55rj35jr

New to the Herd 551 original

AMC RULES

Nice. :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Has the exact same diamond treaded tires I passed on last weekend.   :angry-banghead:

• Like 1

stevebo

You and I have the same taste in our collection. I would much rather have a nice original patina machine that a show queen. A real nice machine for sure !!

• Like 2

slammer302

Very nice looks like flash back to the 60's

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

That is gorgeous just as she sits, great looking :wh: there.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

...excepting for the rear fenders being backwards.   :teasing-poke:

Geno

That's a relly nice one.  :text-+1:

neil

That's one of the best original suburbans that I have ever seen, don't restore it

• Like 2

Firpo701

Woohoo!!! Love it! I want one!! :-P

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I have to agree with Neil,,,,,, dont restore.

Glenn

KC9KAS

Very nice. I like it

Ken B

That is a wicked nice original Suburban. While it is always nice to see the restored tractors at the show's  nice originals are so friggin hard too find and I would certainly keep this one original! But at the end of the day you own it, so do as you wish and have some fun.

Edited by Ken B

Coadster32

Nice find for sure!! :handgestures-thumbupright: Looks great just the way it is. No need for anything but enjoyment. :icecream:

Sean Keys

Wow, that's a beautiful original machine. Where can I find a set of rear tires like that?

AJ_Thanatos

That  :wh:  is amazing! I have to get my hands on one! 

danjmah

A natural beauty!

Catmanii

Have to agree with the others, it's great just like it is. Wonderful little tractor.  :)

55rj35jr

Its staying as is that's my new challenge finding nice originals, to add to my restored tractor collection..

Wow, that's a beautiful original machine. Where can I find a set of rear tires like that?

looked a long time for those style tires there out there but not easy to find

Racinbob

That's as nice and as complete that I've seen. I agree with the others, leave it as is.

tsmall07

So, I've seen the term Suburban a lot around here. Is that the style with a lot of different models included?

Racinbob

Per their chart just the 1960 400 and 550 but the 61 and 62 brochure calls them Suburbans as well.

Edited by Racinbob

CasualObserver

So, I've seen the term Suburban a lot around here. Is that the style with a lot of different models included?

Well... it's commonly used to refer to the mid-engine 1960 and 1961 models, the 400/550 and 401/551.  Beyond that in a much more complicated fashion though... Wheel Horse used the term/name Suburban for several years.

Just the term "Suburban" refers to the fact that this was a tractor for the "Suburban households" that were gaining in popularity in that mid-50s era.  Expansion of housing into Suburban developments where people wanted their small patch of land with a lawn and a garden. Many people were losing interest in living in the "urban" city.  

In advertising, Wheel Horse started referring to the RJ-58/59 as a Suburban tractor sometime during production.

1959suburbanad.jpg1958Suburbanbrochure.jpg

Then, in the 1960 brochure, they named the tractors the Suburban 400 and Suburban 550 as shown in the brochure and on the manual.

1960suburbanbrochure.jpg1960manualcvr.jpg

1960suburbannew.jpg1960suburbanad.jpg

In 1961,  the manual cover removed the "Suburban" title, but the advertising literature still referred to them as Suburban tractors.

1961manualcvr.jpg1961suburbanbrochurepg.jpg

This is generally where collectors quit calling tractors suburbans... although interestingly if you look at the cover of the 1962 manual, they were still called Suburban Tractors!  They were still referred to as a "Suburban Tractor" in ads as well, but I think this was going back to the original reference to Suburbia itself.

1962manualcover.gif1962suburbanad.jpg

Even as late as the 1963 brochure they used the term, but I think clearly this was used as a general term.

1963Suburbanstarter.jpg

1963Suburbanlast.jpg

After that though, I don't recall seeing the term used.

• Like 7

CasualObserver

And not to ignore the OP... that is a beautiful looking 551!  It never ceases to amaze me that some of these things are found in that condition after 50+ years!  Congratulations on the score!  My 400 also has those old diamond turf tires... I love the look.

• Like 1

Shynon

Sure is a nice looking 551, original paint? WOW that looks nice. My 550 has same tires also have a set of spares.

Tom

• Like 1

tsmall07

So, what about this little guy:

Looks like the same style.