Mgbchuck

Mowing deck height

Mgbchuck

Howdy...... I have a horse.... 312-8 ..... With a 42 inch deck. Just got this beauty last Fall...... In super condition. The mower mows well...... But I have the deck set to the highest setting..... And the blades are only 2 inches off the ground. I am on the last hole of height adjustment....... Any ideas????

Oh...... I did buy new wheels for the deck ..... The others were a little worn..... But not that bad.

Thanks.... Chuck Lyons. Akron Ohio

cleat

I do find that both of my decks 42 and 60 cut fairly low. My Ford LGT165 with a 42" deck I run in the center to one notch below center. My Wheel horse decks I run in the top or one hole down from the top on very level ground.

Decks are leveled properly, just cut low.

Just the nature of them I guess.

Cleat

tunahead72

It is kind of the nature of Wheel Horse decks to cut lower than most people are accustomed to.  I know there are some other threads that have addressed this topic over the years, you might try a search to get more information.

When you say you replaced the wheels, are you talking about the two wheels at the rear of the deck?  Do you have an owner's manual for the deck, and are you sure it's installed and adjusted properly?  Photos might help us see any possible problems.

In a pinch, you can mow with the deck raised in the "transport" position.  I do that a lot, especially when the grass is really high (which it is most of the time :) ).  Even when I have the deck lowered, I'm almost always in the highest position on the quadrant.

Edited by tunahead72

Hydro

That's always been an issue for me too.  There is a method of shimming the guide wheels but I don't believe it adds that much.  I would like another inch in my cutting height.  I've been thinking about larger guide wheels for the deck.

doc724

On my 314 with 42 inch deck, with the deck set to the highest setting, I am 3 inches off the ground (measured from a hard surface, like a garage floor).  There are a few of things that will impact cutting height;  1)  Deck not leveled properly 2)  Deck wheels (the ones in the back) worn and 3) not enough air in the tractor tires.  My deck in P/N 78345.  I would also caution you about cutting with the deck in the transport position.  Although it can be done, the rocking of the deck side to side will eventually wear grooves into the attachment bar where it fits into the mid hitch.  Also the jaws of the mid hitch will get worn as well.  None of these parts are hardened.

tunahead72

I would also caution you about cutting with the deck in the transport position.  Although it can be done, the rocking of the deck side to side will eventually wear grooves into the attachment bar where it fits into the mid hitch.  Also the jaws of the mid hitch will get worn as well.  None of these parts are hardened.

Good point, Don.  I've probably overdone it over the years, because I do have some wear on the mounting assemblies on both my decks, I just never thought to attribute that wear to mowing with the deck up.  On the other hand, my oldest deck has so far lasted 28 years without falling apart on me, and still mows well.  Good thing these old Wheel Horses were engineered and built so well!

Mgbchuck

Howdy............ I would like to thank everyone for the information.  I am not sure I can find the ID number on my deck......but I will check.  I did everything that Doc 724 recommended.  I put two new wheels on the back of the deck......and checked to make sure my tires were inflated properly. The only way I can get it higher is to tighten up the adjustment rod.... but that only make it higher on the one side and will not mow evenly.  If I adjust it down to where both blades are even on the level concrete....my blades are 2 inches off the ground.  I also thought about the idea of bigger wheels on back................ but do they even make wheels that would work? 

Anyway.............I appreciate everyone's input.

Chuck 

doc724

Hello Chuck,

Tightening the adjustment rod will pull the front of the deck up.  It does nothing for side to side.  It is almost impossible to measure (like with a tape measure) the distance between the bottom of the blade and a hard surface.  I have resorted to "go-no go" gage blocks made from a 2x4 in 1/8 inch increments.  Just slide them in and you will instantly know within 1/8 inch the blade height.  Also, check your operators manual.  On some of these decks there is two holes to put the adjustment rod into on the deck.  Only one is the correct one.  It is not obvious which one is correct.  Don't ask how I know this!

If you have to lower the adjustment nut to get both blades even on the ground, I suspect that the mower is not mounted correctly in the mid hitch.  On the bar that holds the deck to the tractor, these is a tab with a "v" notch in it.  That notch must engage the rod in the tach a matic.  Again see the operators manual.  If it is not engaged, the deck will not level properly.  I put mine back on the other day and was not paying attention and the notch did not properly engage.  I have had WH tractors since 1979-you would think I would know better!

123GO

I think some folks adjust the rubber bump stops thinking its side to side adjustments. They just keep deck from rocking around so much when decks fully raised.

There are 2 deck adjustment rods one on very rear of deck and other is the lift rod up inside the dash tower. Remove the lower dash panel to adjust this lift rod/nut for height. 

Make sure your deck stays in its raised position after adjusting main lift rod or It may not latch good to stay up if adjusted wrong.

Very old post I know, just thought Id ad that for future wh owners. No left to right adjustment Im aware of either.

Take care!

Edited by 123GO
  • Like 1