Pocketraisins

P220 Onan wont stay running without jumper cables

Pocketraisins

Hey all. I am worthless when it comes to electrical diagnosis but this should be "old hat" to some of you.

I tried to start the 96 520H and used the jump pack. Negative jump cable got really hot. It starged just fine but when the cables are taken off it dies.

I did switch out regulators with the one from my 416 and same deal. No charge and dies without fresh battery still.

Sounds like a new stator, correct? Everything else is fine except no run without donor battery and no charge either way. Thanks to all in advace.

Theroundhousernr

My first thought would be bad cells in the battery on the tractor or just a really really dead battery. Try charging the battery outside the tractor. The dead or shorted battery sounds like its putting a heavy strain on your jumper pack causing heat build up. Stator would be an easy check. Start it up and test the two white wires going to the RR with your meter on AC. Should read around 30 to 40 volts. I dont believe this is the case though. Dont run it to much if that battery is dead or shorted. Could get hot and leak out. Or fry the stator or the RR 

See if it takes a charge outside the tractor then put it back in and test if it charges. Should read between 13.6 to 14.4 DC depending on RPM of engine.

Pocketraisins

Thanks a million. I was going to get a new battery today just to eliminate one link in the chain and I know it is about due for a new one. I can use it on either my 416 or the 520.

It had me concerned since it was only showing 10v on the charging meter on the dash. I immediately thought "rectifier" but when it wouldn't stay running without the cables or jump pack, I thought stator.

Once I get it running under its own battery, I will do the electrical tests on the rectifier to make sure its getting the proper respective AC/DC voltages. Maybe I will get lucky for once, lol! 

Pocketraisins

Well. I got new battery in. Starts and runs fine but now no dash lights/gauges and dont know if its charging or not.

I tested the RR and got 12.6v at the battery. 0.00 on the other tests at the rr B terminal to ground and chassis to B.

Do I test the stator on AC while runnig? I dont want to fry anything not alredy toasted. If AC is present and regulator is replaced where do I go next?

gwest_ca

One test you should do

Engine not running and key off. - Check the voltage across the battery terminals. Now move the red test lead to the DC+ on the voltage regulator. You should have the same reading. If not follow the path back to the fuses and then on to the battery to find the problem.

This is the path the charge current takes to get to the battery.

Garry

• Like 3

Pocketraisins

Well, I got it charging. After a fuse that blew but looked normal and a new rectifier MOST is good now. Now to get the fuel gauge, RPM and all back into shape. Fuel gauge isn't that important to me and neither is the RPM gauge. As long as it is charging I am pretty happy.

I am going to change out a few connections on the rectifier. Some look pretty cruddy. Im not going to take any more chances.

Pocketraisins

I don't know what I did, but everything works now with the exception of the test light panel. Headlights, fuel gauge, RPM, charging meter etc... work fine. I even got the blower on and working.

Now I am prepared...until something breaks again, lol!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions friends. I appreciate it greatly!

I did make a big mistake in my first post on this though. My 520H is an 1988 and not a 1996. I got my 416 and 520 mixed up. It could have been a big difference in the wiring if I was trying to trace and grab the right color wire and splice to the wrong connection. I guess the devil IS in the details.  :happy-bouncyredfire:  :angry-fire:  :twisted: 

Edited by Pocketraisins

Pocketraisins

Great! NOW I have a parasitic drain on the battery. I went to start it and test the snow thrower flap kit I installed and it wouldn't even click!

Im starting to love hating (or is that hate loving) this thing. I just want a working, running, moving, charging and steering tractor. Is that too much to ask?????? :snooty:  :deadhorse:  :laughing-rofl: 

• Like 1