edited by prondzy

groundhog47

there shouldn't be interference with the shifter or hi/low, my father has an 8 speed on a 1045 clone where he used a round hood tower and he didn't need to relocate the shifters they fit just fine. I did make a brake rod today without measurements and it came out too long so I need to shorten it, I will post pics when I am done

Great on the shift selector. Thanks for solving my first problem before it happened :greetings-clappingorange: .

Terry M

Nice work there Mike..can't wait to see it all come together .    :handgestures-thumbupright:

prondzy

Update I haven't had much time in the garage this week. But I did get my tierods in the mail so I had to try them out they are go cart tierods

post-8362-141727159815_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

prondzy

Got a little more fabrication time in the shop today, so I thought I'd tackle making the hood stand taller so I can clear the engine ( I mocked it up earlier and have some dimensions figured out. Because I am doing this build with parts laying around I am trying to use every available part so I don't waste or have to spend money (saving for the engine rebuild, going to be a fun one!) I decided to use the tail section of the tunnel that I cut off earlier because it was roughly the same dimensions as the top of the tower.

post-8362-0-55272100-1417655376_thumb.jp

I cut off about 5 inches figuring this would give me enough height

post-8362-0-51747900-1417655425_thumb.jp

After checking hood fitment I realized I needed to 45 these corners so I could make the hood sit right

post-8362-0-16862800-1417655525_thumb.jp

I added a thicker backplate because I have some ideas for a collar to support the steering shaft but I haven't decided anything yet so this gives me options

post-8362-0-74259900-1417655709_thumb.jp

post-8362-0-39411600-1417655902_thumb.jp

I welded this to the gas tank support I cut up earlier in this post, and took some thin sheet metal and made some tins to follow the profile of the tank support, it kind of looks like a smaller gas tank from the side profile

post-8362-0-61211900-1417655965_thumb.jp

Here it is sitting on top of the tower I need to make something to cover or fill the gap between the tower and the new extension hopefully something will come to mind so it looks like it could have come from the factory.

post-8362-0-43677300-1417656258_thumb.jp

post-8362-0-45789700-1417656279_thumb.jp

well I'm not a metal fabricator, things could have been done cleaner, but it was fun, needs a little bondo and some grinding to clean it up.

hope you enjoy it!

• Like 1

Stigian

You say your not a metal fabricator, but you seem to be having no problems with your metal fabrication, and you enjoying it :D

A great build, keep the updates coming :thumbs:

prondzy

Well I got the brake system mocked up today pretty happy with the way it turned out. you can kinda see how much I need to put in this short frame and why I moved the tower as far back as I could.

post-8362-0-77756600-1417998075_thumb.jp

I also decided to start working on the toolbox as it needed a little attention.

post-8362-0-50599700-1417998578_thumb.jp

I thought about trying to fix the ones that were there in bad shape and recreate the missing one, but to get them to match would be difficult and the opportunity to make them stronger with four new ones sounded nice.

post-8362-0-78244400-1417998777_thumb.jp

I drilled out the spot welds to remove the old supports and have filled them back in. The box was in rough shape after I threw it in the media blaster. the prototype supports were made out of 1/8" X 1 1/4 angle, it is a little narrower than the factory ones might try to make them out of larger angle iron.

• Like 1

prondzy

I changed plans, the original plan was to use a ranger L-155 style hood but looking at the amount of modification needed will be above my skill level to make it look "factory". I grabbed a tank from another project and the hood from my 62 lawn ranger just to test fit and this is what i came up with, I like it a lot! and the 14hp is too big to fit the carb under the hood so to make this problem work i moved the engine back and i put the battery in front of the engine. this solves fitting the carb and air cleaner issue.  I have hood pieces laying around and i will be making the grill taller and the hood longer to make sure i meet the frame like factory and i need to make an extension for the tower so the tank sits at the correct level.

post-8362-0-90856000-1418603266_thumb.jp

Took a small break on the heavy modification and worked on a few "small" things, checked the brushes in the starter, re-wired the stator the old wires were in terrible shape

post-8362-0-84790600-1418603443_thumb.jp

I cleaned the windings with electric motor cleaner and soldered on new wires to the stator, I used 10g wire ( i know overkill) but hey I'm building this tractor to be "super" right?

post-8362-0-62486300-1418603599_thumb.jp

and then i wrapped the two wires in 5/16" shrink wrap to hold the together and added new spade terminals (sorry no pics of that)

• Like 6

Horse'n Around

What a cool idea. Its looking great  !

prondzy

Made some progress in the shop today :woohoo:  After some careful thinking this week I found the perfect solution for my tower extension, I took another hood stand that was busted up and used the top 3 1/4". I flipped it upside down so it would match up my tower and this way the tower comes back to the driver so the engine doesn't loose space (cant afford that!). I now need to drill holes for the gas tank mounting tabs.

post-8362-0-58332700-1419120829_thumb.jp

Here is an overall shot of the tractor so far. I got the fenders cleaned up today also. welded some cracks, did some straightening, and had to remove the word COW somebody welded on the fender (kind of wished I took a pic before removing).

post-8362-0-22638600-1419121019_thumb.jp

Next week looks busy, might not make it into the shop, but we'll see! ENJOY!

• Like 3

GT14

Looks great, have a Merry Christmas and keep the updates coming.

Molon_Labe

I'm really liking what you're doing with this project. Looking good :thumbs:

Edited by M_Bailey

prondzy

Worked on the hood today stretched the hood 3 1/4"  and stretched the grill by 5" to clear the 14hp kohler. Took some time to get it to fit the grill bars together, and it never seems to fail when you try to weld a pinhole shut it burns open to the size of a dime, got a little frustrated chasing holes so I called it quits for now. I have been wondering if anyone has used epoxy to fill these holes? ( this old rusty sheet metal is thin and burns out.) Hope you like it!

post-8362-0-56699100-1420416283_thumb.jp

and a pic of the grill

post-8362-0-18878000-1420416308_thumb.jp

953 nut

"​What Color is that!"  :text-lol: When my wife saw the post of your hood tower she couldn't believe her eyes, no one would paint a  :wh:  that color,would they?  :ROTF: 

Ironman

Great job on the build!!! I'll be following along on this one for sure!!!