johnpopio

520H. Broken frame. Not at the rear trans. Plate

johnpopio

My 540H has been re powered with a Honda V twin. I flat wore out the onan. I had to rebuild the center console this spring. After a hard working summer powering the 60inch heavy mower deck, I find the frame Has cracked a few inches Behring the engine mounting plate at the station where the floor board front mounting bar is welded to the frame. After 20years of blowing snow and powering the HD 60" deck I noticed a "sag". Engine is out do I repair or replace. Has anyone had success with repairs at this frame location?

Bert

My 520 isn't broke but has a stress crack in the same spot, also has a 60" deck. Before it breaks I'm gonna swap to another frame, frames can be found cheap and the extra plate at the trans mount is easy to make. After mine is replaced I'm gonna use the old frame as a jig and attempt to come up with some type of long term fix (not that 20 years per frame isn't good) but i wanna fix it and not ever worry again. 

Not sure if that helps but i think a good frame with some reinforcements is the way to go.

• Like 1

Wayne

is it a "normal" angle iron frame?  if so you could make a fish plate, bolt a 2nd piece of angle outside or inside the original and off set the bolts. just make sure you use enough length to get at least 3 off set bolts on each flat, on both sides fo strength and rgidity. If looks are important to you, or if there isn't enough space for that, you probably will have to replace  the frame rail.

Molon_Labe

My 540H has been re powered with a Honda V twin. I flat wore out the onan. I had to rebuild the center console this spring. After a hard working summer powering the 60inch heavy mower deck, I find the frame Has cracked a few inches Behring the engine mounting plate at the station where the floor board front mounting bar is welded to the frame. After 20years of blowing snow and powering the HD 60" deck I noticed a "sag". Engine is out do I repair or replace. Has anyone had success with repairs at this frame location?

:WRS: and a good welder should take care of what ails the 520. A gusset plate welded along the side of the frame wouldn't hurt either.

jimbo7921

Cracked my frame in the exact same spot on both sides. alls i did was jack the tractor a bit in the middle to make sure the crack was closed and square and then welded some rod underneath the bars to tie together and it was good to go.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

IMG_2495.jpg

Here is mine, it was repaired before it became mine.  There is a plate welded in on the bottom side as well.  I have intended to switch in another frame, but just havent got round to it yet.  Its worked fine as it is for 6 years now.

MalMac

That's a very common place for cracks to develop with tractors that use a 60" deck. Not saying that tractors could not crack there that do not use a 60" deck. That is or was a problem Toro ran into. There was a service bulletin on it but I can not find it.

Kegler

If the weld had been dressed down before painting you would never know it was there.