608KEB

Starter stays engaged

608KEB

I went to start my 75 C-120 and it was dead. I thought the battery was dead. I put a different battery in. When I was hooking up the positive, the tractor started turning over. It ran fine last time I used it. Suggestions? :scratchead:

Racinbob

If nothing else was changed it sounds like you have a bad solenoid. Pretty odd though. Maybe something shorted and the power is constantly on at the S terminal? I would pull the cable off on the starter to troubleshoot it.

Edited by Racinbob

squonk

Pull the small wire off the solenoid to see if it has power with the key off. If it does go to the switch and check the wires. A mouse could have gotten into it and chewed through some of the wires also.

• Like 2

608KEB

I cleaned the connections to the solenoid. Cleaned the positive battery cable and the small wire too. It started right up! I'm confused as to what the problem was.

608KEB

Another problem with the C-120. The ammeter gauge won't move. I noticed one of the wires running to it got really hot. Also I had to shake one of the wires to the rectifier to get it to start. Do I need a new ammeter gauage? I'll clean the contacts to both pieces.

Save Old Iron

If you disassemble the starter relay

R86IMG_1124.jpg

R86IMG_1139.jpg

you will most likely find the contacts severly pitted

R86IMG_1135.jpg

pittingofcontacts.jpg

R86IMG_1131.jpg

pitted contacts may temporarily "weld" together.

• Like 2

Geno

Another problem with the C-120. The ammeter gauge won't move. I noticed one of the wires running to it got really hot. Also I had to shake one of the wires to the rectifier to get it to start. Do I need a new ammeter gauage? I'll clean the contacts to both pieces.

Hot connections are bad connections most of the time.  :)

• Like 1

608KEB

I have no spark. Lights don't work, won't turn over nothing. I changed the amp meter, changed the starter relay. changed the battery. Cleaned and checked connections. Still won't turn over. Turned over last night. I'm confused :laughing-rofl: Does it matter which way the starter relay is hooked up + or -. What do I have to bypass to see if it will turn over. Also the wire that was getting hot before was the one that was running from the amp meter to the starter relay. I gotta run for now. But hopefully I can look at it again tonight.

Edited by 608KEB

gwest_ca

If you are going to leave this unattended I would disconnect the negative battery cable and isolate it. Hate to see something go wrong when you are not with it.

Garry

• Like 1

608KEB

Found the problem, The replacement amp meter gauge also had a loose connection. It's good to go now! :woohoo:

Geno

One thing I've learned over the years, new does not mean good.  Bad parts are the main reason I semi-retired last year.  When you do this for a living it stinks to do the same job 2 or 3 times before it even leaves the shop and get paid for doing it once.    :eusa-doh:  

• Like 1

608KEB

I am really stumped. I went to start the C-120 and nothing. The battery is good. I disconnected the positive lead. I'm charging battery now. Any suggestions? :no: I also started it 3 times last night. Maybe an hour after cutting grass.

Edited by 608KEB

Geno

Recheck what you've already checked, especially the amp gauge connections.    :)

608KEB

I had a senior moment at 50. It works fine. Thanks Geno. :happy-jumpeveryone:

Geno

It does say "Senior Member" above your avatar, you should change that.   :laughing-rolling:  

• Like 1