Geno

What are the best tires for snow removal?

Geno

There's another thread on here talking about tires used in snow removal, Mike (Sparky) mentioned that the turf tires work better. That threw me for a loop but you guys know better than me, I haven't used any of this equipment yet.  :eusa-think:  

I have a steep hill that comes up to my place and I have chains but I would rather not use them if possible,(unless there is ice underneath I will have no choice). The drive and lot is all blacktop.  I will be puting a snow blower on one tractor and a plow on another.  I also have a few sets of 50lb each weights, and some 20lb each front weights.  What have you guys found to be the best combination to use?   :thanks:

Sparky

I'm using these with 50# outside weights and 25# inside weights and no chains. I have a slight angle on my driveway and this combo works great!

The tires are 4 ply (and only come that way) but I have found that a 2 ply turf will give the best traction (keep the air pressure low).

They are 23 x 10.5's mounted on a pair of wide rims from a 520.

Mike.......

post-2-0-43192100-1408670028_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-50694800-1408670039_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-05641000-1408670076_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Forest Road

You won't find anything better than chains. Perhaps you should try rubber tire chains.

http://www.rubbertirechains.com/

Several members have tried them. Hopefully they chime in.

• Like 4

AJ_Thanatos

I'm using these with 50# outside weights and 25# inside weights and no chains. I have a slight angle on my driveway and this combo works great!

The tires are 4 ply (and only come that way) but I have found that a 2 ply turf will give the best traction (keep the air pressure low).

They are 23 x 10.5's mounted on a pair of wide rims from a 520.

Mike.......

attachicon.gifTires2.jpg

attachicon.gifTires3.jpg

attachicon.gifRear weights.jpg

@Sparky, Where does one find weights like that? I'm very new to the addiction and would like to get a set like that before the snow fall this year? 

flyovrcntry

Whatever tires you use will probably require chains unless you have a flat area, and then you will need a lot of weight if not chains.

post-3821-0-52424000-1408677070_thumb.jp

• Like 1

cheesegrader

The snow removal team this year:

520 FEL with loaded ags plus inside and outside weights on the rear (#350 in total), plus a weight box on the rear hitch when needed.

520 with a 2-stage snowblower(#320) with a steel cab (#400) on tri-rib fronts and turftires/chains on the rear

520 with a plow, #50 front weights, #180 rear weights, turftires and chains.

The turf/chain combo gives me by far the best traction.  The ags are useless once it ices.

I would use rubber chains on concrete/blactop, but I am clearing gravel roads, so I don't care about leaving marks.

I'm really looking forward to steering improvements with the tri-ribs.  The heavy blower makes steering with the front turfs nearly impossible.

• Like 1

squonk

Sparky's weights are Farmall Cub front/ Cub Cadet rear weights. I fill my tires for winter duty with RV antifreeze along with weights and chains

• Like 2

nhunt308

e3yja3yp.jpg

I can push 8+ inches with these

With no problem at all

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Gene. My driveway has a good steep hill to. Here is how the 416 gets set up. Imho you WILL need chains. Sorry. I also have the stock turf tires. 70lb. Weights on the rear. Unstoppable. Just like the movie. Before I had chains. Got lucky ONCE. After that the tractor wouldn't budge. There's your snowblower in action. If your afraid of ring the paving I would try the rubber chains. I want a pair myself. Best of luck.

Glenn

post-12073-0-34010200-1408707797_thumb.jpost-12073-0-46501300-1408707836_thumb.jpost-12073-0-66965300-1408707869_thumb.jpost-12073-0-79448800-1408707950_thumb.jpost-12073-0-20661200-1408708028_thumb.jpost-12073-0-86906500-1408708108_thumb.j

• Like 3

Forest Road

I run 200-300 lbs in this. Any extra weight is good weight!

E7368063-489A-47B1-9880-243167074216-688

• Like 4

RMCIII

I run 200-300 lbs in this. Any extra weight is good weight!

E7368063-489A-47B1-9880-243167074216-688

Where does one find such an awesome chipper shredder? I have been looking. I knew they made them for other models, but had not seen one yet for a WH.... Is it a Mac chipper?

Rob

Geno

I just bought a 417A with these weights on the rear.  Does anyone know what weight they would be each?

post-13404-0-50315400-1408716856_thumb.j

Sparky

Those are usually around 50#'s each.

Mike..........

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

I just bought a 417A with these weights on the rear.  Does anyone know what weight they would be each?

Geno,??? Is that a C-100 of to the left in your garage?  :eusa-think:  :happy-jumpeveryone:

Edited by Thanatos

Geno

Close, it's a 75 B100 Auto. 

RMCIII

I'm going out on a limb here and this is just my opinion, but i would think that the absolute best tires would be ROUND TIRES!!!! :laughing-rofl:  :ychain:  :eusa-think:  :laughing-rolling:

Edited by RMCIII
  • Like 3

AJ_Thanatos

Close, it's a 75 B100 Auto. 

Ahhh... Im getting better! Just one week ago I wouldn't have been able to tell you who made it!  :eusa-think:

However it looks identical to my 74 C-100 8-speed

Edited by Thanatos

Geno

I'm going out on a limb here and this is just my opinion, but i would think that the absolute best tires would be ROUND TIRES!!!! :laughing-rofl:  :ychain:  :eusa-think:  :laughing-rolling:

:huh:   

Ahhh... Im getting better! Just one week ago I wouldn't have been able to tell you who made it!  :eusa-think:

However it looks identical to my 74 C-100 8-speed

:eusa-clap:   There's a lot to take in with all the models they made. 

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

:huh:

:eusa-clap: There's a lot to take in with all the models they made.

Oh dear... I am up to three now.. This truly has no end in sight![emoji14]
  • Like 1

Geno

3?  :scared-eek:

What's the 3rd one?  :)

AJ_Thanatos

3?  :scared-eek:

What's the 3rd one?  :)

I will post a picture in my thread here: 

• Like 1

Geno

Is there a preference for front tires also?   

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

Is there a preference for front tires also?

Outstanding question, Geno[emoji6]
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger

The rubber tire chains on my 1975 B-80 do a great job.   I have weights on the back and a 42 inch snow plow up front!

post-339-0-56774500-1409368759_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

aaubrey96

I now have to find chains for my new 25 inch tires but I'm not sure if they will clear my fenders, are the rubber chains any thinner? Do they still hook into ice like a chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk