McMOPAR

What year is my Wheel Horse?

McMOPAR

Hi guys, I’m new to the Wheel Horse Forums. I just purchased a tractor I grew up with as a kid, and have been searching for a long time. Just to give you guys a little history, my childhood friend’s dad bought this tractor for him (about 25 years ago now) in rough condition for a father son project. I can’t remember how rough it was when they got it, I only remember it in its restored condition. We had a lot of fun with it through the years, and finally lost interest in it in our high school years when his dad eventually sold it and it disappeared. Through the years I often wondered where it went and if I would ever see it again. Two years ago I had a baby boy and a year later another baby boy, which got me thinking about the wheel horse again. I thought if I could find it, it would be a great father son restoration project for us too. This past summer I got my first lead, I was told it sold to a guy not too far from where we live so I went for a drive to see if he still had it or if he sold it, to who and when. When I asked him about it he had to think about it for a minute, and finally he said well I don’t remember selling it so it must be up in the barn. Perfect I thought, that was just the answer I was looking for. After digging through tons of junk in his barn we finally found it, and four implements that I had totally forgotten about. I quickly realized it had taken quit a beating in the last 18 years since I had seen it last. The paint is all faded, decals are gone, the engine was sitting beside it on the floor. But on the positive side, the sheet metal was all straight and mostly rust free. The tires although flat, still looked to be in good shape. So I made him an offer of $200, and he said he couldn’t let it go that low, so I sent up $50 and he said make it an even $300 and you have deal. So I picked it up the next day, and brought it home where my friend and I grew up riding it as young boys. My dad couldn’t believe I actually found it, and also couldn’t believe it was the same tractor because just like me he remembered it fully restored with bright red and white paint. So I’ve looked it over and figured out what needs to be done to bring it back to its former glory, the only thing I can’t figure out and was hoping you guys could help me out with is the year and model. It doesn’t have a serial number on the tractor or transmission anywhere, but it does on the engine. It says Kohler K 91 Model No (T), Ser No (403823), Spec No (31307A). So I was hoping someone could shed some light on this as to whether it’s an early or late model tractor? As far as the restoration goes, he said the motor used to smoke, so probably a whole engine rebuild there. The transmission feels like its stuck in neutral and won’t go into any the gears, but when you go to move it, it feels like it is in gear? Plus it looks like it had a bad leak, so transmission rebuild? Other than that, primer, paint and decals should bring this thing back to life. I’ve always been a bit of a Gravely guy myself, here is a video of my Gravely 816 restoration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wt12rhFYEM  But I’ve always liked the Wheel Horse RJ’s too, and since I grew up with this one, what better restoration project to complete with my two boys in a few years when they’re old enough to help… I’ve attached some pics, so if you guys could have a look and help me figure out what year this thing is I would really appreciate it!

It seems my pictures are too big, so I will work on making them smaller and getting them posted...

Edited by McMOPAR
  • Like 2

Molon_Labe

First :WRS: and without pictures it's hard to say but if it's original it could be an RJ-58

Racinbob

:text-welcomewave: What a neat story. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and progress.

AMC RULES

Looks like this one maybe?

:WRS: 

Geno

Hello and :WRS:   Cool story, can't wait to see some pics.  

gwest_ca

Toro does not recognize the K91-31307 but Kohler made it for Wheel Horse.

Garry

McMOPAR

Here are some pics...

post-13900-0-32003100-1410799530_thumb.j

post-13900-0-93283200-1410799532_thumb.j

post-13900-0-65947500-1410799535_thumb.j

post-13900-0-60137000-1410799538_thumb.j

post-13900-0-97474300-1410799540_thumb.j

• Like 3

Racinbob

Wow! Very nice. You did good.

speedyleedy

Looks like a 1958 rj58

Wayne

oh, cool! love round hoods :)  :text-welcomewave:

Geno

Very, very nice!  :text-woo:

KC9KAS

:WRS:  Glad you found the tractor you were so fond of as a youth!

You made out pretty good with all the attachments. Thanks for the photos.

McMOPAR

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long but I finally finished restoring the RJ this past summer and wanted to share some pics.

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1926.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

dells68

Very nice looking machine.  Excellent job!

• Like 1

WHX??

Nice that a keeper!  ...What was wrong with the original motor that it couldn't be saved?