Ed Kennell

Commando 8 gets a cleaning

Ed Kennell

The 520H snow blower project is finished waiting for snow and the MTD 700 is cleaned and oiled and actually mowed the lawn Sat.

So, today was the Commando's turn.

This I what I started with.  It actually runs and drives.

IMG_3443.JPG

After about 2 hours, I had this.

IMG_3451.JPG

An hour later

IMG_3453.JPG

Some of the crud I found

IMG_3449.JPG

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3445.JPG

Wonder how long it's been since this horse saw some maintenance. Hard to believe it could actually run in this condition.

IMG_3446.JPG

• Like 6

AMC RULES

Poor thing.  :disgust: 

Good to see you showing it some  :wh: love Ed.   :banana-wrench:

• Like 2

speedyleedy

Looking forward to seeing it when its done !

Molon_Labe

Looks good to me! Figure the years into the equation, it's ahead of the curve.

Wishin4a416

Cant wait to see the progress Ed. Amazing what a power wash and degreaser will do. Keep us updated.

Racinbob

I liked your first post Ed then wondered why but I can't unlike something. That is some terrible abuse. I'm happy to see that it's in your hands and you'll take care of that gem. So...I think my like was justified :)

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

All that dirt was preserving it.

Glenn

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: I believe that's true.   :text-+1:

• Like 1

slammer302

Looks like a Walbro carburetor that's a little new for a commando 8

Ed Kennell

What carb should it have Slammer.     The engine numbers 30108D look correct for a 69 commando.  I guess the carb could have been changed, but it looks like  it has  45 year old dirt on it.

slammer302

I believe it should have a carter carb with adjustable high speed needle nothing the matter with the walbro carbs they work fine I'm using a couple and if its a commando 8 it is 68 made only one year I believe

Ed Kennell

What size Carter would fit on the K181?   I have a few #26s on the shelf.    I checked the M/N ...mine is 1-4831 which is a 1968. 

The Wheel Horse by years chart does show a 1969 Commando 8  M/N 1-4832 .

slammer302

It would be a #22

gwest_ca

What size Carter would fit on the K181?   I have a few #26s on the shelf.    I checked the M/N ...mine is 1-4831 which is a 1968. 

The Wheel Horse by years chart does show a 1969 Commando 8  M/N 1-4832 .

The 1969 Commando 8 models 1-4832 have been found in Europe with 11xxxx serial numbers indicating they were made in Belgium.

Garry

slammer302

I checked the two I have both were 1-4832 and they both have carter carbs5082204b83c5aedc00814d10c29b3afe.jpg

I Meant 1-4831

Ed Kennell

:thanks:  for the info Slammer.

Geno

You move pretty fast there Ed.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Ed Kennell

Actually it came apart petty easy.  The only problem I had was the  4- 1/4" Philips head screws in the flywheel screen. I had to grind the heads off to get it apart.  I did give all the bolts a shot of PB every time I walked by for the past few weeks. 

The only thing left are removing those dreaded hubs and the hitch pin.   That could require some blood and sweat.

Geno

Hitch pins can be easy if you have a little time to wait.  If you don't mind a few holes in the rearend casing you can drill a couple of 1/8" holes in the center of the pin on each side of the casing untill you hit the pin, then soak it a few times a day for a few days.  :)

• Like 1

Trouty56

Actually it came apart petty easy.  The only problem I had was the  4- 1/4" Philips head screws in the flywheel screen. I had to grind the heads off to get it apart.  I did give all the bolts a shot of PB every time I walked by for the past few weeks. 

The only thing left are removing those dreaded hubs and the hitch pin.   That could require some blood and sweat.

I did it this way...might work for you too......

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Thanks Geno, I'll drill the lube holes today. That's also a good idea for preventing pins from freezing up. After I get the pin out, I'll drill and tap it for a grease zerk.

If it won't budge after the soak, I will go to the saw and drill step.   I like the pull idea Bob.  I was able to free the hitch from the pin yesterday with PB and a 20" bar in the slot hitch, so it won't be a problem getting the two pin pieces out of the slot hitch.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Hard to believe it could actually run in this condition.

Helps me understand why it's ok to completely paint every part of a tractor regardless of moving or not.  That's some hardy buildup!

ericj

Ed, i made my own hub puller out of an old hub and 3/4 threaded rod. so far so good, i pulled 3 hubs with out any problems. i have extra rod left over if you or anybody is interested pm me. good luck

eric j 

Ed Kennell

Got the holes drilled Geno ....now I'll let-er soak for a few days.  If it won't move till Monday, we'll goto Bob's saw and drill plan.

post-7208-0-70703200-1411009821_thumb.jp

Wow, there was a Kohler under all that crud..and it is a Walbro carb Slammer.

post-7208-0-77204700-1411009802_thumb.jp

Thanks Eric, but I have a puller I made from a piece of plate.

• Like 3

Geno

Looking good!  What's next?   :text-woo: