Crow Horse

HF Tire Station....

Crow Horse

I'm not quite sure if this post belongs in this forum so if not, moderators feel free to move it to the appropriate one......

I'm almost finished with a tire station I made using the Harbor Freight mini tire changer and the larger portable tire changer.  My requirement was that it could be hitch mounted as well as in the garage, and the mounts needed pivot points so that the changers would remain plumb as well as be solid.

This is what it morphed into and it works a treat. I did gusset the bead breaker and did some other tweaks.  All I need now is the No Mar dismount/mount tool.

post-1576-0-63059600-1407196887_thumb.jp

post-1576-0-41837300-1407197004_thumb.jp

Edited by Crow Horse
  • Like 2

smoreau

I have both of these and I must say for the price you pay for them, They work great!  I use the  little one in a vese, and the big one gets mounted to the steel drain cover in the shop when needed.

Crow Horse

They do work well and even better with some minor mods.  Can't beat the price especially if you use coupons.....

KC9KAS

Very good use of your vehicle hitch!

It looks as though you have threads inserted into the concrete floor and bolt it down while in the garage.

Crow Horse

What you are seeing was an attempt to "steady" the unit.  Crude adjusters to compensate for the distortion of the base plate from the welding.  I ditched them after I made the small platform....

leeave96

I've got that tire changer and the smaller one for doing front tires too. Got both on sale earlier in the spring for around $100. Also bought a few of their spoons - which I've needed.

Thus being the year from h#*l with tractor repairs, I've changed 4 front tires, 2 rear tires, 2 hay baler tires and have 4 more front tires and 2 rear tires to do.

The tire changer, IMHO, is ok, but not great. OTOH, it's hard to find anyone to do small tires around here so the tire changer is handy.

I've got it mounted on a 3' x 3' x 3/4 inch piece of plywood. My boys stand on it to keep it firmly on the ground.

Good luck,

Bill

Zeek

Never tried the big one, but I like your setup!  The sturdier, the better!

I only used the small one, but it works pretty good 

Crow Horse

Here are pics of some of the mods I made....

I used aluminum tubing on the center post to act as a bearing.  Haven't used it with this mod, but I feel it might be helpful......

I re-enforced the bead breaker both front and back......

I used plastic (strip of polyboard) where the rim sits for breaking the bead........

Used some threaded couplers so I can hang/store the "yellow thing"......

Cut some rubbing matting for the "seat".........

post-1576-0-38923600-1408291143_thumb.jp

post-1576-0-79745900-1408291168_thumb.jp

Crow Horse

More.......

post-1576-0-31961900-1408291257_thumb.jp

post-1576-0-74204100-1408291281_thumb.jp

post-1576-0-44446800-1408291330_thumb.jp

Crow Horse

Last one.......

I'll probably fab up a heavier "centering prop" when I can scavenge the proper materials......

post-1576-0-58677900-1408291412_thumb.jp

Edited by Crow Horse

Crow Horse

Here's probably the last mod I'll do (not promising that)......

I fabbed together a rotating tire spoon/dismount/mount bar tool holder from some aluminum tubing, capped one end using 3/4" plate aluminum.  It rotates on a 1/2" thick "washer" made from a slick type of plastic we use at work (but can't remember the type).  A 1/2" bolt secures it to the base and allows it to pivot.....

I pulled the trigger on the No Mar dismount/mount bar and it really is a work of art.  Haven't used it yet but it should make tire changing effortless.......

post-1576-0-08013400-1408793813_thumb.jp

post-1576-0-12944300-1408793848_thumb.jp

GT14

I have both changers and also the MC adapter. Use it mostly for MC and have saved and made money changing tires. Also have the both types of static balance's.