Sign in to follow this  
hounddoghundzsa

RJ 58 transmission bearings

hounddoghundzsa

What are the benefits/purpose of open and closed bearings? I am in the middle of rebuilding my RJ and noticed that six of the bearings are the same size, but two of them are closed sided. I just plan on replacing all of them with timken S8k bearings....

stevasaurus

One difference is the S8K bearing is 5/16" thick...the closed bearing (NICE 412-35) is 3/8".  You should have 3 of the closed bearings in your trans...one on each end of your cluster gear shaft...one under the large part of your 11/44 tooth gear.  If you only have 2, then someone has been in that trans before and did what you want to do to one of the closed bearings.  Also, you should have 7 bearings...4 open and 3 closed.  (you may have the needle bearing or open ball bearing on your bake shaft).

If you are just going to ride the horse around and take it to shows, you can probably get away with all "open" S8K bearings.  I believe the "closed" bearing is a stronger bearing with less chance of wobble...I think that is why they are placed where the major stress and weight of the trans is.  If you are working this horse, open bearings in those locations may not hold up as well over time.  :)