stevebo

Stevebo's Barn Build

stevebo

Geno-

He is concerned that the building could lift (OMG)... These knife plates will hold it down and also keep it from racking sideways... In my business of commercial roofing we run wind uplift calculations and design each roof and how it is to be installed but this is overkill IMO. 

• Like 1

Geno

You won't have to worry about tornados, hurricanes, or anything else for that matter.  You may have to rename it to the Wheel Horse Shelter.   :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

Don1977

That not over kill on design. You should see some of the footing sizes, rebar, and anchor bolts required on metal buildings. They are hiding the anchors by doing it that way. It will make it much nicer then metal straps on the exposed surface.

bmsgaffer

Engineering Overkill:

The sill plate on my house was nailed to the foundation instead of bolted (built 1975). One wall in the basement had shifted so we had a structural engineer out to give us a plan... wait for it:

Bolt a CONTINUOUS 6" x 6" x 3/8" structural angle around the entire house (bolt to every joist, anchor to wall every 16"). That would have been almost 2 TONS of steel to make up for a couple 1/2 in bolts. (and would have cost $20K). We had another engineer come in and design it in sections that reduced our cost to $1k and keep just as much strength.

I am an engineer (electrical) and can appreciate a little over-engineering as much as the next guy (look at those churches that were built in the 1700's)... but you have to know when to be smart about it.

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

stevebo

Brandon,

Well said.. 

I just called a meeting with the barn guy and the town zoning guy to confirm a few things in terms of the height restrictions. I am pretty sure we are good to go. There was a disconnect between the concrete plans and the barn plans. The corner posts were suppose to be longer and sit on the gable ends of the foundation and not the front and back. Yesterday morning the installer told me this so it was not a good day. No work was done when I expected to have the barn raising yesterday. After my meeting today I received a credit for the foundation plans ($500) and the extra 4 posts I keep to use on the back slab down the line if I install a shed roof off the back. I hope to also get the barn guy to provide me with the header I need to install it 14' x 36'. We shall see if they are back at it tomorrow, that is the plan...

• Like 1

km3h

This is very interesting to watch. Keep the photos coming. What a great project.

• Like 1

stevebo

Ok... New corner beams were cut and delivered to the house just about and hour ago. Men will be there tomorrow to start to install. End result the barn builder did the right thing IMO and will provide the uprights and header for the lean to shed roof if I so choose to do that in the future... Looking forward to seeing this barn finally start to go up. I have a few work related projects starting tomorrow so I will have to wait until later in the day to check the progress.

• Like 1

stevebo

Finally !! Barn started to go up today.....

post-734-0-76480300-1412292747_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-27130000-1412292758.jpg

post-734-0-82724600-1412292766.jpg

• Like 4

km3h

All good things come to those who wait....... Looking good.

Ken B

It won't be long now!

Fun Engineer

Looking good Steve.

Geno

Now it should really take off!  :text-woo:

KyBlue

Looking sharp! Can't wait to see the rest of it up

SALTYWRIGHT

VERY NICE STEVE. IT WILL GO UP NOW.   RUSS

stevebo

More progress today. This is where she stands as of now. Back at it on Monday. I helped out today. I was able to get my work stuff done early. Loving it for sure !!

post-734-0-80740800-1412379266_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-60021200-1412379299_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-74428200-1412379382_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-55603400-1412379628_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-86172700-1412379771_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-63226500-1412385367_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Geno

Now that's some real progress.  Thanks for putting up all the picks for us.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

km3h

That should last a thousand years. Wow that is really going to be something.

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: If the "survivor" shed is any indication...

this too, is going be a really neat  :wh: space.    :popcorn:  

post-3498-0-96464700-1412384585_thumb.jp

KyBlue

I just ... don't honestly know what to say ... that is going to be hands down ... AWESOME!  

I feel kinda shady about my shop now and its...pole barn construction .... heck yours looks nice enough be finished and lived in!!! 

Following along attentively

fireman

It is definitely going to be nice!

