whanna

Stubborn Wheel Horse Tire

whanna

I put a tube in my tire and I can't seem to get the tire on and seated again. I thought about heating it, would that be good or bad? Any other suggestions on how to get it back on?

Thanks

Forest Road

Just inflate the tube to maximum pressure to get the tire to seat. Then back off to your desired pressure.

Sparky

If the bead wont seat to the rim you may have to the lube the heck out of the bead area of both the tire and the rim with dishsoap.....then overfill it with air by 10-20 pounds and let it sit. This method worked for me a few years ago with a stubborn tine..

Mike............

• Like 1

pacer

Yeah, you'll have to over inflate it - almost always have to to do that, What mike said and lather some dish soap around both beads.

What I wanted to ad was a word of caution --- there will usually be a rather loud POP! :eek: :eek: when it decides to seat, so be prepared for that...

Austin860

I've had a hard time with a few tires, and I always throw a Rachet strap around the middle of the tire, and tighten it up. Then I remove the stem and let the pressure on my pump build up, and POP!

Zeek

Just inflate the tube to maximum pressure to get the tire to seat. Then back off to your desired pressure.

I do that too and use a slippery product like Armor All (any protectant product works) because they go away easy.  I was little surprise the first time I did a tube too how much pressure it took to put the bead back on.

WH nut

I put a tube in my tire and I can't seem to get the tire on and seated again.

You didn't take the whole tire off the rim and are trying to put it back on that way are you

Racinbob

I was going to second what Austin860 said about strapping the perimeter. If you put a tube in it you shouldn't need to but it still might help. The rapid burst of air really isn't needed with the tube. Just be very careful about pinching the tube at the rim.

whanna

Yes i didn't take the tire completely off the rim and i can't get it back on the rim.

KC9KAS

I think he is saying the tire is not completely back on the rim.

Yes, heat helps.....Let it sit in the sun for a few hours then work you way around the bead a little at a time. Be sure to keep the opposite side of the tire in the center groove of the wheel  to give the most amount of tire to work with.

Be sure to keep the inner tube inside the tire and not pinched between the rubber and wheel.....Not just while airing it up, but during the entire tire repair job.

WH nut

If the bead tries to follow you around as you go around, us a vise grips to hold the bead in place where you start it. And soap is your friend.

• Like 1

shorts

assuming that you have the tire completely off of the wheel start by soaping up both of the beads of the tire with liquid dish soap concentrate, I use dawn because my wife doesn't like it and we don't have discussions about whose got her soap bottle,  stand the tire up on the floor and while holding it upright pick up the wheel with the valve hole facing towards the tire and swing the wheel into the tire at an angle trying to jam it thru the tire bead it should stick in the bead, then turn the tire and wheel around and either pry or use a rubber hammer to force the bead the rest of the way onto the rim. lift the tire up on the rim and install the tube into the tire and work it down over the rim and fish the valve stem thru the hole in the wheel and install a holding device/tool to keep it from falling back into the wheel, lay the assembly flat on the floor valve up, start directly across from the valve and push the top bead over the rim and into the center small diameter start working the bead up both sides of the tire towards the valve with your tire irons or levers ( you might want to clamp a pair of visegrips on 1 side of the rim to keep the tire from slipping off while you lever the other side onto the rim0, once you get 3/4 of the tire on 1 last pry near the valve will pop the tire over the rim.  inspect your progress and make sure that the tube isn't pinched between the tire and wheel any where then inflate the tube the tire beads should seat up to the wheel pretty easily with all of the soap/lube that you used.  deflate and re-inflate the tire a couple of times to let the tube find it's happy place in the tire and then install the valve core and adjust your pressure to where you want it

whanna

Thanks. I got it on but somehow punctured the tube in 6 places in the process ( I guess a screwdriver is the wrong tool). I am gonna go out and get another tube and try not to destroy it (I will try a crowbar with tape on the end). Any suggestions on how to make sure the tube doesn't pinch or puncture?

doc724

Been there, done that.  If you do this a lot (like more than once). invest in a small tire changer from Harbor Freight.  They are approx $39 and less with the coupon.  Otherwise, I am told by another RS member that Walmart tire centers can mount these small tires.  You can buy tire "spoons" which are essentially round ended levers to prevent the tube puncture problems.  BTW, the preferred way to mount a new tube in a tire is to put one side of the tire on the rim.  Buy a valve installer tool (again at harbor freight) and feed it thru the  hole in the rim and attach it to the valve.  Push the tube into the rim by hand and pull on the valve tool and the valve will feed nicely thru the the hole in the rim.  Now, using either the tire tool or tire spoons, proceed to get the remaining side of the tire onto the rim.  Even with the harbor freight tire installer tool it is challenging and there is a learning curve.  Lubrication of the bead as suggested by others is needed.

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

And as I'm sure you guys know, put a liberal dose of talcum powder on that tube to aid in its finding a happy home .

• Like 1

shorts

If you are going to do much tire work at all invest in a set of tire spoons at TRACTOR SUPPLY buy 1 straight and 1 curved 18 to 24'' long they make excellent prybars also.

Typically on the small front tires I use 1 spoon ti pry the tire off and 1 spoon in the center hole of the wheel to hold it, also take a large screw driver and grind off the sharp corners and edges and use it for your 3rd lever just to hold the tire bead on top of the rim during removal