Crow Horse

B-80 Clutch pedal bounces.....

Crow Horse

My clutch pedal bounces at idle and the belt slaps against the guard making an awful racket.  The belt (non Toro) is a couple of years old.  I haven't opened it up yet but from what I read the clutch spring might be part of the problem.  #1014 isn't available anymore.  I was hoping someone knows of another source for it?

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.....

Edited by Crow Horse

WH nut

If the belt is non OEM that's the problem. More than likely too long.

whfan74

Probably jumped outside of your engine pulley and could be running on the groove. Is it harder to stop the machine and does it just want to take off on you?

Crow Horse

It drives fine. No problems with engagement as well as stopping.When the clutch is depressed it quiets down.  The idler pulley was replaced several years ago and spins ok.....

I was thinking a stretched belt and/or weak spring......

Martin

the spring could be weak but also.......

the belt has probably developed areas where it won't flex and straighten as quickly as it should. think of it like this, as the belt is going around its path, if there are any stiff spots that don't straighten out fully they will pull and tug at the idler pulley moving it slightly back and forth. these areas will be outside of the path that the belt should smoothly follow and hence will hit the guard as well.

a new belt that has been on the shelf for years can have these issues too, but they generally work themselves out.

as far as belts go, some people have good service from aftermarket belts, but I'm not one of them. only one tractor in the past has ever been good for me with one, eventually i just gave up and used oem. 

the belt isn't always the only culprit though......

check the idler pulley even though you say its been replaced several years ago. also where the idler pulley arm pivot shaft goes through the hoodstsnd, the holes and/or shaft will wear over time. this will also cause noise similar to belt slap........

part number 108035 is a good substitute for 1014 from what I've read on the forum.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

From my notes but do not know if it is correct

1014 spring 4.500" between hooks, .070" wire, .520" coil OD, .380 coil ID, 3.570" coil length, 52 + 2 1/2 coils - Replaced by 83-2730 

At one time this was listed 

1014 nla Use 108035 OL 7-3/4", 5/8" diameter coil 6" long, .110"-.112" diameter wire. This sounds like the spring used on the later long frame tractors.

Garry

• Like 1

Crow Horse

Thanks guys!  I dove into it a little this evening.   Pulled the old spring off and it appears that the previous owner had replaced it with something he had laying around, which is just what I did for the interim.  I used an old deck spring that was a bit heavier than what it replaced and the correct length.  It quieted it down substantially, maybe 80+%.  I'm going to replace the belt and inspect the idler pulley. Didn't have time tonight.  I also removed the clutch linkage on the left side, freed the trunnion up and installed with anti-sieze compound. I didn't detect any play in the linkage where it goes to the other side.  I'll post an update when the new belt and if required, a new idler is installed........

Crow Horse

Update.....  Installed a new Toro 7473 belt and an idler pulley.  Noise has been reduce by 95% and is heaps quieter. The clutch engages really nice, much better than the one it replaced. I'm really pleased.  I didn't realize how worn the old belt was.  The old idler spun freely but far different from the new one.  At this point it's case closed.......... Thanks for everyone's advice......

• Like 1