But I wouldn't want to pay that bill!  :hide:

• Like 3

Lars

Thats going to be an AWESOME barn Steve....

stevebo

Thank Lars. Here is the update as of today. I plan on working with them tomorrow and install the flooring on the upper level so they have a walk area to install the upper beams. 

post-734-0-65173000-1412642014_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Desko

Wow I've read through this whole post and wow this barn looks amazing with attention to detail and overkill but that is all a good thing in my book taking that extra time to get something right is worth it in the long run.

nhunt308

Very nice!! I am very very jealous I have been trying to figure out how to sneak a barn past the HOA here at the lake... if I could build one like that I bet they would go for it!

tunahead72

Timber frames are SO cool!

My favorite photo so far is the one with the green chair in the foreground, a prime spot for admiring the progress at the end of the day.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Travas
      By Travas
      Hello everone reading this. Im currently in the process of building a race mower out of a front engine 8-32 toro. It was sitting outside for the longest time because of a broken axle. It believe it has a vertiical 8 hp b&s that had running. Here is some some photos of it.  I put a bifferent transaxle in because it was spare one laying around. I put it on and it fits pretty well. Altho i had to remove all the clutch and shifter parts to get it in, but hey it works. I got a wheel on and tried getting the other off the axle it was on. So i put it in the press and tried for about a half hour before in popped loose. After that it took me about 15 mins and got it off. It was really  rusted on there! Put it on the transaxle to how it fits and looks. Now im in the process of drilling a hole the axle for the key in the wheels. Any suggestions or ideas? I will update this project when do some more work on it. 

• mmmmmdonuts
      By mmmmmdonuts
      I have approximately an 10x12 lean to shed attached to my house on the side of my side loading garage. I currently have a double door that is 6' wide by 6x10" high. The problem I am having is the door starting to fall apart. It is also framed very heavily with 2x6s. So I am currently looking to either do another double door or a garage door. Part of the reason the door is getting damaged in the first place is because water pools at the bottom of the door in the winter and freezes and I have to basically heat and or chisel the ice away. It is where I store my snowblower. 

My wife ruled out a sliding barn door and a roll up door mainly for appearance purposes.

I was starting to lean to a 8w x7h regular garage door but see a few cons. 

1) It would block the light when up. 
      2) I would lose quite of bit overhead storage and about 2 feet of wall space.
      3) There would be much more work reframing parts of the wall to fit the door.

Pros.
      1) I could fit my wheel horse plow and snowblower side by side. 
      2) Shouldn't freeze to the concrete as easily with a rubber seal. 
      3) Don't have to shovel out the doors to get the snowblower out. 

I was wondering what thoughts you guys had on and if I am missing something.

Thanks. 

• CasualObserver
      By CasualObserver
      I've been dreaming of a new shop space to work on tractors and generally store things at my house. We already had a three car garage on the house and could only fit one vehicle in it due to the large space that kids toys, bikes, zero turn mower, shelving and a workbench already occupied. Well.. that stuff and a few or so little garden tractors... but they don't take up that much space, right?   Anyway...  we'd been talking about building my dream shop for several years. We live on a large in-town parcel, so there's plenty of room, but as with most things, it comes down to when it can fit in the budget. I drew it up several times on the building designer at Menards dreaming of when we could go forward. Well, in the early 2017 we decided to go ahead with it, and I came up with my final layout plan.

We proceeded under the option of build the shell, and finish what we can later. We went over and over the list of things to do now and later. Things I wanted that had to be done now for sure were the rough in for the in-floor heat and the attic trusses. I had a contractor friend who would GC and frame it for me if I bought all the materials and he could do it on his own schedule. Yep, done. I figure I could have built it myself, but it would have taken most of the summer of every night and weekend, as well as the headaches of arranging the subs for the stuff I couldn't do, but if he could do it, and he has all the contacts/subs already... I'm money and time ahead to work some extra overtime and avoid the headaches.

The previous owners of our place had a gravel RV parking next to the house. The old poorly done timber walls were deteriorating and leaning with age.It was convenient for parking the trailer, and nice when the kids were little that we could park off the driveway so they could play, but every year inevitably it was always a weedy mess by mid-summer.

