Navig8r

Tire chain installation/fit

Navig8r

So I've never used chains, but I have a set, new in the box, but old, of the correct size, 4-link, for my 416-H

I went to put them on for some extra traction for pulling chores around the yard....

How loose should they be without using anything to snug them?  I put them on and they were really loose!

Tires are fully inflated, so I'm not too sure whether they are the right chains, or maybe mis-packaged?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

KC9KAS

I usually let a little air out of the tires and get the chains tight, then air the tires back to pressure making the chains really snug.

With use, chains will stretch...especially new ones.

When mine start getting loose, I use a couple of short tarp straps to keep them tight.

I keep them tight enough that they don't "sing" while driving.

bowtieguy

Really loose????......better take KS's advise or they will wipe out the plastic fan that cools your hyro (inside near right wheel)..new fan will cost more than rubber straps!!...just sayin'.....or ask me how I know! :scratchead:

• Like 1

Navig8r

Rally loose!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

post-12383-140939941559_thumb.jpg

AMC RULES

Just need a bungee to take up the slack. 

Edited by AMC RULES

Navig8r

Just need a bungee to take up the slack. 

So that's cool then?  I guess they can move around a bit, but the bungee will keep the slack from slinging about, wrecking stuff?

Hossenfeffa

The other variable in the equation is that not all tires that are supposed to be the same size are. That is to say, a 23x10.5x12 from one manufacturer, will differ in actual size from another manufacturer. Same with the chains!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Also, you can customize the fit of your chains with a simple tire chain tool. 

You can find 'em cheap, all over ebay. 

Different sizes available...typically, this is how they work. 

shallowwatersailor

The other variable in the equation is that not all tires that are supposed to be the same size are. That is to say, a 23x10.5x12 from one manufacturer, will differ in actual size from another manufacturer. Same with the chains!

This is true! I have a set of rubber chains for 23X10.50-12 tires that I cinch up three links on Titan turfs and just cinch them on Kenda turfs. They are the same sized tires but the Kenda tire is about one inch taller.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

Bach-Ed

Years ago (late 1960s) my father decided WH chains were too expensive.  He got a set of VW bug chains(the original bug) at Warshawski's and they were a good fit (after we shortened them).  And they were a lot cheaper.  So creative persons might want to find alternative sources