RedRider

Vintage Batteries

RedRider

I'm working on restoring a couple of 1960's era Wheel Horse tractors to their original condition.  One of the tractors will need a battery, which is listed as part number 7778 in the manual.  I did a search, but didn't come up with much info for this original battery (just cross references for new batteries). I realize that finding an original battering is probably impossible, but I was thinking about trying to find some pictures of originals and attempt to duplicate the decals or any marks to try and make a modern battery look more like an original.  

My questions in regards to the batteries are:

A) Did Wheel Horse provide a battery with the new tractors or was it up to the dealers to provide them?

B) If batteries were shipped with the tractors, were they a Wheel Horse branded battery or was there another preferred brand used by the company?

C) Does anyone have any photos of original Wheel Horse tractor batteries from the late 1960's?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Seth

Edited by RedRider

Martin

heres a pic of an original......

post-4321-0-74954100-1410141821_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin

CasualObserver

That's a really close match Craig.  Now can you find it in the original Prestolite brand?

CasualObserver

I'm working on restoring a couple of 1960's era Wheel Horse tractors to their original condition.  One of the tractors will need a battery, which is listed as part number 7778 in the manual.  I did a search, but didn't come up with much info for this original battery (just cross references for new batteries). I realize that finding an original battering is probably impossible, but I was thinking about trying to find some pictures of originals and attempt to duplicate the decals or any marks to try and make a modern battery look more like an original.  

My questions in regards to the batteries are:

A) Did Wheel Horse provide a battery with the new tractors or was it up to the dealers to provide them?

B) If batteries were shipped with the tractors, were they a Wheel Horse branded battery or was there another preferred brand used by the company?

C) Does anyone have any photos of original Wheel Horse tractor batteries from the late 1960's?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Seth

Late 60s batteries were Prestolite and shipped with the tractor.  These images are of an NOS 1968 Raider 10 sold at auction a few years ago.

It was found in the original crate.

NOSRaider.jpg

NOSRaider2.jpg

68Raider10b.jpg

Martin

I've looked in the past at many battery restoration sites and the biggest hurdle for me was to get over the $ amount for these batteries. For me I would rather buy something say from napa in the size i need, rip all the decals of it and get Terry to make something "period correct".......

It won't have the red caps or proper case, but I saved a bunch of money to be able to buy other red stuff.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Agreed, the price is crazy. 

Maybe Terry could fab up some Prestolite decals...

then we could ask Glenn could do up some covers with red caps for the top too. 

OH Yeah...remembered these on the drive home from work today. 

http://www.batterytoppers.com/products/

Edited by AMC RULES

CasualObserver

Wow... I think even those are a little crazy priced!  

It never even dawned on me that there would be someone reproducing batteries in the original style cases.  I suppose though... both of you (Craig and Martin) being car enthusiasts, you've probably known about this for a while.  Pretty cool little detail part if you are after the truest representation of originality.

I agree though, that for the majority of us Wheel Horse guys, at that kind of price, it's absolutely ridiculous.  However.... if someone only had one tractor and no room for another or something, I could totally see spending more money on making a "perfect" restoration. People do it all the time in other hobbies.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Not by much, but...    :confusion-shrug:

a quick "battery topper" search on Ebay...

shows that they can be found for a bit cheaper than the manufacturer offers. 

RedRider

Thanks for the responses, especially Martin and Casual Observer for the pictures.  I too am in the  muscle car crowd and bought one of the reproduction original batteries for my Mopar.  Originally I was just thinking of redecalling a modern battery, but I may try and find a repro battery or original now that I know what I'm looking for.