Step one, remove ugly timber wall.  Lucky for me my neighbor had an chainsaw with a garbage blade on it. He came over and we were able to cut the wall into 12 ft sections that we loaded on the trailer for the dump.

Next, met with our contractor friend to stake and mark it out. Since part of the goal was to reduce the amount of gravel, the equivalence of one car parking space was being removed and returned to grass on the left edge.

Then just before the excavator was to start work, the kids and I did a little groundbreaking for the big project.

Some gravel removed and sand base laid down and compacted.

Concrete guys laid the forms for me on a Friday night so I could lay the insulation and pex for the in-floor heat.

Like any kids, the call of the sand pile was irresistible.

Next day I had help to lay the insulation boards and pex. Might seem silly to see two people carrying these boards that weigh all of 2 lbs each... but notice all the pavers? I'd been hoping for good weather to do the insulation and pex..... what I got was great temperature, bright, sunny......and 25 mph sustained winds with 40-50 mph gusts. So.... two guys to carry each flippin' board and weight it down. Ugh.... made the process much longer.

Got the pex down, which went very smoothly. Three zones, stapled to the foam board.

Monday morning I get a call.... inspector won't pass it because there's no pressure test on the pex. Ugh. Nothing about that in our building code, but what am I going to do? Project can't go on without his initials. So... I build a pressure manifold, tie all three zones into one long line and charge it up.  Tues morning, concrete guys are onsite... inspector shows up and says ok.

By the time I get home from work, I have a new slab.  

Lumber pack shows up the day before the family and I are leaving for a week at the cabin. When I pulled out of driveway, construction was underway. We got a few progress pics through the weeks from various friends.

And I returned a week later to this.  Totally the best way to build a shop!  I was out of his way, he was out of mine... worked out perfectly.

I installed the overhead doors, had the electrician come and trench the electric over. Got the gas line roughed in for the boiler as well while the trench was open.

After that, the excavator came back with the final top dress for final grading.  

We bit the bullet and decided to go with sod right away. Even got the kids to help for a little while. Couple of neighbors (one of whom happens to be a professional landscaper) came over the chip in too, and three pallets later....

Now we're at slow progress time. I bought all the construction materials on a Menards 11% rebate, so once I got the rebate check I started to finish the interior. Got the vapor barrier up, and ceiling rocked with 12 foot 5/8" type x. 105 lbs each. Ugh. Thank God for drywall lifts, right!?

More rebate checks allowed for the insulation and rock for the walls.

Then we came to a complete standstill..... got enough stuff moved out of the house garage to get both the car and truck in for the winter, but with no heat and no ceiling insulation the shop was just a big storage box for winter.

Spring this year rolled around and prioritizing shop work made it to the list. I realized it's going to be much easier to get the interior done before I move in. So... started back at it. I got the floors masked off and got tape and mud done... then the girls helped me paint.

Did the floor with Rock Solid polycuramine kits from Menards... grey with flakes and a textured topcoat to make it less slippery if wet. This is a long and multi-stage process. First it required renting a diamond grinder and grinding off the curing sealer. Then powerwashing three times to remove all dust and debris.  The base coat went on, cured for a few days, and topcoated three days later. Then I let that cure for a week before moving in. It's supposed to be cured in 24 hours, but why rush it if not necessary?

Finally ready to move in.

Got some used kitchen cabinet take outs and installed them for the workshop area.

Really looking forward to getting stuff organized and cleaned up now.  It's totally a dream come true. Still have to buy and install the boiler and get the ceiling insulated... but those are things that can be worked around. Up until this point it's been much easier to have minimal stuff in the way.

If you made it all the way to the bottom, thanks for taking the time to read it.  Get more done, have more fun!!   

• Pullstart
      By Pullstart
      Pretty soon, the tractors will have a place for everything and everything in it’s place!

We put up another section of racking and it will allow for some custom pallets at 66” long and 44” wide to store tractors 3-wide in the racking.  The closest green upright is 9’ tall, it’ll be a shell for the buggy to rest on top of