Aldon

C-161 Leaking Gas Tank - Need info

Aldon

I bought a C-161 last year which I knew would need body off restoration.

I did not get the priority job of remodeling the wifes kitchen done in time to tackle before we got to grass season.

It runs well now that I have replaced starter...and flywheel (don't ask why on the flywheel :banghead:  ) and I had hoped to use it to mow this summer and resto it over winter.

But It has a gas leak. I fixed one leak which I had hoped was the only leak by replacing the grommet.

This bigger leak is on bottom. There are two indentations. Might have been slightly threaded a long time ago to hold it in place.

Question is....Do any of you know what type of plastic are these made of?

Will the epoxy glues at auto parts box stores adhere to it?

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Aldon

ol550

Many have tried to repair.  Start looking for another tank. :banghead:

oldredrider

The under the seat tanks are plentiful in the used market. Don't waste your time trying to repair it...replace it.

Check with the vendors here on RS, they will hook you up.

Aldon

Well, Thanks for advice gents. No sense treading down a dead end path.

Working with one of them currently....

Dana Bennett

hmm, I will need to ask my brother Al what he used on my tank. I have a 1983? C-195 (I am only guessing it has the same/similar type of plastic fuel tank??) and on the right side bottom it somehow must have had something rub against it a little and it started leaking. Seem to remember it was hard to get something to stick but eventually something did and so far it has lasted many years.

• Like 1

Tankman

The tanks are PE "polyethylene" easy to fix.

Black to block UV rays, destroys PE (polyethylene).

Clean the tank, just to make it look nice!

Now, listen up. Use a soldering gun gently smoothing, melting the PE (polyethylene). Called "plastic welding." Done every day.  :)

Most hardware suppliers sell polyethylene welding rod and, get this, plastic welders.

http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic-welding-kit-with-adjustable-temperature-96464.html

I've repaired week wackers, chain saws, blowers. Lots of plastic, UV cracked or just stressed out.

Really bad holes can be patched with a piece of PE (polyethylene) welded on, like a tire patch.

Have fun and good luck.

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 3

LFDRET

I have 3 tanks, I will give you 1 - just pay for the shipping

Bill 517 646-6822

leeave96

Repairing the tank would be a cool exercise. However, I had a tank on a Wheelhorse that had about 10 years of varnish and gum. I tried everything everything I knew to clean it out. In the end, I found a replacement tank - cheap and easy to install.

Good luck,

Bill

Wheel-N-It

Tankman is correct. I have done this too. I have even repaired several car batteries back in the 80's. They were made out of this same type plastic. I would cut a plastic milk jug into strips and melt them into the crack in the battery plastic. It never failed, they would hold battery plastic and never leak a drop. The kind of soldering iron I used was one of those big old school type soldering irons

Tankman

Repairing the tank would be a cool exercise. However, I had a tank on a Wheelhorse that had about 10 years of varnish and gum. I tried everything everything I knew to clean it out. In the end, I found a replacement tank - cheap and easy to install.

Good luck,

Bill

Use high test fuel and, add one ounce per gallon, Berryman's fuel system cleaner.

Works great!   :)

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/products/gasoline/b-12-chemtool-total-fuel-system-clean-up-t-f-s-c/

Tankman

Good luck,

Bill

Use high test fuel and, add one ounce per gallon, Berryman's fuel system cleaner.

Works great!   :)

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/products/gasoline/b-12-chemtool-total-fuel-system-clean-up-t-f-s-c/

Aldon

I have 3 tanks, I will give you 1 - just pay for the shipping

Bill 517 646-6822

Bill, That is certainly generous and the best offer I have received.

I will reach out to you soon.

Aldon